Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

I mean, Hogg and Bannan our midfield pairing against United! I rest my case...

And that was actually one of our best midfield displays in recent years! ;)

One of our best displays full stop until the last 10 minutes. One of many games that season that we should've killed off beyond doubt.

So? Is he also being told to play awful football? I think its seems a bit dim to want him to stay given how bad the football is. Its fine to keep mentioning being in 11th but I'll print this page out and eat it if we stay there or higher. We are currently limping to 44 points but after the next four games I bet that will be closer to 38. Given the money spent and the time had I don't see why just staying up is such an achievement nor is anything below 45 points.

OK well all I'd say is be careful what you wish for.  A new manager might improve things but given the seemingly prohibitive restrictions he is working under, he might easily make things worse aswell (positionally).  As we're comfortable at the moment with a transfer window coming up, I think it'd be madness to change.  I just think people are slightly underestimating the task at hand.  The worry for me is more to do with the fact that if we don't progress as expected, then eventually the manager (and I mean any manager) will be unable to continue performing miracles with a squad being paid relative buttons in a league where everyone else is paying more.

We aren't comfortable

Not everyone else is paying more

Finishing between 40 - 55 points is all very so what, that in mind I just want to watch good football and maybe just maybe win a cup or at least have a run at one. Its about enjoyment there is nothing enjoyable about watching your team struggle to break down a poor league one side with almost your first team. Nothing enjoyable about a hoof styled football, nothing enjoyable about spending most of the time in your own half hoping for a gift from the opposition.

Scoring once in the first half at home is not ok at any level of spend.

We finished ninth under Houllier with a squad minus Milner but instead we had the brilliant Stephen Ireland. I think Houllier gets a rough ride on here.

We didn't finish 9th under Houllier because he didn't come until September and was out of action from April. In his 28 matches he managed to get us down to 18th by this stage in the 2010/11season. He started to get us out of it by blowing nearly all the available transfer budget on one player who was then put on  a massive salary and has been a drain on our resources ever since.

Oh, and he fell out with half the squad and many of the fans.

Hardly one for the Hall Of Fame.

• Like 3

If all managers were judged on slashing the wage bill for instance then many of us would be Premiership managers as any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk into a club and do that.

Ultimately managers are rightly judged on results and the stats say with increasing regularity that under Lambert our results haven't been anywhere near good enough.

Laughable as the slashing of the wage bill affects results. I doubt any tom, dick or harry could slash the wage bill yet keep the team in the league.

With Lambert's current record to date I don't think Tom, Dick or Harry would have too much to beat.

Edited by Morpheus

Wrong again VIllaCas.

McClaren resigned from FC Twente in 2013. Sacked / Resigned....Pot-at-o / Pot-ah-to

You and several other posters in desperation have now started to defend Lambert by stating that there is no other manager out there who could possibly do better than Lambert No there are plenty of managers who potentially could do a better job it's just that Steve McClaren isnt one of them under current conditions. Indeed you have then asked for names, been given names and then ridiculed those names based on our present manager's record which to be kind has been the wrong side of average.

I've just given you another with a much better record than our present manager and you have proven again that your opinion of Lambert is based on nothing more than blinkered bias. As I've stated before many times, I wasn't pushing for Lambert before he came but now he is here I appreciate what a difficult job he has and can see no benefit at all of swapping managers 18 months into the most difficult 24 months of the job. If Lambert doesn't deliver once the financial restraints are lifted then thats a different matter. At the moment we are looking at yet another window with tight purse strings

Sacked and resignation can be two completely different things depending on situation.

Is that just your opinion of McClaren VillaCas or are you now extending the same flawed basis that you use for Lambert? 

We finished ninth under Houllier with a squad minus Milner but instead we had the brilliant Stephen Ireland. I think Houllier gets a rough ride on here.

We didn't finish 9th under Houllier because he didn't come until September and was out of action from April. In his 28 matches he managed to get us down to 18th by this stage in the 2010/11season. He started to get us out of it by blowing nearly all the available transfer budget on one player who was then put on  a massive salary and has been a drain on our resources ever since.

Don't think anyone's claiming he was some sort of fantastic manager for us, but you're omitting a lot of key facts there.

It's the same old arguments going round and round in circles.  

What cannot be disputed is that Lambert has managed to slash the wage bill AND build a team that has year on year improved it's league performance.  From where I'm standing he is doing a superb job.  True, performances are up and down but I would expect this with such a young squad (remember, we had the youngest first team playing in all the top five leagues of Europe last season).  I would hope our target is to finish somewhere between 8th and 13th this season and I would like to think we can achieve this. Next season we will build again.

The shit-stirring in the press about Lambert makes me chuckle - the press boys want a crisis club to stick their knives into  - thankfully Lerner and Lambert take no notice.  I just wish some of our supporters would show some nous and not be so quick to bite.

I didn't realise that the season has finished?

"Year on year": compare where we are now to where we were twelve months ago.

There isn't much difference to where we were with Mcleish thought so I'm not sure we have improved any at all under Lambert and let be fair that's a very low yardstick to begin with.

Better than McL on less than half the funds.....if it was a low yardstick then that is a good indicator of the shit that Lambert inherited.

So far Lambert has not delivered any 38 game run that would deliver a relegation points total and the trend is upwards

As far as I can see both Mcleish and Lambert have received similar transfer finance and both haven't done a lot with it while also only securing our Premiership status with one game to go.

Since you feel Lambert's tenure has us on an upward trend please avail us with one of your graphs to show our results under Lambert. 

We didn't finish 9th under Houllier because he didn't come until September and was out of action from April. In his 28 matches he managed to get us down to 18th by this stage in the 2010/11season. He started to get us out of it by blowing nearly all the available transfer budget on one player who was then put on a massive salary and has been a drain on our resources ever since.

So the fact that he alienated overpaid primmadonnas by requesting that they live nearer to the training ground and train harder rather than persist with MON's lax training regime (which resulted in the team continually being burnt out by March) was his fault was it?

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

It's easy to dismiss a competition when you've already won it several times (along with league titles, FA Cups and Champions League medals). I'm sure if you asked someone like Bardsley or Fletcher if they fancied a Wembley final, you'd get a different opinion.