Mikhail Kalashnikov 1919-2013

The_Rev

Was unsure whether to bump the dead pool thread or make a new one, but if ever a man changed the world then it was this guy. 

http://youtu.be/uEJR5lsYlrg

Inventor of the AK47.  His gun has almost certainly killed more people than all other guns combined, which is quite an achievement considering it didn't get invented until just after WW2 ended. 

BclSgsU.gif

When your invention makes onto the flag of a country on a different continent then you know you made a mark.  

Yeah, the MP44 is basically the father of all assault rifles, but it's complexity made it a difficult weapon to rely on (and also made it hard to make regardless of it using machine pressed parts).

The AK47 was stupendously simple, built with enormous tolerances so it will work even if not terribly well looked after and with very simply mechanics. It was basically built around being easy to use and maintain whilst also being a good enough weapon. It's effectively become the engine of revolution because of this.

Did he ever regret his invention or was he kicking back with vodka and hoes?

• "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists ... I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower."
  • "Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer ... I always wanted to construct agriculture machinery."
  • "I created a weapon to defend the borders of my motherland. It's not my fault that it's being used where it shouldn't be. The politicians are more to blame for this."

Wiki

The story which I heard was that the AK47 was designed by a committee and that it was a political decision to name it after Kalashnikov because they wanted to give the impression that it was the result of individual creativity in emulation of the West, and as a piece of PR for the soviet system.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Did he ever regret his invention or was he kicking back with vodka and hoes?

• "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists ... I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower."
  • "Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer ... I always wanted to construct agriculture machinery."
  • "I created a weapon to defend the borders of my motherland. It's not my fault that it's being used where it shouldn't be. The politicians are more to blame for this."

Wiki

Sounds as if it got to him like Nobel.

The story which I heard was that the AK47 was designed by a committee and that it was a political decision to name it after Kalashnikov because they wanted to give the impression that it was the result of individual creativity in emulation of the West, and as a piece of PR for the soviet system.

Seems like an odd conspiracy theory.  It's an amazingly simple design, it's basically a hollow metal rectangle with a spring stuffed down one side. 

Seems like an odd conspiracy theory.  It's an amazingly simple design, it's basically a hollow metal rectangle with a spring stuffed down one side. 

I heard it from a Soviet historian on Radio 4 a few years ago.

Why would the Soviet Union have wanted to emulate the west? I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm intrigued with how that serve the purpose of their propaganda machine as it was then.

Really? have you not read cold war history?

The AK 47 is a superb weapon which main advantage (leave the price tag aside) is its ability to operate under any conditions what so ever. I saw how it is dumped into a pit, covered in mud for 10 minutes, but after picking it out - still fired with no problem at all.

Israel tried to make its own version of the AK, the Galil. It looked the same and was a part of the fighting forces for quite some time, but was abandoned for the M16 about 15 years ago. Even though the Galil was much heavier, I hated the M16. A couple of drops and you've in a "cease fire" position...

Edited by Glarmorgan

The AK 47 is a superb weapon which main advantage (leave the price tag aside) is its ability to operate under any conditions what so ever. I saw how it is dumped into a pit, covered in mud for 10 minutes, but after picking it out - still fired with no problem at all.

Israel tried to make its own version of the AK, the Galil. It looked the same and was a part of the fighting forces for quite some time, but was abandoned for the M16 about 15 years ago. Even though the Galil was much heavier, I hated the M16. A couple of drops and you've in a "cease fire" position...

Wait, are you Israeli?

Â