Lonely Planet

donnie

If its in Lonely planet you don't want to go there is the general rule of thumb ( it will be over run with back packers )

I agree with Wainy .. I use wiki for some ideas .... Handy for airline routes in tips on getting around and what to see ...

I find them really useful, but not necessarily for the accommodation. They are, however, really handy for planning a trip in terms of destination ideas and some of the more practical considerations. Trip advisor is your friend for finding the right place to stay.

Edited by Shillzz

One thing I would say is, if you're going to get one (or more), then get them as specific to your destination as you can. For example, The South-East Asia on a shoestring book probably won't have enough information for wherever you're going (it is bloomin' huge though). Instead, get books for your specific area; I have the Thailand Islands book which is really handy, for example.

Oh and also, watch the publish date, you don't want one that's several years old.

You can also put them on display somewhere in your house in classic bellend manner so everyone knows where you've been.

• Like 1

I find them really useful, but not necessarily for the accommodation. They are, however, really handy for planning a trip in terms of destination ideas and some of the more practical considerations. Trip advisor is your friend for finding the right place to stay.

i find with Trip Adviser that the reviews are so far apart 

one will say Best hotel ever

next one will say

Worse hotel ever

invariably you find an American has called it the worse one ever because they didn't have super hi-speed brand-band in the lift and the nearest Starbucks was more than 400 yards away

so you kinda have toaim for the middle ground reviews  

I always use bookings.com seems to have a fairer ratings system

One thing I would say is, if you're going to get one (or more), then get them as specific to your destination as you can. For example, The South-East Asia on a shoestring book probably won't have enough information for wherever you're going (it is bloomin' huge though). Instead, get books for your specific area; I have the Thailand Islands book which is really handy, for example.

Oh and also, watch the publish date, you don't want one that's several years old.

You can also put them on display somewhere in your house in classic bellend manner so everyone knows where you've been.

:D   .... they are the same people that leave all the stickers on their suitcase 

next one will say

Worse hotel ever

invariably you find an American has called it the worse one ever because they didn't have super hi-speed brand-band in the lift and the nearest Starbucks was more than 400 yards away

Yeah you absolutely have to read a few of the posts and make your own mind up, but it's a good starting to point to atleast find a couple of suitable hotels.

Tbh, I'm new to the whole planning thing, so i'm sure i'll nail it down the more I do it, but for the big trip i've got coming up in a couple of weeks I've found TripAdvisor & Lonely Planet to be pretty helpful. NZ has a site called Rankers which is really very good, just a shame that it hasn't gone global yet.

next one will say

Worse hotel ever

Yeah you absolutely have to read a few of the posts and make your own mind up, but it's a good starting to point to atleast find a couple of suitable hotels.

Tbh, I'm new to the whole planning thing, so i'm sure i'll nail it down the more I do it, but for the big trip i've got coming up in a couple of weeks I've found TripAdvisor & Lonely Planet to be pretty helpful. NZ has a site called Rankers which is really very good, just a shame that it hasn't gone global yet.

Fodors isn't bad but they are very snobby

I made a post about how i got a visa for Laos at the freedom bridge for about $20 and got abused by some snotty poster for not being precise and that it's $25 and i was giving false information

I told him to do one of course , I'm used to Villatalk  :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lonely planets are a weird one. I visited china and found parts really useful. It gave a great recommendation for a Great Wall site and the directions to get there were very helpful. However, in Xian some of the directions were not accurate and a restaurant it recommended was quite possibly the rudest I've been to.

a restaurant it recommended was quite possibly the rudest I've been to.

Welcome to China :)
The place next door was excellent though. I spoke no Chinese, they no English, but they were so friendly and helpful
Yeah had a few like that (well many tbf ) but China is notorious for its rude waiters and taxi drivers

Probably worth having one (as people have said to find out where to avoid!). See if you can find a second hand copy though. Don't trust the maps in them, misleading! Also the accommodation in there... their 'budget' options were well outside of my budget! I took one to SE Asia and used it a bit but not like I had thought I would be before I went.

In seriousness, i've leafed through a few and some decent points and tips in there but in this modern age, the internet is your friend, A bit of research online about your destinations will be more valuable and up to date than any guide book. 

Â