The VT writers cove...

Dodgyknees

I have a few ideas of a few books in my head, each I find could be very interesting, but never gave it a real go. I tried once. Wrote down a prologue and the first chapter and were pretty satisfied, but then the computer broke down and it was all gone. Never tried since. Hope I will some day. I was rather young then and have got a few advices that might be usefull if I ever try it out.

The key is have a compelling story to tell. Once you have that, I'd take a creative writing course/workshop to nail down the actual craft of it. You don't even have to be that talented a writer. Publish it, get a movie deal and live happily ever after.

"The Da Vinci Code" springs to mind. Good story, terrible writing.

It's the writers who have amazing stories to tell and do so with skill and artistry that I admire. It's a rare combination.

Is the thread title missing an apostrophe?  :)

It's a statement, suggesting that the VT writers regularly apply decorative mouldings to the ceilings of their rooms. 

• Like 2

I have a very loose script for a TV thing that is basically Vanishing Point, but transposed to the mundanity of walking across town to deliver a package.

En route, capers, architecture and new music. Essentially a series of promo's for bands with a theme and links.

Trouble is 'new' music doesn't stay 'new' long enough to get a full 2 or 3 30 minutes slots tied more or less coherently together without some of it becoming 'old' music. The solution, next time I pick it up, is to have it as more of a review.

It'll be a bit more inclusive than Later with Jools anyway.

I'm mulling some ideas around for a short story idea that could become something a little bigger.

I'm quite into my writing. I love to think I'd write a really good story just once in my life. I have a journalism qualification but the reason I'm leaning more towards advertising and PR in my job hunt is because it allows you to be a bit more creative. My experience in journalism has so far been writing a lot of fact, and that's just not what I want to write about.

Did anyone try National Novel Writing Month back in November? It sounds really good. You write a story in a month and can get together with other writers and bounce ideas around. It's just a ways of keeping track of things and pushing you to write a little each day. I didn't have a decent idea at the time so I didn't get very far. One of my friends has a couple of stories on the go at the moment. She's a very talented writer. I'm hoping that she'll make it big so I can bask in her reflected glory ;)

I'll let you guys know if I progress with anything, but right now most of my time is spent on job hunting. Good shout to start a thread though.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

All these writers and yet whenever I've asked in the past for writers for the site, nothing.

Amazing really.

In all seriousness I never actually knew it was something that was needed/wanted. If it still is that is. 

Yeah me neither, though if I ended up writing an opinion piece on the Villa it would just turn into a moan and I don't want to subject people to that. I do that enough as it is.

Is the thread title missing an apostrophe? :)

It's a statement, suggesting that the VT writers regularly apply decorative mouldings to the ceilings of their rooms.

Look+at+that+wonderful+execution.+gt+Cal

Haha didn't even norltice that. What idio... Oh..

I set up the "Blogs" link at the top of every page as people had asked for that many times in the past. It's been a year since anyone's posted to it.

We were searching for writers continuously. I gave up when we moved to the new site (due to the lack of interest) - that's why the new site doesn't have a front page and opens straight into the forum. John's match reports have survived and are syndicated to VT's Google+, Facebook and Newsnow presences.

If there are people who want to write for VT then indicate so in this thread and I'll sort out some better information.

• Like 1

I set up the "Blogs" link at the top of every page as people had asked for that many times in the past. It's been a year since anyone's posted to it.

We were searching for writers continuously. I gave up when we moved to the new site (due to the lack of interest) - that's why the new site doesn't have a front page and opens straight into the forum. John's match reports have survived and are syndicated to VT's Google+, Facebook and Newsnow presences.

If there are people who want to write for VT then indicate so in this thread and I'll sort out some better information.

I can do one or two each month.

All these writers and yet whenever I've asked in the past for writers for the site, nothing.

Amazing really.

To quote Sarah Silverman, anyone who tells you they are thinking about doing something, are never going to do it.

Even so, I think it is easier to get writers than readers, and without the readers, the huge amount of time and effort seems futile.

Giving up on blogs was the right conclusion. 

Â