Last Set of Accounts

smetrov

Its like last season when we bought Westwood. £2 million was banded about but Lambert insisted he cost only 800k. I doubt a friendly at Crewe was the difference in those 2 figures.Who do you trust more- a manager bigging up his reputation, or a chief executive who was at the heart of  why O'Neill  who quit due to wage and transfer cutbacks?

Edited by The Fun Factory

Its like last season when we bought Westwood. £2 million was banded about but Lambert insisted he cost only 800k. I doubt a friendly at Crewe was the difference in those 2 figures.Who do you trust more- a manager bigging up his reputation, or a chief executive who was at the heart of  why O'Neill  who quit due to wage and transfer cutbacks?

Or a legally binding set of accounts ?

Come on Hairy Hands - where are you ?

I may be wrong but couldn't the discrepancy come from paying for previous transfers? Pretty certain next to no transfers are paid for up front these days so some of it could be as a result of bent/nzogbia deals. Not sure how this works with accounts though.

That's what naked me wonder if he does actually know all the financial details of the deals. I'd rather he didn't - his main job is to get the team playing well, not study accounts and balance sheets.

I dared suggest this in the Lambert thread, didn't fare well with some people.

Btw, why are you naked?

Ah yes, I always like to strip down and smear myself in chocolate when discussing the accounts.

(Either that, or my clumsy hamfisted fingers got the wrong keys on my smartphone)

EDIT

I'm not having a good day - now I can't edit out smetrov's name, so apologies to him for associating him with this filth,

Edited by briny_ear

The accounts for the year to 31 May 2012 show in note 27 ("Events after the balance sheet date") thte total amount spent after May 2012 and before the accounts were signed (Feb 2013).  This therefore shows the total expenditure on transfers for both the summer and January transfer windows.  This total is £21.7m, as the following image shows:

bvx5.jpg

This figure has been independently audited by PwC in Birmingham. 

The accounts for the year to 31 May 2012 show in note 27 ("Events after the balance sheet date") thte total amount spent after May 2012 and before the accounts were signed (Feb 2013).  This therefore shows the total expenditure on transfers for both the summer and January transfer windows.  This total is £21.7m, as the following image shows:

bvx5.jpg

Ah I knew we had an accountant on here somewhere.  - Can you suggest any feasible reason for the discrepancy between that figure and what Lambo is saying - a couple of suggestions

Not many transfers are paid for up front

Or maybe the accounts include signing on fee's \ tax - where as Lambo's figures don't

Or is Lambo pulling a fast one ?

Whether you pay for transfers in one go or spread the payments doesn't make any difference to the cost.  If you buy a player for £2m, and put £1m down straight away and then spread the rest over two years, the cost is still £2m, but you'd account for £1m coming out of the bank, and £1m in creditors.

I've no idea as to why Lambert says what he does, I just know that one is an audited figure which will have been checked to supporting documents such as contracts etc, and the other is some bloke speaking to the press. 

Whether you pay for transfers in one go or spread the payments doesn't make any difference to the cost.  If you buy a player for £2m, and put £1m down straight away and then spread the rest over two years, the cost is still £2m, but you'd account for £1m coming out of the bank, and £1m in creditors.

I've no idea as to why Lambert says what he does, I just know that one is an audited figure which will have been checked to supporting documents such as contracts etc, and the other is some bloke speaking to the press. 

Pretty conclusive then - The(Higher) figures widely reported - tally up with accounts  - The ( lower) figures proposed by Lambert - don't tally with the accounts. Reasonable to assume therefore, that for reasons best known to himself - Lambert isn't being totally honest about the fee's paid for players.

Edited by smetrov
  • Like 1

bvx5.jpg

Ah I knew we had an accountant on here somewhere.  - Can you suggest any feasible reason for the discrepancy between that figure and what Lambo is saying - a couple of suggestions

Or maybe the accounts include signing on fee's \ tax - where as Lambo's figures don't

Well we paid £3m for Lowton, £2.5m for Bennett, £7m for Benteke and then Vlaar,El-Ahamadi,Bowery and Westwood were all undisclosed. I would imagine the figure of £21.7m is about right

Would that figure include Agent Fees and Signing on Fees ? Not sure what those would amount to but could explain the discrepancies

Don't actually think it matters - Soccerbase quotes prices for all transfers - they will either include signing on fee's or not - they won't treat Aston Villa differently. So if Lambert is slicing off the signing on fee to make our players look cheaper than say 'Southampton' - you would have to take the SO fee off the players Southampton purchased. It must be a like for like compassion.

bvx5.jpg

Well we paid £3m for Lowton, £2.5m for Bennett, £7m for Benteke and then Vlaar,El-Ahamadi,Bowery and Westwood were all undisclosed. I would imagine the figure of £21.7m is about right

Yes - that's the over whelming (and audited) evidence. 

As briny said - he's the manager, not the financial controller.

And yet you blame MON when our issue was wages in relation to income.

Wow, John, you really don't get what all these posts criticising O'Neill are saying.

It was his inability to sign football players who could keep and pass the ball( by and large they produced low grade football)for the amount of money he paid for them.

That's not financial controlling ,its talent spotting.....or paying over the odds, depending how you look at it.

I will accept there is a correlation, but once you have parted with the money, you want a return.....with the odd exception, we didn't get it.

bvx5.jpg

bugger knows what Lambert is rattling on about then. he is a strange man at times

Another question, given that I don't really give a toss about a few million here or there until some pair of idiots puts the club on the edge of wage-to-turnover oblivion: If the figures can be so easily verified, does Lambert think he's not going to get pulled up on this at some stage?

bvx5.jpg

bugger knows what Lambert is rattling on about then. he is a strange man at times

Yeah - seems like he has had a chat with Doug !

Â