Bolton Wanderers

PaulC

Bolton have announced they are £163.8m in debt after parent company Burnden Leisure PLC released its figures for the year ending June 2013 - the club's first season in the Championship.

Thats scary for a club of their size.

I was going to post this earlier in the relegation thread for those who think any good can come from relegation. For every Newcastle who re-group and bounce back stronger, there are ten Boltons who flounder and struggle.

The problem is not just relegation though is it. If they had of managed their wage bill better like we are doing  then they would be able survive being relegated. All clubs should manage within their means. 

Building up debt while in the prem should never, ever happen like Bolton did. It's similar to countries that build up debt while they have a good economy. When things go bad, you're screwed.

Which makes me think that what Lerner is doing is right. 

Building up debt while in the prem should never, ever happen like Bolton did. It's similar to countries that build up debt while they have a good economy. When things go bad, you're screwed.

Hard and fast is not always the best solution, he is trying to it back at a rate which is also very harmful. One extreme to another.

Edited by dodgyknees

Hard and fast is not always the best solution, he is trying to it back at a rate which is also very harmful. One extreme to another.

Yes good point

A club that overspent, had a massive unsustainable wage structure, didn't really achieve anything, owed a huge amount of money to its owner and is now struggling.

Where have I seen that before  :ph34r: .

That is  a chronic debt built on years of spending above their needs. It is mental how much broadcasting revenue drops when you get relegated- from 42 million to 19 millon, of which 16 million is the parachute payment. They are still spending over 37 million on wages which is crazy. Over 150 million is owned to the owner so I guess they are safe from administration. They were punching above their weight to spend over 10 years in the premier league when you consider they have 2 of the richest clubs in the world on their virtual doorstep. On another issue I have read that Chelsea lost 49 million this year- and still make the ffp rules. Go figure.

It is also a crazy amount of debt considering for years under san allardyce they only signed free transfer players

I think that their debt was only around £20 million before the start of the 07/08 season. It was the signings after that have financially crippled them, like Johan Elmandher. 

Is that £163m lost in the last 12 months or total? Chelsea have lost best part of £50m this year, I expect their total is many times more than this.

Its their total net debt gone up from about 130 mil the year before

Â