Commonwealth Games

hogso

Haven't watched tonight, but does anyone else think it weird being held in Celtic Park? Obviously the monarchy are going to be there. Now so the rumours go (avoiding libel action here) there is a section of Celtic fans that really dislike the monarchy. Surely Hamden would've been more suited?

Shame Bolt didn't do the ceremony or either of the proper sprints. Too much money to be made doing commercials to give the fans something?

He's had major injuries and had surgery earlier in the year. Of course some would argue if he can run in the relay he can do 1 or both of the sprint events too.

So am I right in thinking, like me, people are watching just to see if the English team get booed? 

No they didn't. That officially means the Scotts aren't leaving us then. 

Haven't watched tonight, but does anyone else think it weird being held in Celtic Park? Obviously the monarchy are going to be there. Now so the rumours go (avoiding libel action here) there is a section of Celtic fans that really dislike the monarchy. Surely Hamden would've been more suited?

**** them.

Grumpy gits. The only bad thing was Rod Stewart's attempt to sing...painful.

Really?

I mean i know the budget was MUCH less than London and Russia, but I've not enjoyed any of this. I loved both the London and Russian openers.

Just to throw my tuppence' in on this one. Firstly  Birmingham was never going to get the Olympics.   Manchester was never going to get it either, and after the shitshow which was Atlanta 96 no city which isn't a megacity will get it any time soon. 

I think Brum could host the Commonwealth games if it wanted to, but it's deciding to spend it's money on the "big city plan" instead.   I've said it several times on this forum so I apologise for repeating myself but the rebuilding of Birmingham over the past 15-20 years has been quite incredible, large parts of the centre have changed beyond all recognition and always for the better. I'd rather have that than a couple of weeks of running followed by seeing the Pigdogs get a free stadium. 

Finally the city of culture isn't decided on merit. It's a crutch given to cities which need a bit of help with their image. You don't win it, you are awarded it. Exhibit A is Hull. 

Had to multiquote this from the last page just to make sure I didn't lose it.

I was reading it, nodding my head and agreeing with every word, thinking 'this person knows their shit'. Couldn't see the name, thought 'I bet it's someone like Rev'.

Top post.

I ran with the Malawi national team runners the other day. They were passing through Bromsgrove on their way up to the commonwealth games and did a local 10k as a training run. I say I ran with them, they were alongside me for a split second before disappearing into the distance. They ran the 10k (on a hilly course) in a relaxed 30:42 and 30:47. The closest local runner was 34:35.

Â