Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

yeh i like mcshane but i've only saw him a couple of times

but what i can see is that he is very brave, the type to put everything he can in the way to block a shot, and put his head in where it hurts

i think he is best at centre back, but he's a very good right back who can attack also

if you remember back to the blues game, i'm sure he won the penalty from sprinting down the right, and also got took out by julian gray for the red card whilst he was sprinting through to goal

i can't really remember the game that well so that above might have been the same incident :lol:, but i don't think it was

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McShane hardly has the quality we should be looking for. I would take Curtis Davies as he is both playing and a good header, but I wouldn't touch anyone else from WBA.

Being in Norway i don't really think you can be a judge of McShanes quality.

I've watched Albion nearly as much as villa this season. (maybe 20 times each). IMO he is a real prospect and doesn't carry the nievity that Curtis Davies does. Despite the bigger reputation, Davies jst lacks something when compared to mcshane, on top of that McShane has a versatility of being comfortable at RB and CB.

I think he'd be purchased as a RB.

Given the things i've heard, it's pretty much expected he'll be signing for villa. All the Baggies fans i know are pretty much resigned to losing him especially after they're season has petered out.

I wish people would give players the benefit instead of doing a search on Football Manager and calling a player shit.

Juan Román Riquelme

offer him £120,000 a week, £4 million signing on fee and pay whatever boca want for him. That'll be the midfield solved... [/dream]

he's a fantastic player but he would not be suited to the premiership at all. at villareal and for argentina in the last world cup, he starred because they built the team around him, and he was always being given the ball with time and space. he just would not get that here and i think games would just pass him by, because of the pace and style being so different to spain/south america.

Let me rephrase myself;

McShane hardly is the player we should be gambling on since he CLEARLY isn't proven on this level.

We aren't in a position where we can give every decision the benefit of the doubt. We have money now,

it doesn't mean we are going to throw it on everything we see, but it also mean we have the luxury to

be more selective and thus spend on the best we can get.

Isn't the expression "if he isn't good enough for United then he isn't good enough for us" still in use?

Let me rephrase myself;

McShane hardly is the player we should be gambling on since he CLEARLY isn't proven on this level.

We aren't in a position where we can give every decision the benefit of the doubt. We have money now,

it doesn't mean we are going to throw it on everything we see, but it also mean we have the luxury to

be more selective and thus spend on the best we can get.

Isn't the expression "if he isn't good enough for United then he isn't good enough for us" still in use?

Ok, i'll counter that with the opinion of a fellow poster.

a lot have been impressed with McShane and think Fergie made a big mistake

personally i believe in MON's ability to spot a player, I've been happy with what he's brought in so far. All of his permanent signings are showing real promise and even Petrov now he's been given alittle more licence to roam with the prolonged absence of McCann.

I think for a good few seasons MON will be able to spend what he likes on who he likes, McShane has promise and with him only being 23 he's got plenty of time to mature.

Given that MON has been to watch Albion alot this season i'd be suprised if we didn't sign someone from Baggies. Whatever you think of our local rivals, they have some real talent down there. Koumas for instance is by a mile the best midfielder out of the prem and could probably run a midfield in the premiership if accomodated.

That leads me onto another point.

Juan Román Riquelme

offer him £120,000 a week, £4 million signing on fee and pay whatever boca want for him. That'll be the midfield solved... [/dream]

While he was once an outstanding talent, i don't think MON wants a 'sort of midfielder' i think he wants all rounders that can adapt there game to whatever a match entails. I personally don't believe he'll be looking for a specific 'Defensive' or 'Attacking' midfielder. If you look at Petrov, Barry and Gardner they all put their foot in and can all play abit. Hence the comments about Davis a few weeks ago refering to him changing his game. I think Davis like Barry was 4 years ago is at crossroads as to what type of player he wants to be, weather he wants to get his shorts dirty of if he's going to be a luxury player that has to be accomodated.

For a start who is there who's proven at this level and avaliable? Apart from Luke Young that is, because McShane is as good as Young is at this moment in time and has the potential there.

O'Neill is a manager who doesn't go splashing money around for the sake of it. If he sees something in McShane it won't bother him if he's from West Brom or Barcelona.

Also lets not forget, Carew, Maloney, and Young to an extent weren't proven at this level.

We've got to be realistic. Just because we have money, it doesn't mean that after one season we have the pulling power for the best players in Europe. We have to build it up there. Chelsea were a consistent top 6 team before Abramovich's millions.

Back on topic, McShane is worth a gamble in my humble opinion.

For a start who is there who's proven at this level and avaliable? Apart from Luke Young that is, because McShane is as good as Young is at this moment in time and has the potential there.

O'Neill is a manager who doesn't go splashing money around for the sake of it. If he sees something in McShane it won't bother him if he's from West Brom or Barcelona.

Also lets not forget, Carew, Maloney, and Young to an extent weren't proven at this level.

We've got to be realistic. Just because we have money, it doesn't mean that after one season we have the pulling power for the best players in Europe. We have to build it up there. Chelsea were a consistent top 6 team before Abramovich's millions.

Back on topic, McShane is worth a gamble in my humble opinion.

Agree with this. Also i think we should try and sign that Gattuso bloke that played tonight, he looks useful :D

So what you are basically saying is that Fergie is wrong and JezVilla (no offense at all) is right and that is it? Come on, don't try to prove a point by saying the most honored manager in the game right now is wrong and that a forum poster is the real deal. McShane is probably a very decent prospect, but let me paste in something FitzGerald said:"“He’s a great manager and if we want to be at the top end of the Premiership going for the Champions League, we need world-class players. The guy’s very experienced and we trust him."

Like I said, we have money and we can go for the real deal now. If there is no-one better than McShane in the game then I am very surprised, that's all.

Just because he was released from Man U doesn't mean he's not a good player though. They have arguably one of the finest right backs in the game in Neville, and McShane was getting to the age where it was clear he wasn't going to uproot Neville. This is speculation, but you can see why he would want to move away to have first team football. It's quite possible that Bardsley will do the same thing in a couple of years time.

All I'm trying to point out is that because McShane was released, it doesn't necessarily mean he's not a good player. He was simply surplus to requirements in one of the best teams in the country,

And at this point in time, the idea that Man Utd rejects aren't good enough for Villa is a bit unrealistic. Admittedly a lot of them I wouldn't put in the squad, but we can't realistically compete with Man Utd in terms of transfers.

I agree with you, being released by a club like United/Arse/Liverpool/Chelsea does not mean you are not good enough for Villa, I was only mentioning it because some people on here think it's a given rule :)

It is interesting though, there are very few good RB's in England and in the Prem in general.

What about a sneaky bit for Paulo Ferreira?

i havent seen curtis davies THAT much, but whenever i have i only come to the conclusion that he is very overrated

i can't help but think, if he wasn't mixed race and the build of ferdinand he would only have half of the attention he gets now

i get the impression, because he looks similar to ferdinand people expect he will autmoatically turn out like him

What about a sneaky bit for Paulo Ferreira?

He's better than McShane, but he's also older. I think Martin is looking to buy youth. Then again we do need experience too.

Saying that, I doubt he'd be sold. And if he was it'd be at an overinflated price. A big price tag doesn't make a player.

The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to gamble with McShane. I genuinly can't think of anybody else avaliable at a reasonable price who would improve the team. I don't think McShane is good enough for a top 4 team, which is where we aim to be, but I can't think of anybody avaliable who is. I mean, Finnan plays right back for Liverpool, that says in itself how much the position lacks star players. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but he's far from world class.

What? Because he is mixed race and looks like Ferdinand? That was a weird way to put it....

I don't think it has got anything to do with that. We are far past that race thing now in 2007 aren't we?

And he doesn't really look like Rio Ferdinand, are you talking about Anton ;) ?

Davies is ahead of Cahill and Ridge in the English U21 setup, he is a solid header of the ball and he knows

how to tackle. A bit like Vidic and Carragher if you will, only young and with lots of ability to get out of him.

why does everybody think McShane plays at right back,every time i have seen him play for ireland he's played center half.im not sure how many on here have seen him play but i dont think he's what we need,he's not fast enough for right back his passing is poor at best,and he's to small for center half imo...if this is the type of player we are looking at ill be well pi..ed off tbh.

why does everybody think McShane plays at right back,every time i have seen him play for ireland he's played center half.

Probably because I'm guessing most people have seen him play for West Brom rather than Ireland, where he tends to play on the right.

What? Because he is mixed race and looks like Ferdinand? That was a weird way to put it....

I don't think it has got anything to do with that. We are far past that race thing now in 2007 aren't we?

And he doesn't really look like Rio Ferdinand, are you talking about Anton Wink ?

i didn't mean the race thing

i mean like people see someone has a bright future, and see he has abit of pace and has the same sort of features as rio ferdinand and then automatically assume he will be a similar play to him when hes older in terms of ability