Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Not a chance of Gabby leaving, just signed a new contract only last month IIRC.

Won't stop clubs trying though, but I'd be fairly sure MON would decline any offer, its not like we need the cash.

We're not a selling club anymore.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not a selling club anymore.

What a beautiful sentence to see.

If Gabby goes after everything MON's said about him, I'll run naked down Broad Street and shake my ass at a policeman. And trust me, nobody wants that...

Why should we buy the leftovers from a club such as Tottenham? They are the ones we are trying to catch up with in the first place, and what good is it if we get Defoe and they get Darren Bent as a replacement? That is another step up for them, and a little one for us, but still 2 steps behind. Jermain Defoe is a good little player but he has a reputation for having a hard time being consistent. Sure he has a good record but why doesn't he play every week? Being a striker is much more than just scoring goals, we should all be aware of that since we signed John Carew. It's the same with Berbatov really, he doesn't score that many goals but he contributes in other ways. Jermain Defoe is the type of striker who should score at least 15 goals in the league to be successful in a season, he just doesn't contribute in any other way IMO.

Is he better than what we got? Marginally.

Is he better than Darren Bent? Not at all and he is also older than Bent.

And like I mentioned, why would we want to buy the leftovers from Tottenham? Clearly there is something with him that can't make it there. Sure Robbie Keane is a major treat as well, but Defoe was way ahead of him earlier this season. I wouldn't mind him if we did sign him, but it would be a risk. And not a big "wow" signing.

When does the transfer window open?

I am so excited, not because I "hope" we are going to sign players, but because I know this is the start of spending some real money. I know it's silly, but having as much money as the big guns is the most important bit in football, you can't cope if you don't show true class in the market each summer. We need a massive overhaul now of course, but it doesn't take more than a couple of windows to get a very decent squad, and the side-effects happen on their own. We will no doubt start to sell players with a huge advance (Carrick - Parker - SWP, it's just the way it goes) and generate much more money to buy players and give better salaries.

Of course we'll still sell players, but the suggestion that MON would even think of selling his prize asset is crazy. MON has praised Gabby all season, need I also mention he's no doubt gonna win Young Player of the Year and is now our Top Scorer!

On the other hand, the body language from Moore and Davis doesnt fill me with confidence tbh. Both look like they may be tempted away.

Of course we'll still sell players, but the suggestion that MON would even think of selling his prize asset is crazy. MON has praised Gabby all season, need I also mention he's no doubt gonna win Young Player of the Year and is now our Top Scorer!

On the other hand, the body language from Moore and Davis doesnt fill me with confidence tbh. Both look like they may be tempted away.

.....but every player has his price ......£20M ??? - would you sell then ?

... As regards upfront.. Defoe is a good striker but every time I watch him his scoring tally just isn't good enough..He almost scores loads! Ain't we had that time and time again?... we need someone whose gonna bag us 15-20 goals a season sure thing .....

He's already scored 16 goals for Spurs this season (3 games still to go), despite not starting or even playing in a fair few games, and he scored 22 goals for us the season before last.

i personally would welcome the signing of defoe, though not at the cost of losing gabby, and as far as defoes reported inconsistency i wouldn't consider that a problem if he was playing under o'neill, just look at what o'neill has done for carew - the man previously described as lazy, inconsistent and dispassionate.

also i'm not sure if this has already been mentioned as i'm too lazy to check the other pages of the thread but villa have apparently made an offer for sevilla striker kepa blanco, here's the link http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_details.aspx?story_id=563245&l_id=1&t_id=2

Why should we buy the leftovers from a club such as Tottenham? They are the ones we are trying to catch up with in the first place, and what good is it if we get Defoe and they get Darren Bent as a replacement? That is another step up for them, and a little one for us, but still 2 steps behind. Jermain Defoe is a good little player but he has a reputation for having a hard time being consistent. Sure he has a good record but why doesn't he play every week? Being a striker is much more than just scoring goals, we should all be aware of that since we signed John Carew. It's the same with Berbatov really, he doesn't score that many goals but he contributes in other ways. Jermain Defoe is the type of striker who should score at least 15 goals in the league to be successful in a season, he just doesn't contribute in any other way IMO.

Is he better than what we got? Marginally.

Is he better than Darren Bent? Not at all and he is also older than Bent.

And like I mentioned, why would we want to buy the leftovers from Tottenham? Clearly there is something with him that can't make it there. Sure Robbie Keane is a major treat as well, but Defoe was way ahead of him earlier this season. I wouldn't mind him if we did sign him, but it would be a risk. And not a big "wow" signing.

I believe you're misunderstanding the situation with Defoe at Spurs by calling him 'left-overs' and regarding Bent as 'step-up' from Defoe.

As I've said before, the reason we want Bent is because he could play effectively in partnership with either Berbatov or Keane (or Defoe), whereas if Berbatov is injured the Keane/Defoe partnership is not so effective. In other words it's not because Bent is a better striker than Defoe (or Keane), but simply for tactical/formation reasons in relation to the current Spurs set-up and our options if Berbatov is injured.

Neither is Keane widely regarded as significantly better than Defoe - it's a marginal decision either way and on that margin Jol seems to have plumped for Keane, again largely because of the way that Spurs are set-up to play.

Play him from the start and he'll score 1 every 2 games.............. He's done it throughout his career. Defoe is criminally underrated.

Defoe's got 16 (I think) this year so far........

Dont let a certain person hear you talking sense with them stats, apprently they mean f all, dunno how that works really.

Defoe is a fine player and would be a big improvement to our current strike force, we know MON wanted him in last summer, does he still want him?

Any of our resident Spurs fans have any info? Will Bent score tonight against his future team? Defoe leaving could be down to weather Spurs sign Bent or not.

The thing about Defoe is he'd be another pacey player, good as he is wouldn't it be nice to have a good mixture of ability. Perhaps a natural poacher in the Nistelrooy mould, I don't know, it's just a thought really.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar would be a real coup for us from under the noses of a few more attractive clubs if we pulled it off, it might be a bit unrealistic though.

YouTube made this totally unknown Dica a world sensation according to some on here.

I am sure I could compile a video of my mate and make him look like a true gem, but he

is really shit I promise you that! :)

Whereas we must all bow to the superiority of your views, which are almost entirely based on watching TV and listening to pundits !

Youtube tells part of the story, so if your mate happens to score a few goals from 40 yards, or takes on an entire team then yeah lets mention him in this thread.

Buying foreign players we have never heard of is always gonna be a risk, ask Brian Little about the video he saw of Savo, or John Gregory about JPA and his video, youtube is no different to an agents video, it's just accessible to mere mortals.

For what it's worth, i'd like to see us sign Aldo Duscher, we need some bite in our midfield, if we're in dream land though why not Gattuso ?

sorry no youtube link.

I'd prefer Bent to Defoe but I would be very happy with the latters signing also, even if it means the end for LM. We shall have to see.

7 days until the window opens...

7 days???? Really? I thought it was June.

I'd prefer Bent to Defoe but I would be very happy with the latters signing also, even if it means the end for LM. We shall have to see.

7 days until the window opens...

7 days???? Really? I thought it was June.

Perhaps you're right.

You can make transfers when ever you like, it's just that if a player is signed outside of a transfer window, they are ineligible until the new window opens. Therefore, there is nothing stopping us signing players now.