The VT writers cove...

Dodgyknees

Any writers here?

We've got a readers digest thread, but I wondered if we have any writers here? I have four books on the go, with another 3,200 in my head.

Ouch.

Currently working on a book for kids, one for teens and one that would interest adults..

I better not get bits mixed up, I'm not sure Tommy, aged 5, will want to read about a young girl who sets up her teacher, kills him, then goes missing.

So, writers, throw those pens in the air... .NOW!

• Like 2

It's always something I've thought I'd be capable of, but never had the time or inclination to get started.

I have the idea for a story in my head, and I'm convinced it could be very good.

It's always something I've thought I'd be capable of, but never had the time or inclination to get started.

I have the idea for a story in my head, and I'm convinced it could be very good.

Do you know what, I used to think that way. I have had some good feedback on my book for children and then suddenly I had more and more ideas.

The one I am struggling with is for teens, so have started a blog as inspiration.  :D

I'm not sure I could get a novel out of my idea, purely because I don't think I'm capable of writing that.

But a short story could work. Like I said, I have the idea in my head, and know exactly how I'd like the story to go. It's just a matter of whether I could ever be a good enough writer to do it justice.

Yeah I should give it a crack at some point.

I did consider doing that novel in a month thing that people do (in November I think). Where you have to just write for a month and put out whatever it is you're left with (so no editing and redrafting etc etc. Just whatever you come up with). But then, you know, couldn't be arsed!

Other than that I don't really know where to start!

Where's your blog?

• Like 1

Blog is in my sig, it is a little empty right now.

This one? itsaboutarchie.wordpress.com?

I think about writing sometimes, now I have a bit of time on my hands now I have a desk job but to be honest with you (You may guess from my posts) I'm not a very good writer haha.

A few people I know say I should write an account of some of the things I've encountered in my work life (Security) and I tried but in my opinion, it wasn't very good.

"Then this happened, then he said "Oi!" and I said "Calm down, sir" and he said "No!"....

Was like that ^  :mellow: (Although there's been more exciting times than that I promise)

A few years ago a guy wanted to write a book about me  :blush:  but then it seemed he lost interest (Once he'd got to know me haha)

• Like 1

I also get these mad visions in my head when I'm drunk so I tend to write them down as well (when I can remember it). For months, I'd seen this vision of a Polish guy dying in an alley with a bullet in his stomach. I started writing around this scene and soon I'd created this Cold-War/ Modern day fusion novel.

It's all in note form at the moment though.

Blog is in my sig, it is a little empty right now.

This one? itsaboutarchie.wordpress.com?

I think about writing sometimes, now I have a bit of time on my hands now I have a desk job but to be honest with you (You may guess from my posts) I'm not a very good writer haha.

A few people I know say I should write an account of some of the things I've encountered in my work life (Security) and I tried but in my opinion, it wasn't very good.

"Then this happened, then he said "Oi!" and I said "Calm down, sir" and he said "No!"....

Was like that ^  :mellow: (Although there's been more exciting times than that I promise)

A few years ago a guy wanted to write a book about me  :blush:  but then it seemed he lost interest (Once he'd got to know me haha)

Yeah that is my blog :)

You should write a book about life in security, but just add fictional accounts too, could be quite amusing!

AVFC Hitz, that sounds right up my street!

Designer1, tell us more :)

In my Film Studies A-Level, I wrote a pilot script about a lesbian time-travelling cop.  It was terrible.

You've met my cousin?

- P.S, read about John Titor, wish I had got there first!

• Like 2

I shouldn't.  I actually got a decent grade, but I'm fairly certain that's only because my strategy of repeatedly using the words "Eisenstein", "juxtapostion" and "chiaroscuro lighting" worked.

I shouldn't.  I actually got a decent grade, but I'm fairly certain that's only because my strategy of repeatedly using the words "Eisenstein", "juxtapostion" and "chiaroscuro lighting" worked.

mis-en-scene. 

dystopic view.

I know the drill with that bollocks.

• Like 1

Actually, I still think you should write it but it was missing one thing -

"Lesbian time-travelling ROBOT cop."

Now it's ready.

Actually, I still think you should write it but it was missing one thing -

"Lesbian time-travelling ROBOT cop."

Now it's ready.

Can I suggest lots of nudity, I also think we should get Amy Adams for any film role.

Nude.

Lots.

Ok, this is going off topic.  :D

My late father who was a part time journalist for a local paper always told me that he wanted to write a book. However the difficulty he always found was to create pictures in people's minds and it takes a special talent to be able to do that.

I have considered writing a book myself concerning the history of my bad neighbour and trying to deal with a governmental institution that is ignoring all their own policies to protect her.

I would be writing it from the point of view to help those people in the same position as myself and for those who might suffer a bad neighbour in the future.

I've actually had three bad neighbours in beside me over a period of ten years. Those neighbours being council tenants had been problematic elsewhere and I have kept a daily record of events in diaries.

I actually returned to where I spent my childhood in the same house and it has proven a disastrous move for me but the start of my book would encompass those childhood memories and then contrasting those memories with the area and the type of people who live in that area now which would then lead into my problematic neighbours and having to deal with the local council who have basically lied for ten years.

The worry is though with someone like myself who suffers from depression revisiting those events which was the cause of my illness in the first place. Not only that but starting the book and then finding that you don't have the ability to write it which would be devastating.

• Like 1

People always tell me that I should write a book because of how **** up in the head I am, I don't think like other people and I am a massive horror boffin, so people generally think I would do a good job of a twisted horror story.

I often find myself thinking about it and seeing things happen (could be anywhere, on my way to work, looking out of my window, in the pub, or even watching the telly) and thinking that would fit perfectly into a book.

I always write my dreams down (I actually have a dream diary) and when people start blathering on about a weird dream they had people generally lose interest but I actually get my mates and people I work with asking me if I've had any crazy dreams so they must be kind of interesting, and when I read back through them (usually months after I have had them) I am amazed at the kind of shit that I pen down at 2,3 or 4am in the morning and I am pretty sure that off the back of a few of them I could get a decent story together.

I'd love to give it a go, I can pretty much play a film out in my head its just putting it onto paper where I struggle.

Edited by leemond2008

Â