Benefit Street

supernova26

They go on about how these benefit claimants live a life of luxury but the reality is they don't. I see it as propaganda too. Is it near VP? 

Couple of miles away, that road specifically I'd say Villa Park is closest to but The Hawthorns probably slightly closer to the area in general. Basically pretty much in between the two.

I agree that it seems very much like propaganda, "look at these people on benefits and how badly they live" followed by episode 2, "look at these immigrants and how badly they live."

Edited by samjp26

West of the City Centre. Wouldn't really say it's a staunch Villa area. More likely full of Brummie Reds (who are lower than bluenoses imo).

Baggies and Villa fans mainly.

You'll know better than me to be fair mate. I just always got the impression that people in the inner city would more likely not follow the local teams, Not to say that we don't draw any support from those areas.  

Its about 3 or 4 miles from me, I know where the road is but couldn't really tell you if it is a true representation of the goings on in that area, I would however say that it wouldn't surprise me as I know some other area's that are pretty much as the first episode showed it to be.

Media fabrication to focus on the small percentage of people at the bottom taking £70+ a week in tax money rather then focusing on those at the top taking £1000's and £1000's a week in tax payers money.

Tired of hearing people at work 'sickened' by these so called benefit scroungers the media portray. What on earth do they want them to do?! Their isnt enough jobs to go around for graduates let alone for people with no qualifications or any idea of how to communicate properly, dress properly etc. Im happy these 'scroungers' get my £70 a week tax money as long as it stops them robbing and being on the streets.

• Like 3

Media fabrication to focus on the small percentage of people at the bottom taking £70+ a week in tax money rather then focusing on those at the top taking £1000's and £1000's a week in tax payers money.

Tired of hearing people at work 'sickened' by these so called benefit scroungers the media portray. What on earth do they want them to do?! Their isnt enough jobs to go around for graduates let alone for people with no qualifications or any idea of how to communicate properly, dress properly etc. Im happy these 'scroungers' get my £70 a week tax money as long as it stops them robbing and being on the streets.

Bang on mate.

I'd also like to point out that "White Dee" in the program, who seemingly runs that road, seems to be doing more to help that piss head than the Government. Churning out £70 a week isn't going to help him, it will just feed his addiction, yet there is a regular woman actually taking his money from him and making sure he pays his bills, buys new clothes and so on. 

I know many people in the area that are stuck within a cycle of crime or benefits because they simply feel they can't get out of it, they aren't given any real help to make a proper living and don't have the mentality or social skills to do it on their own. The schools in the area are crap, I know people that can't read or write, which you can say is their own fault to a degree but taking the piss out of them isn't going to help anything. These people need to be taught, they need to be given knowledge, help and guidance - they need to be shown a clear path out of the gutter and may even need to be given a hand to hold whilst taking that path.

My Mum was made redundant and landed on benefits, not for the first time mind, with no real qualifications or job prospects beyond cleaning and such. She decided to take an Access course after simply coming across it, not knowing what on earth it was initially but reading that it was a year long course that could get you into University, something she had wanted to do for years but was told it could never happen all the way back to her own school days. That was in 2008, she is now studying for her PhD. Imagine how many more could be doing the same if they actually knew it was possible.

Edited by samjp26

though what it showed was someone getting £70/wk and also robbing (shoplifting).

not forgetting the couple who were getting £1500+ a month through benefit fraud.

or the 'community' cannabis farm they set up... until one of them stole all the cannabis. 

it was a great programme, comedy gold.

I'd also like to point out that "White Dee" in the program, who seemingly runs that road, seems to be doing more to help that piss head than the Government. Churning out £70 a week isn't going to help him, it will just feed his addiction, yet there is a regular woman actually taking his money from him and making sure he pays his bills, buys new clothes and so on. 

I know many people in the area that are stuck within a cycle of crime or benefits because they simply feel they can't get out of it, they aren't given any real help to make a proper living and don't have the mentality or social skills to do it on their own. The schools in the area are crap, I know people that can't read or write, which you can say is their own fault to a degree but taking the piss out of them isn't going to help anything. These people need to be taught, they need to be given knowledge, help and guidance - they need to be shown a clear path out of the gutter and may even need to be given a hand to hold whilst taking that path.

My Mum was made redundant and landed on benefits, not for the first time mind, with no real qualifications or job prospects beyond cleaning and such. She decided to take an Access course after simply coming across it, not knowing what on earth it was initially but reading that it was a year long course that could get you into University, something she had wanted to do for years but was told it could never happen all the way back to her own school days. That was in 2008, she is now studying for her PhD. Imagine how many more could be doing the same if they actually knew it was possible.

what i liked was the guy from the area who set-up his own business selling basic goods at 50p a cup.

Sam, "white dee" stole £13,000 in her job as an admin assistant to fund her blokes drug habbit.

Real diamond she is

EDIT - it was "black dee" that was busted for drugs

Edited by Jimzk5

Sam, "white dee" is out on police bail atm for selling drugs, and stole £13,000 in her job as an admin assistant to fund he blokes drug habbit.

Real diamond she is

I didn't say she was a diamond and I am going off what I see, I do not know her, although after quickly Googling I see "Black Dee" is on bail but hasn't actually been charged with anything. 

The premise of what I said still stands, people need help in more ways than a simply financial top-up every 2 weeks, especially if they have drug or drink addictions.

Edited by samjp26

Â