Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

With the money we are likely to have available I would spend it on Whittingham. He would give us some balance on the left and some good delivery from set pieces.

We have to start getting Benteke in front of goal, with decent crosses put into him. It's not ideal, but doesn't look like we have many options going until the summer.

Four midfielders of Whittingham Delph Westwood Albrighton. It's not going to get us into Europe, but might just keep us in the Premiership which seems to be the plan for now.

Yep - whittingham is feasible - if a little uninspring

With the money we are likely to have available I would spend it on Whittingham. He would give us some balance on the left and some good delivery from set pieces.

We have to start getting Benteke in front of goal, with decent crosses put into him. It's not ideal, but doesn't look like we have many options going until the summer.

Four midfielders of Whittingham Delph Westwood Albrighton. It's not going to get us into Europe, but might just keep us in the Premiership which seems to be the plan for now.

Yep - whittingham is feasible - if a little uninspring

Lets get Steven Davis back as well while were at it

For what its worth, hairyhands said if we get anybody it is likely to be a loan but even then only if we can get them in on low wages. I have very little faith that Randy is going to put any money in next month, especially if we are still mid table. Bit like Football Manager where you're on target to meet or exceed expectations but you ask for extra cash, "sorry mate but the team is doing fine just get on with it".

• Like 1

According to some Dutch football website we're in for Belgian Left Wing Back/Winger Sebastien Pocognoli who currently plays for Hannover soixant-neuf. His current role in the team is sitting on the bench and wants to play regular football. Link is hard to believe. 

Someone should start a thread about this guy! :P

For what its worth, hairyhands said if we get anybody it is likely to be a loan but even then only if we can get them in on low wages. I have very little faith that Randy is going to put any money in next month, especially if we are still mid table. Bit like Football Manager where you're on target to meet or exceed expectations but you ask for extra cash, "sorry mate but the team is doing fine just get on with it".

That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel

Even last season we signed Sylla

Perhaps we need to be threatened with relegation again for the chairman to invest a million.

Perhaps we need to be threatened with relegation again for the chairman to invest a million.

It is pathetic for a club our size. I do not expect to win the league and do not expect us to go on long unbeaten runs, but I do expect the manager to be backed so we can improve and he can have the players he needs at his disposal.

Guzan

-----------------Lowton - Vlaar - Okore - ??????

--------------Westwood --- ?????? ----- Delph

???????--------------------------------------------Agbonlahor

------------------------------Benteke-------------------------------

Those are the positions I feel we need to fill (I've put a fully fit team there, we really are not too far away from being a decent team, we just need key players in positions where it is not always easy to pick up bargains)

442:

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Okore - ??????

?????? - Delph - ?????? - ????????

Benteke - Agbonlahor

When switching to 4-4-2 I feel we are even further away from having a decent line up, the lack of decent wide players is an issue.

It is pathetic for a club our size. I do not expect to win the league and do not expect us to go on long unbeaten runs, but I do expect the manager to be backed so we can improve and he can have the players he needs at his disposal.

Don't get me wrong, I know prices are inflated in January and I understand that many managers tend to be deterred from signing anybody unless it is essential. That said, I think it is essential that just like you say, if Lambert believes there is a need for somebody then he should be backed to bring that player in. 

I do still think it won't be until the Summer that we know to what degree Lerner is going to back him, January will just give us an indicator. 

For what it is worth, anybody know what Lambert's January spending was like at Norwich?

Doubt it. He's already donated it to charity.

Don't get me wrong, I know prices are inflated in January and I understand that many managers tend to be deterred from signing anybody unless it is essential. That said, I think it is essential that just like you say, if Lambert believes there is a need for somebody then he should be backed to bring that player in. 

I do still think it won't be until the Summer that we know to what degree Lerner is going to back him, January will just give us an indicator. 

For what it is worth, anybody know what Lambert's January spending was like at Norwich?

Agree, I also think the summer will be a great indicator. The issue we have is that we needed one or two more players in certain positions in the last window and they never arrived and are the pieces of the jigsaw which are missing. Many of us called for an attacking midfielder and a defensive enforcer - and in fact, we were linked with two or three of the AM players - HH confessed that we didn't have the money in the pot to afford what we needed and that the manager would like more.

(rambling a bit here...!)

This suggests that Lambert saw the problems - the same ones the fans had seen - but had to cut his cloth accordingly and try to fill positions which would not benefit us as the higher quality players would, but would make sure we are a little more solid - and because of this has made the choice to be less gung-ho - as we had been last season.

I think if we were to fill the positions we need in January, it would help the confidence of the team and assure we get our foot on the ball a little more, perhaps even play higher up the pitch, knowing we have a little more quality in the space between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack.

Saying that though, I cannot see it and am not confident we can pick up what we need for £3/4m.

So, onto the summer it is, with hope...

I think we will be waiting for one of the alienated players to leave before we sign a player; Alan Hutton and Shay Given are our most salable players in January. We will be waiting deep into window for a signing (if we do sign somebody in January). Frustrating, but I suspect Lambert being fully aware of these conditions.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I really liked the look of that Pawlowski in the preseason friendly against Malaga

Do they still have money troubles

Dunno, but we do.
I don't know if we have money troubles just think randy won't invest big again after Martin o neill

There's lack of investment though and there's taking the piss and if the noises from HH are correct regarding wages and stuff then we are either skint or Randy is taking the piss.

Well the wage cutting smokescreen can only last so long and it won't wash forever

Eventually he's going to have to invest to appease the fans or sell us to someone who have ambitions that match our own

Because one things for certain a club of our stature should not be fighting to avoid relegation every season

Edited by AshVilla

Well the wage cutting smokescreen can only last so long and it won't wash forever

Eventually he's going to have to invest to appease the fans or sell us to someone who have ambitions that match our own

Because one things for certain a club of our stature should not be fighting to avoid relegation every season

We're not currently doing that this season.

Â