The R word

villanwesty88

Is a Cardiff win the result that we least want later?? If Cardiff don't win then they, like Fulham, will have to take maximum points from their last 2 games...

So over this season.. I live in NZ now so I get up at 2am to watch this excuse for football.... Not only am I pissed off every week because we play woefully, I am also knackered.... Surprising how less tired I feel if we win....

Is a Cardiff win the result that we least want later?? If Cardiff don't win then they, like Fulham, will have to take maximum points from their last 2 games...

I would say yes. Draw -> Sunderland win -> Cardiff win.

If Sunderland win they'll be three points behind us with home matches to come against Swansea and West Brom. 

If Cardiff win they'll be two points us but will have to play Newcastle away and Chelsea at home. Either one of them winning today is bad for us but I think a Cardiff win would be better.

So will......

Fulham win their next 2 games?

Norwich get a win and a draw (at least) from their next 2 games?

If we think no, then that is two of the relegation spots sorted....

Usually some of the places are sorted by now, they could be next weekend... I am not sure whether my heart could take a final day decider........

If Sunderland win they'll be three points behind us with home matches to come against Swansea and West Brom. 

If Cardiff win they'll be two points us but will have to play Newcastle away and Chelsea at home. Either one of them winning today is bad for us but I think a Cardiff win would be better.

But we can allow one team to finish above us. If Cardiff win, then a win v Newcastle puts them above us. And Sunderland can draw with United, beat WBA/Swansea and they're above us. Yes they would have to draw with United, but it's more likely to happen than Cardiff beating Chelsea should Sunderland win the Sunderland/Cardiff game.

Edited by kurtsimonw

A Sunderland/Cardiff draw gives us the same scenarios to stay up as a Sunderland win. In either result, if Fulham/Cardiff drop any points (assuming Norwich don't pick up their 4 points v Chelsea/Arsenal) then we stay up. A Cardiff win, however, and it complicates things for us.

But we can allow one team to finish above us. If Cardiff win, then a win v Newcastle puts them above us. And Sunderland can draw with United, beat WBA/Swansea and they're above us. Yes they would have to draw with United, but it's more likely to happen than Cardiff beating Chelsea should Sunderland win the Sunderland/Cardiff game.

I agree, although Sunderland would have 3 games in 8 days..... Tough to get 7 points from those games.... History is against Sunderland surviving... Weren't they bottom at Christmas??

I agree, although Sunderland would have 3 games in 8 days..... Tough to get 7 points from those games.... History is against Sunderland surviving... Weren't they bottom at Christmas??

Yes they were bottom with 10 points after 17 games. Di Canio really was shit.

I think we'll be safe next week as long as those below us fail to win.

Sunderland are away at a rejuvenated ManUre - can't see them grabbing a win

Fulham away at Stoke - they're not great travellers (unless visiting us!) and Stoke will hold them to a draw minimum

Norwich away at Chelsea - Although Chelsea will have just played Champs League SF, I can't see them losing 2 on the bounce at Stamford Bridge

Cardiff away at Newcastle - Newcastle are in as shit form as us but I can see a home win.

Of those results go our way and we snatched a point (!) next weeks table would look like this

Villa 36pts (36 games) (35 points if we lose - but with better GD than those below us so still 'safe')

Norwich 32pts (37 games) Can't catch us

Cardiff 31pts (37 games) Mathematically impossible to overtake us

Fulham 31pts (37 games) ditto

Sunderland 30pts (36 games) could draw level but with with worse GD by 9 goals

Might have to go out next Saturday and not check the scores until it's all over!!

**Edit** obviously don't know todays score between Sunderland and Cardiff and so put it down as a draw - even if they win today, they'd be 3-4 points off us post next weekends matches.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

I think we'll be safe next week as long as those below us fail to win.

Sunderland are away at a rejuvenated ManUre - can't see them grabbing a win

Fulham away at Stoke - they're not great travellers (unless visiting us!) and Stoke will hold them to a draw minimum

Norwich away at Chelsea - Although Chelsea will have just played Champs League SF, I can't see them losing 2 on the bounce at Stamford Bridge

Cardiff away at Newcastle - Newcastle are in as shit form as us but I can see a home win.

Of those results go our way and we snatched a point (!) next weeks table would look like this

Villa 36pts (36 games) (35 points if we lose - but with better GD than those below us so still 'safe')

Norwich 32pts (37 games) Can't catch us

Cardiff 31pts (37 games) Mathematically impossible to overtake us

Fulham 31pts (37 games) ditto

Sunderland 30pts (36 games) could draw level but with with worse GD by 9 goals

Might have to go out next Saturday and not check the scores until it's all over!!

**Edit** obviously don't know todays score between Sunderland and Cardiff and so put it down as a draw - even if they win today, they'd be 3-4 points off us post next weekends matches.

The bookies clearly agree which is why we are 10/1 to be relegated...

Odds mean **** all when it comes down to the crunch.

What odds were we to beat Bradford, or Liverpool to win the league, or Suarez to be at Liverpool this season, or Villa to be relegated (back in October).

If we are using bookies odds as a reason we will stay up, we must have run out of real excuses and reasons.

What odds were we to beat Bradford, or Liverpool to win the league, or Suarez to be at Liverpool this season, or Villa to be relegated (back in October).

If we are using bookies odds as a reason we will stay up, we must have run out of real excuses and reasons.

Sure, but I still think that there is a lot that needs to happen if we are to get relegated..... I guess we would rather be in our position than any of the 4 teams below us...

Odds on Villa to get relegated post Chelsea were 50-1...our longest odds all season...I was going to stick a cheeky £10 (+ £10 free bet) on it (baby on way, buying bigger house) but I just never got round to it...

Odds on Villa to get relegated post Chelsea were 50-1...our longest odds all season...I was going to stick a cheeky £10 (+ £10 free bet) on it (baby on way, buying bigger house) but I just never got round to it...

I was still concerned about our form post-Chelsea so stuck on £60 quid. At 50-1.

If the worst happens I'm going to take my new wife (getting married next week) on a special holiday,

But I never win bets - let alone 3 grand - so you can all rest easy that we'll beat Hull!

• Like 1

It's looking like 35 points will be enough this season but I don't think we will finish on 35.

Anything less than a point a game would be poor IMO

Yes it has been a terrible end to the season and we are doing our level best to get dragged back into it!