Choosing an NFL team

Chap of Steel

Apologies if a similar topic has already been posted but I was wondering how you guys (well the non-US ones) started following your team.

I am interested in getting into the sport having seen the effort Sky are putting into covering it. I'm tempted to follow the Broncos having spent a lot of time in Colorado.

Looking forward to reading some interesting replies!

My wife is from Jacksonville and I lived there for a couple of years . I hope toreturn there in the future . I have been following the Jaguars for about 7 years now, through the bad times and the even worse times . If you value happiness then avoid this team at all costs .

• Like 1

Apologies if a similar topic has already been posted but I was wondering how you guys (well the non-US ones) started following your team.

I am interested in getting into the sport having seen the effort Sky are putting into covering it. I'm tempted to follow the Broncos having spent a lot of time in Colorado.

As a Broncos fan I can wholeheartedly endorse your decision. Welcome aboard brother ;) Suffice it to say, you could scarcely have picked a better time to follow them. They're hotter than they've been since the late 90s and arguably hotter than ever.

The only bad thing about following a non-East coast team (and it's a small thing) is the usually late kick-off times, but that should only be a consideration for people with absolutely zero affinity to any team and who are just picking from a hat. Your time in Colorado means your decision is made salute.gif

• Like 1

I  think a word of warning is not to try and force  a team on yourself, (I was a Pats fan in 2001 based on the fact they had "England" in their name!). I began just watching live games on Sky and eventually found myself liking the Giants and looking out for their results, it also helped that I have family in NY and the potential to possibly go to a game at some point made it a good choice. Like with most things in life, it has to grow naturally I feel. You do have a link to Colorado though, so that wouldn't be a bad choice at all especially given their recent success. Though if you do decide that, be warned to be disappointed come the playoffs. :P

• Like 2

My wife is from Jacksonville and I lived there for a couple of years . I hope toreturn there in the future . I have been following the Jaguars for about 7 years now, through the bad times and the even worse times . If you value happiness then avoid this team at all costs .

Thanks for Eugene BTW. Sorry to then hear about Luke's injury. You can have McKinnie as a thank you.

• Like 1

I  think a word of warning is not to try and force  a team on yourself,

In all seriousness, watch the season first as a neutral. Watch as much as you can. At the end of the season chose the team that jumps out at you.

Truth spoken. Sooner or later a team will stick, be it a player, stadium, fans, nickname, whatever.

(avoid the raiders/chargers)

Pfft, you only want to follow the Broncos because they've beasting at the moment! *bandwagon generalisation*

In all seriousness, watch the season first as a neutral. Watch as much as you can. At the end of the season chose the team that jumps out at you. It's what I did. I loved the way the Ravens played, and although we didn't get through the play-offs we played hard. I loved it, and ever since then I've loved them.

Nah, I did spend four months there and wasn't aware of just how well they'd been doing - though I did get the gist they were going quite well.

I think I will try as a neutral, yeah. Right after I start understanding the rules..  ;)

seaaaa.gif

This is what Russell thinks.

Seriously though, everyone will try and tell you to follow 'their' team, but the Seahawks are the ones. Young, likeable roster, good coach, great fans and stadium, one of the best young QB's in the league. Great times.

Edited by StefanAVFC

In all seriousness, watch the season first as a neutral. Watch as much as you can. At the end of the season chose the team that jumps out at you.

This is the answer. It's how I ended up supporting Villa -- watched the Premier League as a neutral for several months and suddenly there Villa were, and I found myself along for the ride. It's like adopting a pet from the shelter. Your team picks you, you don't pick your team.

If you're local, that's a different story. I follow the Seahawks because I was born in Seattle and my family is from Seattle and I will always be a Seattle girl (thus saddling me also with the pathetic Mariners, and the lately-mercurial Sounders). If you're a "global fan," you just need to remain open and let your team come to you.

• Like 1

Â