Weekends football 1/2 Feb

andykeenan

I must be the only person who thinks that was a red then.

Carroll did nothing to avoid connecting with Flores. Certainly wasn't accidental contact. It was accidentally on purpose.

There must be some sort of mistake. Palace are losing but Bannan is on the pitch?! I don't understand.

Didn't start the match.

• Like 1

Don't really see how it's a red, even if he meant to it's not particularly violent, and that's a big if. Yellow at the most, if that's seriously considered violent conduct then there should be a sending off every game

It depends how the FA view it, after watching the replay first time round I thought it was a red because he knew what he was doing, there seemed to be intent, after seeing that gif he does also appear to aim a punch first.

Doesn't look like Carroll did anything wrong to me but maybe i'm missing something.

As said, depends how the FA interpret his movements during the incident, from my pov it looked he knew what he was doing with the flailing elbow, and that's without the punch he appears to aim at Flores.

It wouldn't surprise me if the decision is over turned, but if also wouldn't be a surprise if the decision stood.

Hah, watching Athletic Bilbao vs Real M. Ibai Gomez comes on in the 70th min and takes a free kick as the first action, a defender clears with a header and it falls to Ibai who smashes it via the post. And 30 seconds later Ronaldo is sent off with a straight red.

Don't really see how it's a red, even if he meant to it's not particularly violent, and that's a big if. Yellow at the most, if that's seriously considered violent conduct then there should be a sending off every game

You can't hit a player in anyway, no doubt it's soft but the game is gone soft.

So why does gaizka mendieta, born and bred in Spain & real Madrid man say lo-pez and then the sky pricks in studio on comms try and say it in a lisping Spanish accent like low-peths

ITS LOPEZ, LO-PEZ.. LOPEZ! for **** sake

Edited by Jimzk5

Just saw the Carroll sending-off, and I'm not 100% sure what to think about it. He is obviously hassled by Chico for several seconds and he is obviously annoyed by it. Someone mentioned accidentally on purpose and I think that's what's going on. He seems to aim his erect arm in his direction, and the most telling sign is his reaction afterwards. Had he hit him just by accident he would have coiled his arm and made a gesture of innocence (like everyone doing something by accident), but he just looks at the ref, not at the player he obviously doesn't have much time for.

But can you send a player off when you don't know what his intentions were? it's not like he hit him with a straight elbow to the nose, he barely bumped his head and Chico overreacts.

Speaking of Spanish (league) players overreacting, just saw Ronaldo's red card against Bilbao. Classic situation. Ronaldo barely touches the player, he goes to the ground holding his head and all his team-mates gather around and then the referee shows the red card. It was nothing, I am glad we don't see that in the Premier League every weekend. Both the poor refereeing in terms of such situations and 15 players gathering around him to force the decision. Should be written off that red card, but I don't know how the Spanish FA reacts to violent situations. The Bilbao players are obviously trying to get a red card for the best player on the pitch and they succeed.

You can't hit a player in anyway, no doubt it's soft but the game is gone soft.

Saying that that is "hitting" a player is a stretch. The bigger issue I have is fa rules making it an automatic 3 games. That's absurdly excessive, set the punishment on a case by case basis.

He did it twice though. He scratched Iturraspe's face aswell, while ref was watching.

Define "scratch"...

He touches him, gently pushes him or whatever you call it, and a grown man goes to the ground in agony (before realizing he probably looks silly and goes right up). Then another team-mate comes rushing over into Ronaldo's face and escalates the situation.

Â