Qatar 2022

MessiWillSignForVilla

http://deadspin.com/5980241/french-magazine-reports-that-qatar-bribed-its-way-to-the-2022-world-cup

This is not new; from the moment Qatar was named the 2022 World Cup hosts, allegations have been made that FIFA committee members had accepted millions of dollars in bribes to make it happen. Some of those executives were even banned or quit in disgrace! So it's not outside the realm of probability.

The latest claims come from this week's edition of respected magazine France Football, and they seem to imply UEFA head Michel Platini was pressured to switch his vote from the United States to Qatar.

The "evidence" is of the isn't that curious? sort rather than a hard paper trail. Platini, the magazine reports, attended a dinner with then-French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Qatar's crown prince, and a representative of French club Paris Saint-Germain. This "secret meeting" was held nine days before the World Cup vote. Here are the dots, which you're asked to connect: PSG, Sarkozy's favorite team, was sold to the Qatar Investment Authority, overseen by the crown prince. Platini's son was hired by the Qatar Investment Authority. Al Jazeera, owned by the Qatar royal family, launched a sports network that now owns broadcast rights to the French League and UEFA tournaments.

There is some actual evidence to back up France Football's general claims of bribery. An internal email from FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke saying that Qatar "bought the 2022 World Cup". A former employee on the Qatar bid says two African executives, including African Confederation President Issa Hayatou, were bought off in exchange for their votes. Former FIFA media chief Guido Tognoni says bribery was rampant.

Naturally, everyone involved denies the allegations. Said Platini:

"President Sarkozy would never have asked me to vote for Qatar 2022 because he knows that I'm my own man. I made my choice with complete independence following a simple logic... opening up countries who have never organised major sporting events."

2022 is nearly a decade away—we're seriously running the risk of scandal fatigue. And we haven't even involved Sepp Blatter or Russia yet.

Scoop of the century  :rolleyes:

My main question about Qatar is if it's unrealistic to play there in the summer, why was it given the World Cup that has been played in the summer for almost 80 years.

EDIT: Added the text.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

That's what I've said in various other threads.

The very first criteria for a host nation should be "Are they capable of hosting the tournament". And the heat in Qatar means that answer is no. They shouldn't have even been allowed to the table.

Corruption or no corruption, they shouldn't be hosting it.

I think taking the World Cup to the middle east could have been a good idea, in principle. It's been everywhere else, except Australasia. However, it should have been a conscious decision by FIFA to stage a winter world cup, rather than having it forced on them like this. Staging the world cup in the winter should have been integrated into Qatar's bid. The whole thing is becoming farcical.

Imagine how good that Christmas will be though.

Come boxing day, there'll be no Home Alone type rubbish on the box, it'll be Spain versus France. Lovely Jubbly.

I hate international football, so for me it won't be that great!

Yeah, but... the World Cup?

You don't hate the World cup surely? It's like a thousand Christmases rolled into one for any fan of football.

• Like 1

Come boxing day, there'll be no Home Alone type rubbish on the box, it'll be Spain versus France. Lovely Jubbly.

You don't hate the World cup surely? It's like a thousand Christmases rolled into one for any fan of football.

I'll watch it, but normally switch off after the first half if it's not England or the final, even then it's hard for me to watch the entire game. It's just too tedious for for me, too many teams play possession football and try and bore the other team into defeat. Tbf, I can't watch much football anymore if it's not Villa, only big games i.e WC Final, CL Final, FA Cup Final etc., Rugby is much more entertaining for me, it's almost always an open game.

I'll watch it, but normally switch off after the first half if it's not England or the final, even then it's hard for me to watch the entire game. It's just too tedious for for me, too many teams play possession football and try and bore the other team into defeat. Tbf, I can't watch much football anymore if it's not Villa, only big games i.e WC Final, CL Final, FA Cup Final etc., Rugby is much more entertaining for me, it's almost always an open game.

Fair enough, we all like to watch different things I suppose.

Voinjama for example, he likes ladies to watch ladies defecating on glass tables, where as I prefer Masterchef.

• Like 2

Rugby is much more entertaining for me, it's almost always an open game.

have you seen some of mismatched in Rugby World Cup :o

That's pretty much the only International Rugby I don't like watching, it's not fun watching New Zealand/Australia/South Africa putting 80+ points past Georgia/Namibia/USA. Although some tries in those games can be rather spectacular. The same way it's not fun watching Spain/Barcelona pass the ball around the back four for 90 minutes and hope one of the strikers makes a good run so they can make a safe pass through for a goal.

I have no issue with a winter World Cup. If we establish that it can only ever be held in the summer then that rules out most of Africa, the whole of the Middle East and big chunks of Asia from ever holding it because of the temperatures. 

Other leagues manage to break in the summer every four years to accommodate the World Cup, why shouldn't it be the European leagues that do it for once?

I do have an issue with it being hosted by a country that bans homosexuality, but complaining about whether it takes place in the summer or the winter is complaining about the trivialities while ignoring the things that actually deserve criticism. 

• Like 2

I have no issue with a winter World Cup. If we establish that it can only ever be held in the summer then that rules out most of Africa, the whole of the Middle East and big chunks of Asia from ever holding it because of the temperatures. 

Other leagues manage to break in the summer every four years to accommodate the World Cup, why shouldn't it be the European leagues that do it for once?

I do have an issue with it being hosted by a country that bans homosexuality, but complaining about whether it takes place in the summer or the winter is complaining about the trivialities while ignoring the things that actually deserve criticism. 

That's fine, and I agree with most of what you're saying. There's no reason why we shouldn't have a winter world cup.

However, I personally think that the possibility of a winter World Cup should have been laid out and discussed before deciding on a venue. Qatar won the right to host a summer World Cup, which they cannot do. The decision making process, or lack of, has happened in the wrong order. 

Exactly. As far as we know, Qatar won the bid for a Summer world cup. They didn't propose a winter one.

On that criteria there's no way they should have won it.

But I agree, there's nothing wrong with a winter world cup in principle. But that should be part of the bidding/voting process

• Like 1

Exactly. As far as we know, Qatar won the bid for a Summer world cup. They didn't propose a winter one.

On that criteria there's no way they should have won it.

But I agree, there's nothing wrong with a winter world cup in principle. But that should be part of the bidding/voting process

True, that would be the case in an ideal world. But I don't that any initial bid of that type would be entertained. This way FIFA have blundered into a mess that they've made and it might accidentally make things fairer and more inclusive - something like one World Cup in every four or five being held in the winter I think could be really good. At least this way it's something that can be considered whereas otherwise it would just be ridiculed.  

Personally I think the whole situation is great. Anything that can show FIFA up as a bunch of corrupt incompetents AND irritate the hell out of Richard Scudamore all at the same time can only be a positive thing in my opinion. It's just a pity that it's a bunch of spoiled, intolerant bigots who ultimately stand to benefit from it.

• Like 1

Â