The complete and utter chants thread

Pricey_1984

Wish people didn't sing this we support the villa whoah song that palace sing. It's incredibily small time

I wholeheartedly support people trying new chants or songs. How many do we regularly use? The Villa Park atmosphere has massive room for improvement in my opinion.

Villa park can be great. 90% of the time its dire.

Our chants seemed to have stagnated. The football has not helped, granted.

I agree. I think our home crowd relies on the football to get them going as opposed to the crowd trying to get the players going though. I appreciate it has been difficult with the years of dross we have been served up but now is a good time to change that with the increased optimism around the place.

• Like 1

I agree about the atmosphere needing to be improved. However I rather us not have a cringe worthy atmosphere like they have at Palace. E.g Singing league 1 songs, banging drums and jumping up and down even when the other team scores.

Edited by Arj Guy

We don't. Well we do have "Ultras" but thankfully they've taken their drum away.

I don't know what song you are talking about, but perhaps you could provide us with a list of songs we are and aren't allowed to sing? What songs do you try to start yourself? I sit in L3 and am happy to help if you want to move over that way.

Getting behind the team when the opposition have just scored is crucial.

I know the atmosphere at VP isn't like that I just don't want it to become that. I heard that we support the villa chant the other day and I was just worried that the atmosphere was heading towards a Palace like one. I agree about you're last point and we do get behind the team when the away team scores. We just don't jump up and down like nothing's happend like the cringy Palace ultras

I doubt very much whether Crystal Palace started that chant. Possible I suppose, but I've heard several teams sing it home and away. I thought it was Leicester myself.

90% of the songs we sing will be bastardised versions of songs started by other teams and its the same for every team up and down the land. We have 2 original songs that we sing regularly that as far as I am aware nobody else sings, Paul McGrath My Lord and Holte Enders in the Sky. That's more than most. Hopeful that The Bells Are Ringing can be added again this season.

Generally the atmosphere was rubbish on Friday night, but there are a fair few mitigating factors involved. I myself was downbeat after a horrendous journey, the game was a bit of a damp affair and we were 1-0 down fairly early on. It was fantastic towards the end of last season, when the team gets going so will the fans. It has always been this way, unless we go down the ultra route.

I agree about the atmosphere needing to be improved. However I rather us not have a cringe worthy atmosphere like they have at Palace. E.g Singing league 1 songs, banging drums and jumping up and down even when the other team scores.

Nothing is more cringe worthy than "Stand up if you love Villa"!

• 2 weeks later...

Villa park can be great. 90% of the time its dire.

Our chants seemed to have stagnated. The football has not helped, granted.

I agree.  It surprises me that this thread (and issue) do not get more attention.  Most would agree that the current repertoire of songs sang is pretty poor yet we collectively do nothing about it.  I would support any initiative to get behind a longer anthem - The bells are ringing or Hi Ho Aston Villa, just something longer.  With all the new players we should have chants for each player as well – not just singing their names several times. I don’t think the problem is creating chants – there are loads on VT.  It's getting enough people to get behind a chant by singing it!  I don't know why but there is a lot of apathy and resistance among Villa fans - I don't want us to copy Palace but we should be doing more to improve the atmosphere by regularly bringing in new chants.    

Edited by Gary Thomas

"It really surprises me that this thread (and issue) do not get more attention.  Most would agree that the current repertoire of songs sang is shocking yet we collectively do nothing about it"

9 days later.....see what i mean!   

Edited by Gary Thomas

Every villa fan should learn the words to this and the whole ground should belt it out at the start of every match.  It was brilliant at Wembley so why not VP?  # make VP roar again.

Hi Ho Aston Villa
You're everywhere and nowhere baby, that's where you're at,
Going down a bumpy hillside, in your VILLA hat.
Flying across the country, and getting fat,
Saying everything is groovy, when your tyres are flat….

And it’s HI-HO ASTON VILLA, anywhere you go now baby,
I see your sun is shining, but I wont make a fuss, though its obvious.

PS. we should also bring back the bells are ringing!!  Another great song that is never sung these days.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â