8th Highest Attendance....

smetrov

It's also the price of the tickets. Although shite hart lane is 6,000 less than Villa Park, I am certain Spurs  get more gate receipts due to mental pricing. I wouldn't even be suprised if West Ham get more income in from season tickets than us.  Had we filled out Villa Park all the time under O'Neill,got into the champions league and had a new North Stand then that would have finally put us into the big time. It didn't happen, and that is why we are muddling along in lower mid table waiting for Lerner to sell up to the next idiot.

I agree.

The only teams who should be spending more than us are MUFC, MCFC, CFC, AFC, THFC and LFC.

We should be paying the same wages as EFC and NUFC.

That's not how football works though. By your logic Leeds should be spending more than some PL clubs.

If they were in the PL then yes but obviously not without the TV money.

Leeds deserves to be in the PL, their history and supporters are a lot more impressive than some russian millionaire buying a top status. (but that's a completely different discussion)

• 10 years later...

Apparently we still have the 8th highest attendance in the league this season with an average PL attendance of 41,765.

Behind Man Utd, West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle (in order).

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2023-2024/1/

So what is our official stadium capacity?  I thought we sold out a few times, but none of our highest attendances come to the same number. 

Wolves was our highest with 42,640 which was 200 higher than our second highest attendance. How come we had a higher capacity for that particular game?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/aston-villa/attendances

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Apparently we still have the 8th highest attendance in the league this season with an average PL attendance of 41,765.

Behind Man Utd, West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle (in order).

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2023-2024/1/

So what is our official stadium capacity?  I thought we sold out a few times, but none of our highest attendances come to the same number. 

Wolves was our highest with 42,640 which was 200 higher than our second highest attendance. How come we had a higher capacity for that particular game?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/aston-villa/attendances

42,640 is listed as our official capacity. So we sold out and everybody turned up vs Wolves.

The rest of the time will be down to a couple of things

• The Terrace View tickets
  • People not showing up
  • Away Allocations - sometimes seats are blocked from Away purchase but also not able to be sold to Home fans

Not maximising capacity isn't necessarily lost ticket revenue to the club's as they may have the revenue already from Season Tickets or people not showing up for personal reasons with a ticket they bought.

But things the club can do to maximise matchday revenues and minimise these gaps.

• Price games effectively, a couple early cup games were priced badly
  • Don't mark games as sold out when they are not
  • Release Terrace View tickets sooner to general sale
  • Improve reselling systems
  • Maximise away allocation efficiency, either in number or location. To ensure maximum seats are available without "lost" seats to separate fans
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

42,640 is listed as our official capacity. So we sold out and everybody turned up vs Wolves.

The rest of the time will be down to a couple of things

• The Terrace View tickets
  • People not showing up
  • Away Allocations - sometimes seats are blocked from Away purchase but also not able to be sold to Home fans

I don't think this matters does it - If a seat is sold it counts towards attendance even if they don't turn up.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

But we're really nitpicking there, when we're talking 2-300 tickets. The efficiencies are pretty good. It could also be wheelchair seating not selling for example. 

We're getting very close to topping out the efficiencies we can get from the stadium as it is. We have started to see some of this already but the next options will be

• Increase revenue per fan with drinks/food or hospitality options
  • Increase cost per ticket
  • Increase capacity; stand rebuilds, more safe standing, filling in the corners 
  • New stadium

Something going to have to give. The cost saved by not building the new North stand will be great, but the revenue desire will be passed onto the fan in one way or another.

The balance the club need to find is how much they can screw out of the fans before they need to bite the bullet on a big infrastructure project. 

• Like 1

Our capacity changes for certain games I’m sure of it. No way was there more demand for wolves than there was city or Arsenal although city was midweek.  Most games have been sell outs this season regardless of the attendance given. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I don't think this matters does it - If a seat is sold it counts towards attendance even if they don't turn up.

Really? I mean maybe but I always assumed the live "attendance" called out on matchday was usually once they'd reviewed the number of tickets scanned on the turnstiles and allowed for late arrivals and ticket purchases etc.

They normally have it in the 2nd half, where as they could easily give it before kickoff if it was just based on tickets sold?

We declared 42,789 for the game against Manchester City - that's the official club figure.

It suspiciously beat our previous high recent figure in 2009-10 by 1 person and is our highest attendance for at least the last fifteen years.

The club 'declares' these figures, so sometimes the difference is what they do and don't include - I'm guessing if you want to set a little record, you include everyone but the linesmen.

(Probably. I have a recent history of mistakes).

34 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

They normally have it in the 2nd half, where as they could easily give it before kickoff if it was just based on tickets sold?

We've stopped announcing it in the second half, and figures now sometimes don't even appear in the next matchday programme. They appear to be carefully vetted under our new management.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We declared 42,789 for the game against Manchester City - that's the official club figure...

(Probably. I have a recent history of mistakes).

41,421 was reported by all the media outlets for that game.

I think there are two things, unrelated also to take into account - the number of seats in the ground is the 42,765 (or whatever), but some are not used because they have almost no view of the pitch (Witton lane corner of the lower Holte) or are cordoned off for segregation. The other thing is there are two sets of attendances - the "announced" attendance, though as you say we seem to have stopped announcing them, and the actual attendance which has to be reported to the Premier League (or FA or EFL for cup games). Announced figures are normally tickets sold so include season tickets and match day tickets which are not taken up on the day, because people can't make it or whatever.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:
41,421 was reported by all the media outlets for that game.

The club have reported it as 42,789. It's still in the programme as that and was discussed as a side conversation at one of the FAB meetings as I wondered about it being 1 more than the previous highest. I think the media have a punt at it - we're so secretive with our attendances that they're forced to either leave them off their official reports or report what they can. Our own reporting is terrible - we had the Ajax attendance down as just over 30,000 for a couple of weeks after the game. That said, the Premier league website has it at 41,421 andI have a feeling that Mr Heck just wanted the highest 21st century attendance under his belt.

I think to some extent the final figure has an element of choice for the club and I think most of our fluctuation is in hospitality seating. At that meeting, it was suggested that each chairman or CEO tends to have a figure in mind that they consider to be a full house and will report at that number.

It's a pity it's become so muddy, the club has for as long as I can remember announced the attendance during the game, but we seem to be in a position where that's no longer acceptable.

• Haha 1

It's difficult to decide what is a full house or sell out as some areas are blocked off for different games.

We probably haven't sold out out for a while because of this. I don't understand the secrecy behind attendance figures, it's not like there's a competition or anything

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Announced figures are normally tickets sold so include season tickets and match day tickets which are not taken up on the day, because people can't make it or whatever.

I wonder if you can have attendance figures higher than the stadium capacity?  

Villa sell all the tickets which includes season tickets. Some seats then get resold through the club, so the club has sold that seat/ticket again. 
They could count it each time they sell it if they wanted. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The club have reported it as 42,789. It's still in the programme as that and was discussed as a side conversation at one of the FAB meetings as I wondered about it being 1 more than the previous highest. I think the media have a punt at it - we're so secretive with our attendances that they're forced to either leave them off their official reports or report what they can. Our own reporting is terrible - we had the Ajax attendance down as just over 30,000 for a couple of weeks after the game. That said, the Premier league website has it at 41,421 andI have a feeling that Mr Heck just wanted the highest 21st century attendance under his belt.

It wasn’t 42,789, like you say the club public reporting of attendances is bobbins. But that’s more than the capacity of the ground.

The 41,421 was what I believe was released to the media. Premier League rules require that clubs must report actual number of people attending to them within a specified timescale.

The programme also sometimes misprints attendances, though it’s been years and years since I bought one.

Anyway, it’s just talking about precise numbers. The demand is there from people. The club just need to match demand with affordability issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wonder if you can have attendance figures higher than the stadium capacity?  

Villa sell all the tickets which includes season tickets. Some seats then get resold through the club, so the club has sold that seat/ticket again. 
They could count it each time they sell it if they wanted. 

They can say what they want, I guess, but I don’t think they go to those lengths of double counting tickets sold

Â