Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The soldier can shoot back though.

Which makes him fair game. Probably killed by people he was there to kill. They all knew the risks. The reporter didn't go there to kill anyone.

Inane work chat.

Woman in my office just now: "My husband's just text me and said he's making fish pie tonight"

Me: "Who the **** gives a shit you silly cow?!"

Ok, I made up my bit, but it's what i was thinking!

Which makes him fair game. Probably killed by people he was there to kill. They all knew the risks. The reporter didn't go there to kill anyone.

the reporter didn't have to go. John Simpson has a lot to answer for.

The role is redundant largely nowadays anyway with modern media

:suspect: You mean the media that toes the army line? Yeah, thanks media :thumb: Sadly you're largely right though. There's very little chance of knowing what is actually going on in a war zone these days without having it vetted by the very people doing the deeds being reported on.

the reporter didn't have to go. John Simpson has a lot to answer for.

166569.jpg

They all want to be Martha Gellhorn

And no offence but the sentiment that the reporter "didn't have to be there" is a very weak argument in a free society, unless you don't want a free society in which case you are exactly right. Someone has to be there to report on and to see the goings on of both sides. Or do we want them accountable to no-one?

No they don't, because the army don't let them. But at least they are there witnessing it at the time. That in itself would probably keep manners on some of the more renegade activities. Whereas if they weren't present who knows what'd go on. Abu Ghraib would probably be standard fare. And anyway, the original point was about everyone signing up to their lot in life. Which means the dead war reporter and the dead soldier both signed up and knew the risks.

So the reporter must be even more aware of the risks, really. The soldier is meant to be there. (Has to be there.) The reporter doesn't really. And as said, it's vetted anyway.

But the cynic in me says, that's one less book at WHSmith this Christmas

Your cynic might be right. It's lucky that we'll never know what she learned. Phew! Info sux lol :P

Â