Please help save Dean Park...

MikeMcKenna

Hi All

As many of you may know I and a number of other Brummies as part of the Bournemouth AVFC supporters club make the 355 mile round trip for all the home games and where possible  attend as many away games as we can. We currently have around 90 members of which 25-30 attend frequently

Some of us are currently trying to save our local cricket ground from developers. Until 1970, Dean Park was the 2nd county ground for Hampshire, however after county boundary changes Bournemouth became part of Dorset. The ground is currently used by Dorset CC and a  number of local cricket clubs and schools and is an integral part of the local community.

The ground has been used for cricket since 1869 and in just 5 years will be 150 years old and has hosted many great matches including internationals featuring famous cricketers from WG Grace to Ian Botham.

However despite much local opposition and being in a conservation area the "Charitable" Trust that owns land have put it up for sale to the highest bidder. We have succeeded in making the ground "An Asset of Community Value" under the Localism Act but the moratorium runs out in the June. A local community organisation has applied to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a grant to secure the ground as an historical site and to allow cricket and other sports to be played ad infinitum but the decision will not be till July. Bluntly Bournemouth needs more leisure space not more executive homes that few people can afford.

I would be very grateful if my fellow VT'ers and Villa fans  could help another and sign the petition below. It would also be great if you could share with as many other people as possible.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-dean-park-cricket-ground

Many thanks in anticipation

Mike

• Like 1

Done.

Any guy who travels 355 miles round trip to watch the crap that we have to put up with could ask me to help him bury his missus under the patio and I would be there with a spade, so a little signature is nothing.

A little bit of semi-related trivia. The Chief Executive of Hampshire CCC is a Villa fan, although he has never been to Villa Park!

• Like 1

Cheers everyone!!!

Done.

Any guy who travels 355 miles round trip to watch the crap that we have to put up with could ask me to help him bury his missus under the patio and I would be there with a spade, so a little signature is nothing.

A little bit of semi-related trivia. The Chief Executive of Hampshire CCC is a Villa fan, although he has never been to Villa Park!

Thanks thetrees - as Hampshire are the former residents at the ground I will see if I can contact him

Â