The villa crest

David-Copenhagen

Which crest do you prefere the old round or the present?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which crest do you prefere the old round or the present?

• Old crest
    • New crest

round one of the two on this - much like the badge that has just been re-introduced which is a shame as I've lovingly kept mine for 20 odd years :-)

of them all then just the Lion on it's own with no crest and our motto would be best

Once it stays true to what it should be, I dont mind them fine-tuning it to keep it modern looking. It's bad enough our chairman being an anachronism without our crest being one too.

I like the current one for what it's worth.

Its been changed so many times, but the current one, which is a shield is closer to the original than the roundel (which Middlesborough still use with a rampant lion); I think it wasn’t introduced until the 1950s, though I am sure John Lerwell would know this! The two most important things are the Rampant Lion looking to the left (from our Scottish roots, I guess) and the motto.

A few years back I had a go at redoing it; I must get back to it some time, as the current one leaves a lot to be desired in the detail. The current one was done so they could trademark it I am led to believe

I have the old badge on file, but it's in vector format if that's any use?

For badges other than English Premiership clubs go to www.hqfl.dk, which is the best resource for vector format badges anywhere, ever. There are links on there to a site which has all the English badges too.

But the round one was introduced under Doug Ellis. Anybody that likes it is a sell out. :lol:

Bring back the plain Blue Lion!!

yes I'd agree with the latter bit - oh I already did higher up.

Can anyone remember - where is John Lerwill? - the dates we've changed the crest and any reasons why?

reasons other than egotistical chairmen wanting to of course :mrgreen:

As a Villan of advanced years now, I have always preferred the old crest and remember the problem I had finding an image of it. I think I managed to find this one of an embroidered badge on E bay and I have never really found anything better.

thumb_old%20crest.jpg

I had a Villa tattoo done many years ago of the old (round) crest.

So thanks Herbie for making my tattoo obsolete.

Oh, i prefer the current crest, but i ive learnt my lesson & I wont get a tattoo of the current one, just in case we change it again.

Â