Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Oh, this is actually a serious conversation? I thought people were just mucking about.

Bruce has spent zillions of £££ where ever he has been, including Hull. He is a cheque book manager, like MON, but unlike MON managed to get a squad of overpaid players relegated.

Lambert has no where near as much experience in the Premier League as Bruce, though he did an amazing job at both Colchester and Norwich without spending any money. He took on one of the hardest jobs in Premier League history at Villa where he has to drastically cut the wage bill and keep us in the league. He did that and deserves a little bit more patience... especially when the competition for his job is Steve **** Bruce!

Sorry but there a quite a few holes in your argument, slightly reminiscent of a tramps underpants but here we go

Firstly Bruce has not spent Zillions wherever he has been. You are calling him a cheque book manager but then you are asking for Lambert to get big funds.

As for the amazing job Lambert did at Colchester and Norwich without spending money, so are you saying he does or he does not need money to build anything like a decent side? Steve Bruce was just thrown out there as an example as far as I can see and I am positive that if / when Lambert goes from Villa there will be a biggish list of candidates to replace him and probably do a better job.

So by all means don't think that Bruce is any good - and by the way the fact he managed sha means what exactly? Ron Saunders also managed them - but Lambert has a very long way to go to get the miles on his clock to be classified as a good premiership manager IMO

Oh, this is actually a serious conversation? I thought people were just mucking about.

Bruce has spent zillions of £££ where ever he has been, including Hull. He is a cheque book manager, like MON, but unlike MON managed to get a squad of overpaid players relegated.

Lambert has no where near as much experience in the Premier League as Bruce, though he did an amazing job at both Colchester and Norwich without spending any money. He took on one of the hardest jobs in Premier League history at Villa where he has to drastically cut the wage bill and keep us in the league. He did that and deserves a little bit more patience... especially when the competition for his job is Steve **** Bruce!

You are calling him a cheque book manager but then you are asking for Lambert to get big funds.

Prove I said this? I apologise in advance if I didn't and therefore it doesn't suit your argument.

Steve Bruce!!!!  :lol:

His name being mentioned simply epitomises the mentality of getting the manager in who has been good over the last couple of weeks. The guy has never done anything worthy of note, certainly less than Lambert did at Colchester and Norwich, and is a former Birmingham City manager. BUT because last weekend they convincingly beat Fulham he is top of someones list to replace Lambert.

Come on, you gotta find that funny!

What did Lambert do that was so great at Colchester out of interest?

He left half way through the season to join Norwich when he was at Colchester. Colchester were heavily tipped to get relegated though he left them in an incredibly strong position. In fact, Colchester beat Norwich 7-1 whilst he was manager. A couple of weeks later he left to join Norwich and a few weeks after than Norwich beat Colchester 5-0. Interesting if nothing else.

I understand this thread being continued as Lambert isn't delivering at the moment but if people think Steve Bruce is the answer then I have no idea what the question is.

Sorry but there a quite a few holes in your argument, slightly reminiscent of a tramps underpants but here we go

I've not seen any tramps underpants though by your own admission you must have examined some previously and they are obviously in far better condition than one would have thought.

Edited by AstonMartin82

His name being mentioned simply epitomises the mentality of getting the manager in who has been good over the last couple of weeks. The guy has never done anything worthy of note, certainly less than Lambert did at Colchester and Norwich, and is a former Birmingham City manager. BUT because last weekend they convincingly beat Fulham he is top of someones list to replace Lambert.

He left half way through the season to join Norwich when he was at Colchester. Colchester were heavily tipped to get relegated though he left them in an incredibly strong position. In fact, Colchester beat Norwich 7-1 whilst he was manager. A couple of weeks later he left to join Norwich and a few weeks after than Norwich beat Colchester 5-0. Interesting if nothing else.

I understand this thread being continued as Lambert isn't delivering at the moment but if people think Steve Bruce is the answer then I have no idea what the question is.

Colchester had just been relegated from the Championship when he took over there. His brief was to actually challenge for the play-off spots which he failed to do. On the opening day the next season he beat Norwich 7-1 and then joined them a week or so later. So all in all, an average job at Colchester. Nothing to write home about.

Also, where exactly did I mention Steve Bruce? He isn't bad but I like to think we could replace Lambert with a more refreshing candidate. Though your statement that Bruce failed at Wigan is completely ludicrous.

Colchester had just been relegated from the Championship when he took over there. His brief was to actually challenge for the play-off spots which he failed to do. On the opening day the next season he beat Norwich 7-1 and then joined them a week or so later. So all in all, an average job at Colchester. Nothing to write home about.

Also, where exactly did I mention Steve Bruce? He isn't bad but I like to think we could replace Lambert with a more refreshing candidate. Though your statement that Bruce failed at Wigan is completely ludicrous.

I agree that he didn't fail at Wigan though I never stated that he did. So the only ludicrous statement is the one you are making claiming I am saying things which I am not.

Bruce was also successful at Crystal Palace, and I don't believe he ever finished in the bottom half of the Premier League with Wigan whereas I don't think Martinez ever finished in the top half and we would all take Martinez over Bruce right? (Even though there was uproar on this very same site when he was offered the job whilst he was at Wigan). I don't think Bruce is the worst manager out there, but I do think that we are not going to get entertaining, match winning football from Bruce compared to Lambert and so I really struggle to understand why such a lengthy debate is going on when the best managers out there and who would come to Villa simply wouldn't improve us.

After the next 5 or 6 games if he's still here then plenty more will want him out. The fixture list doesn't bode well for team lambert.

It doesn't. But I can't believe that replacing him with Steve Bruce is a good idea in the short, medium or long term.

I'm not saying that Bruce is a terrible manager, he isn't. But he's got absolutely no experience working under these conditions. It would be a major gamble, one simply not worth it taking when his ceiling is so low.

• Like 1

Well put.

• Like 1

The fixture list at the start of the season was not much better either but we did ok. The problem with us fans is we want it now. when we played Norwich we practically begged PL to join us. he has his work cut out and it is plain to see he is having an effect, good or bad though time will tell. Although I am as peed off as anyone with the results and the performances I feel we spend too much time looking at the fixture list analysing each game and expecting to see the results that we feel we will get. each game is different and both teams feel they have a chance, confidence is the key, any team looking at us will see points they can gain and this makes them up their game as well. If we were to play Man U we would expect to loose and so this sometimes helps.  It is probably harder when you are expected to win with greater pressure, fine if you are on a good run and confidence is high but not so in our position. 

The only thing changing a manager does is give you a short term lift as we have seen others have, even MON had this at sunderland till reality bit and they went back to normal.

I say give PL a chance, he has had the crap part of the job now lets see if he can turn it round and give us what we all including him want.

• Like 1

The only thing changing a manager does is give you a short term lift as we have seen others have, even MON had this at sunderland till reality bit and they went back to normal.

In the long term we will most likely be back in the same position and wanting another change in management when we hit a bad run of form and results are out of favour, it is a negative cycle that we need to overcome. 

Ideally all of us want Lambert to rectify his errors and improve the team, but PL will need sufficient time and funding to be able to achieve this target. #Unity

This picture is a good reminder of longevity at a football club.

AlexFergusonisout_zpsfd792269.jpg

• Like 2

I believe Lambert was right to freeze out the overpaid, underperformers (I also believe that this was part of the agreement with Lerner when he took the job)I believe that the £40m figure that is constantly trotted out is a red herring - in the same period we have lost players that cost double that to recruit

Just want to reply to the two points in bold as we've debated everything else.

I am also in no doubt that removing under-performing players on high wages was in the remit but any manager would want to do that anyway irrespective of the budget. Where we differ is that he did not have to use the guillotine on the first team in the way that he did. I have seen no quote or anything substantiated to suggest differently. What I have seen however is a quote from the chief executive stating that Lambert had a budget and it was up to him how he spent it. That's right he got rid of some and kept some - he discarded/did not renew Heskey, Holman, Collins, Cuellar, Makoun, Warnock and Hutton. He kept Given, Ireland, Dunne, Bent, Bannan, Zog, Gabby, Andi, Delph, Clark, Baker. He would have kept Petrov too if that had been an option which sadly it was not. Given, Ireland, Dunne, Bent and Bannan have since been discarded as they didn't perform and/or didn't have the right attitude and/or we already had a better option. There is not one player discarded (with the obvious exception of Petrov) who I wish was still here

Concerning your second point I think Risso has quoted stats showing an expenditure of 40m plus. Unsurprisingly you've misunderstood, again. We've paid out around £40m in fees whislt losing players that cost us around £80m in fees - a net outgoing of talent of £40m

Simple question even for you to understand.

How much has Lambert spent since he's been our manager?

I've made it a little larger in case you missed it

Since you've now confirmed the amount spent and you've previously stated that Lambert got rid of the players already at the club because they didn't impress which out of the 16 players that Lambert has signed do you think have improved our team?

Benteke and who else?

Even though they collectively cost and earn a fraction of McLs team they delivered more points and a better finish......weird huh!

Which still doesn't answer my question.

Which out of the 16 Lambert signings have improved the team? Benteke and who else? Oh and we secured our Premiership status with just one game to go while in the process of breaking all the wrong records.

When you are trying to halve the wage bill it's unlikely that you will improve the squad. however, that is what Lambert has done - collectively his team of bargain buys got more points and a higher finish than McLs on half the cost and a quarter of the wages. 

If you want specifics Benteke cost 33% of Bent but is 300% better, I would prefer Lowton, Vlaar, Okore and Luna who cost £9m to Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock cost more than double four or five years ago (only one of which can find a place in a struggling premiership, the rest of them nowhere). etc etc

Do you really think Ireland is better value at £80k a week than Westwood at £10k a week? I'd take KEA over Makoun, hell I'd even take Tonev over Makoun and I'd take Kozak over Heskey

The majority of the McL squad are over-priced misfits - name one who has left Villa to go on to better things.

But if you don't think that individually they are better than what was here before, to what to atribute the fact that they finished higher and got more points than the squad that went before them.....must be better management

In the long term we will most likely be back in the same position and wanting another change in management when we hit a bad run of form and results are out of favour, it is a negative cycle that we need to overcome. 

Ideally all of us want Lambert to rectify his errors and improve the team, but PL will need sufficient time and funding to be able to achieve this target. #Unity

This picture is a good reminder of longevity at a football club.

AlexFergusonisout_zpsfd792269.jpg

No it isn't.  Manchester United had finished 2nd in the league by then.

And I can give you many, many more examples of the folly of sticking with a crap manager like Lambert.