2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Can't remember the last time i was so unenthusiastic about a major tournament

I usually get behind the buzz but this time round its just meh

I don't know if its because of the time zone differences or the fact that England are just woeful with a boring manager but i really want to get that 90's vibe back where i looked forward to every tournament that England played in

Edited by AshVilla

I actually thought Brazil was the perfect choice. Like Russia and China they have a growing economy with a growing middle class, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to show the new brazil. Also this is football loving country (obviously) and one thing FIFA have been criticised for is taking the world cups to countries with no footballing pedigree, like Qatar and South Africa. I know Brazil has a lot of poverty with the favelas and gun crime but so did South Africa and that world cup was a relative success

If Brazil is a shit choice, where should it have gone?

well Brazil was a shit choice as was too much corruption in CBF and with Havelange connections as well, they didnt want Porto Alegre to get any games and then when did they gave them as little as possible, like England hosting World Cup and missing out on Manchester. they should have had a vote like they had for 2018 or 2022 and not had a stupid rotation policy just to insure South America go them

Colombia....just WOW. If you thought corruption and poverty was bad in Brazil then....... Mexico have already hosted it twice, USA have just  had it. Clutching at straws aren't we?

FIFA said this world cup will go to South America, and Conmebol decide amongst yourselves who gets it. All the CONMEBOL countries backed Brazil. Thats how it went.

Bearing in mind countries who actually have a footballing pedigree, who have the wealth and infrastructure to host it,  who haven't just hosted it (last 20 years), who haven't hosted multiple times before. I can only think of Brazil and possibly Australia as candidates. And some would argue Australia don't give a shit about football, although I think they do since 2006.

Edited by Voinjama

Brazil was the only candidate, FIFA had no choice really.

brazil was only candidate as FIFA made them the only one

Argentina, Brazil and Colombia wanted it and CONMEBOL unanimously agreed that Brazil should host, so only Brazil bid. Colombia also bid but withdrew, and even if they hadn't Brazil would've been the better option.

World Cup in Mexico are always named among the best tournaments and conditions are perfect for football and stadiums are ready. Colombia got the 2011 Under 20 in exchange for pulling out of teh 2014 running

The 2 world cups in Mexico were good, but they have had it twice and the conditions are not perfect for football. If you look back to footage of 1986, it was extremely hot in Mexico, a bit like USA 94. Colombia was supposed to host the 86 world cup, but pulled out 1 year before because they didn't have the infrastructure.

maybe but that was nearly 30 years ago, not saying Colombia would have been ideal either but the fact they werent allowed bid for it stinks. Id rather it be in Germany even if they hosted less than 10 years ago than in Brazil. who I have a lot of time for but really shouldnt be hosting the World Cup as havent got their act together