A proper pirate game

Risso

A departure from the 2013 thread....

Why isn't there a proper pirate game, surely it would be one of the best selling of all time?  I had Sid Meier's Pirates on the PC years ago, and it wasn't that great a game, BUT the ability to sail round and have masses of sea battles is surely one of the best gaming ideas there is.  If they could take the sailing bits from AC4 and flesh it out into a fully fledged game, I'd probably never leave the house again.

It's needs the following things;

Pets. Do not limit to the stereotypical Parrot. Of course a Parrot should be an option, but why not an Iguana on your shoulder? Or a Porcupine?

Start out as a cabin boy and work your way up to Captian! A kind of Mass Effect character creation thing would be good, with different backstories that change how people react to you.

Sword fighting, shitty ass slow loading guns, and cannons on board ships should work properly, in regards to gameplay, and not just be some mini game or something rubbish like that.

Mythical sea creatures that you can hunt for.

Trading/stealing/plundering - all should be available to do in game. Maybe you could be a 'good' pirate who steals from the rich and goes after dangeous pirate captains who have a bounty on them, or maybe you could be a 'bad' pirate who destroys everything and steals from who they want, when they want.

Customisable/upgradable pirate ships, start out small, buy bigger and bigger, fly your own flag, add decks, more cannons, etc. etc. Skles of Arcadia (Sky Pirates) and Suikoden IV (or was it V? Actual Pirates) did this to varying degress of effect. Suikoden in particular was interesting because you would get more people on your crew (as fans of the series will know, whether you played that one or not) who did many different jobs. You'd get a grocer, butcher, smith, fortune teller, all sorts of stuff, and you could wonder round the ship and talk to them all and shop.

As much fun as all those little bits would be, it would need a proper story to move you from various locations (which should be varied - we want tropical islands and beautiful wheather of course, but give us storms and tundra aswell) around the world map, with interesting NPCs. Get politics and royalty and exploration or undiscovered worlds involved.

Monkey Island references - no pirate game would be complete without one.

Finally, I would insist that Rockstar make it. They would really do it properly, and it plays to their strengths perfectly. Just give us RDR, but pirates. They would make a proper believable world, and give us the characters aswell I think. And graphically - the water effects in GTAV are some of the best I have ever seen, and the way the sea behaves would be very important part of the game of course. So much so it'd practically be a character. It was perfection in GTAV, so they know how to do it.

• Like 3

Some more ideas to expand on hogso's excellent post:

Online Mode - Not just to be tacked on to a deep single player campaign. You should be able to form fleets with friends and their ships before having a huge battle with another group of players. Perhaps you could do a sort of long-term King of the Hill with islands and territories that bring financial benefits of sorts and be able to accept challenges for ownership. Perhaps you could form a sort of pirate-hunting group that works for the authorative government presence in the game and take on bounties.

Solo Campaign - A really good, deep story with fantasy elements like hogso suggested with the mythical creatures. A real rags to riches tale with lots of nods to famous pirates that existed and things like Monkey Island, Treasure Island, Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride mainly, but also the movies, the first one was brilliant I thought), and One Piece, for example. Again, as hogso said, starting from the very bottom and working your way up.

Full Customisation - Character and ships, even down to the uniform your crew wears. You could design your very own Jolly Roger with a range of colours and symbols, no matter how silly. You should be able to choose the size of your ship, favouring either a heavy-hitting tank style or a quick and nimble vessel that strikes surgically, or somewhere in between. A choice of materials to make your ship from, the design and look, sails, masts, figureheads, her name obviously, the captain's quarters and the crew's below deck too. A more in depth recruitment process for key positions like Quarter-master or the look-out in the crow's nest for example.

Lots and lots of booty, not just the treasure kind if you catch my drift ;)

For what it`d worth, I read that Ubisoft was interested to know if people wanted a full blown pirate game, like it became it own series. It`s really weird that no one really goes for this, since the potential is great with the whole discovery thing going on and what not. An RPG like system with huge amount of loot and so on, you could actually have a great game on your hands.

Armada of the damned got cancelled a couple of years ago, I remember that was supposed to fill the void, but looking at some vids on youtube I can see why. Still, we need more of that stuff. AC4 has potential but is let down by bad mechanics and combat. Same for the loot and upgrades. 

Have you guys tried Risen 2?

I've literally just started downloading it on Steam, after having purchased it in on of the Humble Bundles. It might be shit, but, I'll give it a go.

Qd0w0.gif

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I signed up for the beta of Pirates of the Burning Sea, a mmo, years ago, does anyone remember whats happened to it? It wasn't that great, with some land based button clicking combat, and sea combat on vessels, but if it's still going it might have got better with age?

Â