Weekends football 12/13 April

andykeenan

Enrique hasn't really done much, even if he is a member of the Barca cult.

He didn't do that badly at Roma actually, laid a lot of the groundwork for their current success. Has done quite well at Celta this season too.

I don't think they'd seriously entertain either Martinez or Rodgers.

Martinez no, I agree.

But Rodgers? His rise to the top has been extraordinary. Why not?

Only because like I've said I think they'll go for someone who knows the club from the inside and who is schooled in the Barcelona way.

Plus I don't think Rodgers would leave Liverpool at this moment in time.

I actually think the style under Guardiola/Vilanova is the style they need to get back to, going by what I've seen of them this season. Just ignore Bayern Munich and their style, I know they're in vogue at the moment but I think they need to stick to what they do best, I don't think they need to become a copycat team they're better than that.

Rodgers wouldn't leave Liverpool for barca, with the added benefit of having security from the sack for at least two seasons at barca? (Due to the first year transfer embargo)

No such thing as security, plus the ban will be overturned.

He'd destroy his (potential) legacy if he upped sticks and left. Plus I don't think Barcelona have necessarily a massively larger appeal to a NI man than Liverpool.

Well, Rodgers decided to become fluent in Spanish for a reason.  Maybe he does have eyes on the Barcelona job.  I'd be very surprised if he left Liverpool this summer though. 

• Like 1

Well, Rodgers decided to become fluent in Spanish for a reason. Maybe he does have eyes on the Barcelona job. I'd be very surprised if he left Liverpool this summer though.

Well it's possible he had huge long term plans and massive self confidence but he wasn't even a manager when he was learning Spanish.

Yes, and it's also possible he would very much like to work in Spain.

Anything is possible but he spent time in Spain studying coaching, Spanish would have helped his cause, probably essential really. Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Like 1

Yeah, Rodgers is really into the Spanish footballing philosophy. He even once was allowed by Del Bosque to watch the national team in their training sessions. You'd think he is destined to manage over there at some point but I can't see him leaving Liverpool anytime soon. In a few years maybe.

I feel like you are all underestimating how big the barca job is. I don't think he'd be worried about his Liverpool legacy, (which should be good anyway if he brings back the title) if he could go to Spain and get the barca job.

That said, I still think Martinez is more of a fit stylistically.

Liverpool are potentially as big as Barcelona. They probably have as many fans globally, if not more.  Barcelona have been incredibly successful in recent seasons but their history isn't really any better than Liverpool's.   I'd imagine at boardroom level at Anfield they have some kind of 'vision' about returning Liverpool to that absolute top tier of clubs and Rodgers is very much a part of that. 

• Like 1

Liverpool are potentially as big as Barcelona. They probably have as many fans globally, if not more. Barcelona have been incredibly successful in recent seasons but their history isn't really any better than Liverpool's. I'd imagine at boardroom level at Anfield they have some kind of 'vision' about returning Liverpool to that absolute top tier of clubs and Rodgers is very much a part of that.

I'm gonna doubt that line about the number of global fans.

I feel like you are all underestimating how big the barca job is. I don't think he'd be worried about his Liverpool legacy, (which should be good anyway if he brings back the title) if he could go to Spain and get the barca job.

I am not underestimating it. Rather I am thinking well enough of Rodgers that I don't believe he'd walk out on his project at Liverpool at the first opportunity.

I am not underestimating it. Rather I am thinking well enough of Rodgers that I don't believe he'd walk out on his project at Liverpool at the first opportunity.

I don't get why that would affect how well you think of him. If he leaves after this year, he'll have left Liverpool in a far better position than he started with them. They improve their position, he gets a better job, i don't see why anyone would've been wronged in that arrangement.

No that's true. I probably should've worded it a bit differently. I mean that I personally see him wanting to stay a while longer at Liverpool before he'd feel ready to move on to a new challenge.

• Like 1

Predictions now 8/16 correct. I need to do better on my scorecast. 

Crystal Palace 1 : 2 Aston Villa

Villa are going to win this. Palace won at Villa Park with the assistance of an inspired Bannan who probably won't even be on the subs bench tomorrow. 

Gabby will score on a breakaway and Holt will get another headed goal. Having gone 0 : 2 up we will concede about 70 minutes from a corner (probably delivered by Bannan if he was brought on as sub).

Fulham 3 : 0 Norwich

Not going to be lacking confidence. Nothing to lose. Although Villa weren't that good Fulham showed good team spirit in that match. Convincing win here as Norwich crack under the pressure, possibly with an early red card. 

Southampton 4 : 0 Cardiff

Rodriguez is injured so it's not going to be great thrashing, just a minor one. Lambert will scored from a freekick and Lallana will score after a passing move. Fonte will head one in from a corner and Ward-Prowse will get a deflected one.

Stoke 1 : 1 Newcastle

Newcastle are trying to get better.  Think they'll manage a draw here with a screamer from Ben Arfa - about time he did something if he wants to go to the World Cup.

Sunderland 1 : 4 Everton

Everton chasing Champions League. Only one winner. Martinez's Wigan always performed strongly at the end of the season (up until they got relegated). This is going to be like a home match. First on match of the day.  Sunderland fans shown walking out after 50 minutes.

West Brom 0 : 0 Tottenham

Not good enough to win it, desperate not to lose it. Tottenham won't be up for this end of season game enough to really compete but will control enough possession to limit the Baggies to very few chances.

Crystal Palace 1 : 2 Aston Villa

Villa result. I thought Gabby would turn up. Seems like he didn't and we lost.

Fulham 3 : 0 Norwich

Fulham won.

Southampton 4 : 0 Cardiff

Southampton lost. The loss of Rodriguez is greater than I thought.

Stoke 1 : 1 Newcastle

Newcastle couldn't quite manage the draw.

Sunderland 1 : 4 Everton

Everton won.

West Brom 0 : 0 Tottenham

This game was drawn.

You can't say villa lost because gabby didn't turn up. Likewise you can't say Southampton didn't hammer Cardiff because of Rodriguez didn't play.

There's too many variables.

At the end of the day, you were just wrong. You over analyse everything to the point that it makes you look mental.

• Like 1

You can't say villa lost because gabby didn't turn up. Likewise you can't say Southampton didn't hammer Cardiff because of Rodriguez didn't play.

There's too many variables.

At the end of the day, you were just wrong. You over analyse everything to the point that it makes you look mental.

How di your predictions for yesterday go then? 

Â