Just found out next door is a Half Way House

villanmike

We were told a few years ago that the house next door is a shared house (flat).

Today a council worker came round and spoke to my wife only to mention that she is aware that the house next door is a half-way house.

The house turned into this around 5 years ago (remember we were told it is a shared house - not half-way). 

We have lived in our house around 6 years and 3 Months. Since this house has become a half-way house the area has declined an awful lot.

We wasn't aware in anyway on the house becoming a half-way house before it changed from normal residency. I beleive we should of been alerted to this so we could possibly protest?

Please advise me on anything we can possibly do from here on. It may seem like a long shot but it really doesn't seem fair.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes buy my keyboard is wrecked due to my daughter eating, drinking and bashing it!

Many Thanks.

If you've lived there for 6 years, and it's been a halfway house for 5 of those, and you've only just become aware of the fact, where's the problem?  Have any of the inhabitants caused you any problems directly?

If you've lived there for 6 years, and it's been a halfway house for 5 of those, and you've only just become aware of the fact, where's the problem?  Have any of the inhabitants caused you any problems directly?

Absolutely, a tonne of problems. Like I said the area has been in decline since the house changed. We have had a few problems directly, even to my 5 year old daughter althou none physical. 

Smell of weed is constant, rubbish bins left to rot creating rats which are a burden to us (have spoke to the council about this numerous times). Needles lieing around, I am sure you get the jest of it by now!

Looking for advice to be honest as we wasn't told about this before it happened so we (or the neighboorhood) couldn't protest.

There is a half way house at the other end of the street I live in, it's about five hundreds yards away but I walk past it all the time.   Never been a problem.  The police are always there and I suspect that it's primarily used for young offenders given the age of the people that are in and out of it.   I've barely noticed them at all.  Seems you have had even less hassle than I if you have managed to live next door to one for five years before you realised. :lol: 

What's a half way house?

It's where people go when they are released from prison as a way to adjust themselves back into normal life while they still can be monitored by the police etc to make sure they don't re offend.

Absolutely, a tonne of problems. Like I said the area has been in decline since the house changed. We have had a few problems directly, even to my 5 year old daughter althou none physical. 

Smell of weed is constant, rubbish bins left to rot creating rats which are a burden to us (have spoke to the council about this numerous times). Needles lieing around, I am sure you get the jest of it by now!

Looking for advice to be honest as we wasn't told about this before it happened so we (or the neighboorhood) couldn't protest.

Yet it's only been a problem when you've found out that the house was a halfway house. Prior to knowing that it was just your neighbourhood. 

If you don't like where you live just move. The half way house has been there 5 years so it isn't going anywhere. 

Report genuine incidents when they happen.

But frankly, the house has to be somewhere, you drew the short straw as it were, but after 5 years it's not a decision you're going to reverse so there is an element of suck it up or try and move.

But be careful, if you start complaining about the neighbour's, you'll have to be honest and tell the people that want to buy your house if / when you get a sale. 

Would you feel different if you'd just found out it was a landlord that accepted shitty tenants?

Halfways are necessary, they do actually reduce crime overall. Probs not much of a consolation to you personally, but they are proven to work overall for all of us.

• Like 3

I guess with a young child in your situation I'd have a slight concern about the people being housed there in terms of what crimes did they commit previously ... But it doesn't sound as though it's a half way house for former 70's TV presenters so doesn't look as though you have any large cause for concern based on the previous 5 years

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I am more annoyed at the fact we wasn't told before it became a half-way house so we and the neighbour hood couldn't object, which apprantly we should of had the option.

We only found out yesterday about it even thou it's been over 5 years.

Just to let you know the police are there very often as are the council but they never answer the door to them and hence nothing ever gets done.

I just wondered if we had a leg to stand on as we wasn't 'warned' of the change in the house.

Again, thank you for the replies and if anyone has more information (good or bad) please let me know.

PS UTV!

Edited by villanmike

post-158-0-43056600-1405110371_thumb.png

Clicking on the link gives this - 

In any city, in any country, go to any mental institution or halfway house in you can get yourself to. When you reach the front desk, ask to visit someone who calls himself "The Holder of the End". Should a look of child-like fear come over the workers face, you will then be taken to a cell in the building. It will be in a deep hidden section of the building. All you will hear is the sound of someone talking to themselves echo the halls. It is in a language that you will not understand, but your very soul will feel unspeakable fear. 

Should the talking stop at any time, STOP and QUICKLY say aloud "I'm just passing through, I wish to talk." If you still hear silence, flee. Leave, do not stop for anything, do not go home, don't stay at an inn, just keep moving, and sleep where your body drops. You will know in the morning if you've escaped. 

If the voice in the hall comes back after you utter those words continue on. Upon reaching the cell all you will see is a windowless room with a person in the corner, speaking an unknown language, and cradling something. The person will only respond to one question. "What happens when they all come together?" 

The person will then stare into your eyes and answer your question in horrifying detail. Many go mad in that very cell, some disappear soon after the meeting, and a few end their lives. But most do the worst thing, and look upon the object in the person's hands. You will want to as well. Be warned that if you do, your death will be one of cruelty and unrelenting horror. 

Your death will be in that room, by that person's hands. 

That object is 1 of 538. They must never come together. Never. 

http://theholders.org/?The_Holder_of_the_End

I'd move if I were you...

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 3

Â