Christian Benteke

Kwan

Mantis in reply to your thread about us moving away from relegation I'd say the reason for that was mainly this man. Without him I really fear for us.

I don't know the point with or without him over the past 2 seasons but I'm pretty sure they will show how important he really is.

And yet we only had him fit for a third of last season. He might as well have been out of action from October to January. If all goes well we should have him fit and healthy for half of next season.
Even then what's the with and without points ratio from last season?

I'll try and work it out when get a bit of time.

I don't know, but I bet our points ratio pre-injury (August-September) and post-injury (January-March) is pretty decent.

Which is cause for concern right? We could already be down and out before he returns.

Lets get Joel Cambell on loan for 6 months till Benteke is fit !

Haha good shout but he is gonna be Wengers excuse not to buy another striker.

Mantis in reply to your thread about us moving away from relegation I'd say the reason for that was mainly this man. Without him I really fear for us.

I don't know the point with or without him over the past 2 seasons but I'm pretty sure they will show how important he really is.

And yet we only had him fit for a third of last season. He might as well have been out of action from October to January. If all goes well we should have him fit and healthy for half of next season.

I don't know, but I bet our points ratio pre-injury (August-September) and post-injury (January-March) is pretty decent.

Which is cause for concern right? We could already be down and out before he returns

In a way but as I just said, we only had a fit Benteke for about a third of last season. If we're lucky we could get at least half a season out of him this year.

And no, I think the chances of us being "down and out" by the end of the year are very very slim. Let's not start exaggerating here.

Edited by Mantis

Which is cause for concern right? We could already be down and out before he returns

In a way but as I just said, we only had a fit Benteke for about a third of last season. If we're lucky we could get at least half a season out of him this year.

And no, I think the chances of us being "down and out" by the end of the year are very very slim. Let's not start exaggerating here.

I don't get how that is exaggerating. If the majority of our points are gained when he is on the pitch and he is not back until half the season is passed, there is a chance their could be no way back. Look at QPR as an example.

I don't get how that is exaggerating. If the majority of our points are gained when he is on the pitch and he is not back until half the season is passed, there is a chance their could be no way back. Look at QPR as an example.

There is a chance we could be in a relegation scrap yes, but saying we could be down and out by say November/December is just pure hyperbole. I mean, by the end of last year Benteke had played a grand total of 4 games for us properly fit and we weren't doing too badly at that point.

And as Rovers said, look at Sunderland and Palace last season.

Edited by Mantis

There is a chance we could be in a relegation scrap yes, but saying we could be down and out by say November/December is just pure hyperbole. I mean, by the end of last year Benteke had played a grand total of 4 games for us properly fit and we weren't doing too badly at that point.

Did we finish the previous season with the worst form in the league and then the owner putting the club up for sale? You may not agree but I think that is key.

Did we finish the previous season with the worst form in the league and then the owner putting the club up for sale? You may not agree but I think that is key.

I don't think last season's form has that much of an impact, especially when all but one of our injured players should be back by the beginning of the season. I mean, we finished 12/13 on fire yet didn't exactly start last season in that great form (Arsenal win aside).

I don't think last season's form has that much of an impact, especially when all but one of our injured players should be back by the beginning of the season. I mean, we finished 12/13 on fire yet didn't exactly start last season in that great form (Arsenal win aside).

Didn't we? Considering the teams we faced we looked really good. Should have beat Chelsea and Liverpool and Newcastle just about beat us.

We could debate this forever and never agree. Let's just wait and see and hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Didn't we? Considering the teams we faced we looked really good. Should have beat Chelsea and Liverpool and Newcastle just about beat us.

We could debate this forever and never agree. Let's just wait and see and hopefully I'm proven wrong.

We were alright but I don't think we were as good as the form we were in at the back end of the previous season. I just don't think you can use the end of one season as great indicator of the form of the beginning of the next season.

We were alright but I don't think we were as good as the form we were in at the back end of the previous season. I just don't think you can use the end of one season as great indicator of the form of the beginning of the next season.

It's just one of many reasons I think we are screwed mate.

We're not screwed. Yeah things aren't looking fantastic but let's just wait and see? It almost seems as if people have already decided what kind of season we're going to have. It's only June.

We're not screwed. Yeah things aren't looking fantastic but let's just wait and see? It almost seems as if people have already decided what kind of season we're going to have. It's only June.

You've decided we'll be fine.

Where have I? I said let's wait and see. Just because I haven't gone on about how I think everything will be terrible doesn't mean I think things will be great.

Where have I? I said let's wait and see. Just because I haven't gone on about how I think everything will be terrible doesn't mean I think things will be great.

Fair enough. I did also say let's wait and see but for the record unless there is some significant changes i.e. takeover I do think we are screwed, I.e. Relegation.

I guess its like the weatherman......the more and longer you do it, the better you get.

hope and faith can only take you so far.

When you are possibly dieing its a good condition to employ.....when its commenting on your football team its a kinda longshot that could be bordering on desperation to please yourself....or kidding yourself.

It depends on a lot of factors. I really don't think it's as simple as that. Even without a takeover we could have a relatively decent season. We just don't know.

I don't see how. There's really nothing going for us to make me think we can improve.

Key players will not be match fit till later in the season. The manager has lost a lot of support and will take the brunt of abuse as the owner that wants to sell us isn't around. I can't imagine any of the players will be highly motivated knowing the club are just trying to survive and I think the atmosphere most home games will be hostile and negative.

I think we're in a mess and it's a very worrying situation IMO.

Edited by DCJonah

It depends on a lot of factors. I really don't think it's as simple as that. Even without a takeover we could have a relatively decent season. We just don't know.

I don't see how. There's really nothing going for us to make me think we can improve.

Key players will not be match fit till later in the season. The manager has lost a lot of support and will take the brunt of abuse as the owner that wants to sell us isn't around. I can't imagine any of the players will be highly motivated knowing the club are just trying to survive and I think the atmosphere most home games will be hostile and negative.

I think we're in a mess and it's a very worrying situation IMO.

Surely the only key player not match fit for the early part of the season, will be Benteke himself.

Okore is back, as should be N'Zogba and Kozak isn't far either. Other than that, who else is crocked?

I agree the manager has lost a section of supporters so will get flack regardless of his uninvolvement in the sale of the club and lack of say over available funds.

If this makes for a 'hostile environment', shouldn't we just try and get behind the team as this is the only part of the situation the club is in that we as fans can influence!

As for improvement - who knows? No one can say until matches are underway and we see how we get on. However, there is certainly room for improvement and this may or may not be achievable with a couple of new players and returning players from injury.

With the likes of Okore, Kozak, N'Zogbia, Cole, Senderos and Grealish (and hell, even Bent and Hutton) available now - do you think are stronger squad-wise than we were towards the latter end of the season - where we slumped in form and crawled over the finishing line? I do.

• Like 3

I think it will take more than a few prem season games for kozak, okore and nzogbia to be sharp and completly match fit. You don't miss that much time from the pitch and return quickly.

The fans do need to get behind but I'm not sure they all will.

Is the squad stronger than the one that finished the season? Probably. But when the squad was better previously in the season we still were performing at a poor level.

With the club up for sale, a manager losing support and annoyed and fed up fans, I don't think the slight improvement in the squad will make up for that.

Â