The villa crest

David-Copenhagen

Which crest do you prefere the old round or the present?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which crest do you prefere the old round or the present?

• Old crest
    • New crest

Its been changed so many times, but the current one, which is a shield is closer to the original than the roundel (which Middlesborough still use with a rampant lion); I think it wasn’t introduced until the 1950s, though I am sure John Lerwell would know this! The two most important things are the Rampant Lion looking to the left (from our Scottish roots, I guess) and the motto.

:)

The first time the Villa 'Prepared' badge was introduced was in the 1957 FA Cup Final if I remembers correctly...and a badge has been displayed ever since I think.

BUT... I'm pretty sure that if you look at some very early (1880s) photos, when Villa were playing (I believe) in a all-maroon or claret shirt, the Villa lion was on the shirt. The badge was then dropped until the 1957 appearance...

Was our 1st crest, the City of Birmingham coat of arms?

I seem to recall something about this (that Villa did adopt the City of Brum arms) at some stage, but I've got a feeling that happened late in the 1880s and was a brief appearance. As stated earlier, the Villa lion was almost certainly present beforehand, and afterwards of course.

John you are right, I looked at a picture of 1887 and the players all have crests on, but none were on the shirts until 1957.

In the book Aston Villa 2000: the official graphic history, there is a painting of Ramsey in black shirt with red rampant lion looking right. I am not sure if this is painted from a real source or a fabrication.

John you are right, I looked at a picture of 1887 and the players all have crests on, but none were on the shirts until 1957.

Glad you've found that! Yes, the 1957 Wembley striped strip was specially designed because of the strip clash with Man U, and the badge was brought into it then (and kept for normal use).

In the book Aston Villa 2000: the official graphic history, there is a painting of Ramsey in black shirt with red rampant lion looking right. I am not sure if this is painted from a real source or a fabrication.

I haven't seen that! - I must go out and get some of these books!

• 2 years later...

I just got the Rotterdam retro shirt, and the round badge on it is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't mind if we reintroduced, to be honest.

Though, I still rate the new one as one of the better looking in the Prem.

Of the two, I'd go for the old round one.

We didn't need a crest before '57. We were the famous Aston Villa. Those claret and blue shirts alone were enough to distinguish us. I would like us to return to the round badge, with proper gold thread instead of yellow and the addition of a star for the EC win and the year of our formation.

The round one, mostly 'cause it was the one that was used when I started to support Villa and one of the main things that I chose this wonderful club. But I like this one too, actually.

Was our 1st crest, the City of Birmingham coat of arms?

I seem to recall something about this (that Villa did adopt the City of Brum arms) at some stage, but I've got a feeling that happened late in the 1880s and was a brief appearance. As stated earlier, the Villa lion was almost certainly present beforehand, and afterwards of course.

Just curious about this, what year did Aston become part of Birmingham. wasnt Aston brought under birmingham control in 1911, so why would they bear the city of birmingham crest in the 1880's

I would settle for the old round badge back any day have never liked the new crest i think its because the old one reminds me of the heady days of winning the league and the european cup and it looks more of a traditional badge than the new crest.

Â