Manchester United

BOF

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder how tempted over the years SAF has been to get back involved.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing leaving at the time he did. 

Obviously he was getting old, but with Man City coming up and Man U team slowly degrading, he was smart enough to know when to say bey bye. 

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Obviously he was getting old, but with Man City coming up and Man U team slowly degrading, he was smart enough to know when to say bey bye. 

I do agree, but it must have been really difficult for him to watch coach after coach gradually chip away at what he built and now they look every bit a mid-table side, but with a wage bill of an elite one.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I do agree, but it must have been really difficult for him to watch coach after coach gradually chip away at what he built and now they look every bit a mid-table side, but with a wage bill of an elite one.

If what I'm inclined to believe reading between the lines of a few old pros he'll be revelling in it because it makes him look better.

Fergie only cares about Fergie and did what was good for Fergie. Allegedly.

• Like 2

If Radcliffe is going to go in there and sort out the structure to align it with what the other clubs have done for years then Ten Hag might just be the right man to take charge of the team, or at least given the first opportunity.  Their main problem is they have had no concept of value for money either when buying players or giving them contracts.  It's hard to turn that kind of wastage in the transfer market around until they have a massive clear out.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Would say he is loving it. He began the mess but his reputation is now built higher each dreadful season

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If what I'm inclined to believe reading between the lines of a few old pros he'll be revelling in it because it makes him look better.

Fergie only cares about Fergie and did what was good for Fergie. Allegedly.

I disagree, I think he loves the club that’s why he still follows them home and away and is involved with them. He could have just disappeared if he wasn’t bothered.

The owners need to keep ten Hag, make him make the unpopular decisions, clear the dross, which will mean the team and results will suffer short-term, but will mean after he gets the sack the next bloke starts reasonably fresh. 

There's a term for it I'm sure, oh yes - getting f****d over. That's it.

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hmmn? My reading was that the team was in sad repair when SAF retired. They scraped home the Premier in that year. Since then the rot has set in.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I mean, do people really think Fergie need a Utd decline to make him look better?  He won 13 **** Premier League titles for Christ's sake.

People say he left a load of junk as a squad but he’s just won the league with that junk, and I’m certain he could have kept that level going if he stayed on.

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Hmmn? My reading was that the team was in sad repair when SAF retired. They scraped home the Premier in that year. Since then the rot has set in.

Yep was a team on the downslope. RVP was a leaving gift from the board but a lot of players 30 or over

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

I’m not sure how a league winning squad can be described as being in disrepair, if so then it’s even more miraculous. Not something to beat him with a stick about.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I disagree, I think he loves the club that’s why he still follows them home and away and is involved with them. He could have just disappeared if he wasn’t bothered.

Pretty sure he was selling youth players for not signing up to his sons agency plus the Rock of Gibraltar saga. Fergie cared about Fergie

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure he was selling youth players for not signing up to his sons agency plus the Rock of Gibraltar saga. Fergie cared about Fergie

It’s possible to care about more than 1 thing :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure how a league winning squad can be described as being in disrepair, if so then it’s even more miraculous. Not something to beat him with a stick about.

Was the team in poor shape compared to previous years? I would answer yes.
Did they scrape home the title that year? I would say yes.
Did Man United bounce back after after SAF's retirement? Not really.

Where am I beating SAF with a stick?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep was a team on the downslope. RVP was a leaving gift from the board but a lot of players 30 or over

I just looked up that title winning squad, I’m not sure the myth that it was poor is really justified.

Lots of quality players in their prime. Rooney 27, RvP 29, Valencia 27, Young 27

Quality young players. Zaha 20, Lingard 20, Smalling 23, de Gea 22, Wellbeck 22, Chicarito 23. 

Then again, the old heads were also quality. Berbatov 32, Carrick 31, Evra 32, Ferdinand 34, Vidic 31.

Then the OAP’s, Scholes 38 & Giggs 39. 

They’d kill for that blend of top drawer youth and experience now. 

12 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Was the team in poor shape compared to previous years? I would answer yes.
Did they scrape home the title that year? I would say yes.
Did Man United bounce back after after SAF's retirement? Not really.

Where am I beating SAF with a stick?

You can’t scrape a title with a squad in “poor shape” regardless of which point you compare it too.

They won the league by 9 clear points, and scored 20 more goals better than Man City in second. 

The City squad had Aguero, Ballotelli, Tevez, Nasri, Silva, Yaya Toure, Zabaleta, Kompany. 

“scraped” the league with a squad in “poor shape” :lol: 

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just looked up that title winning squad, I’m not sure the myth that it was poor is really justified.

Lots of quality players in their prime. Rooney 27, RvP 29, Valencia 27, Young 27

Quality young players. Zaha 20, Lingard 20, Smalling 23, de Gea 22, Wellbeck 22, Chicarito 23. 

Then again, the old heads were also quality. Berbatov 32, Carrick 31, Evra 32, Ferdinand 34, Vidic 31.

Then the OAP’s, Scholes 38 & Giggs 39. 

They’d kill for that blend of top drawer youth and experience now. 

Cant agree with that. Them quality young players plus Phil Jones didnt really amount to a level near United standards except De Gea. Rooney was definitely on the decline at this stage so was Ferdinand who only played about 20 more league games in his career

Berbatov played for Fulham that season

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cant agree with that. Them quality young players plus Phil Jones didnt really amount to a level near United standards except De Gea. Rooney was definitely on the decline at this stage so was Ferdinand who only played about 20 more league games in his career

I’m not sure what it means to not reach United standards when holding down a place in a title winning side, and winning more trophies afterwards?

Rooney scored more goals the following season, and the same over the next 2.

RvP scored 89 more goals after that season for United, Fenerbache and Feyenoord. 1 in 2 for United over the following 2 seasons.

Â