Christian Benteke

Kwan

The original point was 

Yes against teams like Spurs we cannot afford not to start without our best player.

Yet we won against a team better than Spurs without our best player. Regardless of whether we deserved it or not is irrelevant. No delusion. If anything, the 'lucky' aspect supports this. Football isn't as black and white that the team with the better players automatically win. Anything can happen.

Yes against teams like Spurs we cannot afford not to start without our best player.

like Man City then

Firstly, hat was out of necessity. Secondly, it was a fluke result. 99% of the time we will lose games where we are outplayed as we were against City.

Yet we still won... 3 points on the board. Staggers me why we're so quick to discredit anything good in the club.

Would you rather we delude ourselves into thinking we thoroughly deserved to win?

What deserves to win? Doesn't spirit, hardwork count, or do we have to pass it around endlessly. Apart from their goals, tell of when Guzan really had to make a save, you thought to yourself wow, what a save. Because in the end he had very little do. They dominated posession, but they didn't cut us open, for defensive work and hard work we deserved that. But it won't change your mind, as you expect us to outpass Man City and create more chances.

Hard to say we deserved to win when our initial equaliser was clearly offside. Obviously Man City only have themselves to blame for losing, I won't deny that.

Edited by Isa

Linked with Juventus for 17 mill

:bang:

Will never happen. Juve are a great club but the money is just not there to sign the likes of Benteke. They have only just admitted that they will probably be forced to sell Pogba if they receive a high bid for him.
Tbf there were actual quotes in the article from an Italian agent and what he said added up. He said Juve don't like Llorente and they're going to try to go for a striker in January or June (makes sense). He also said the only way they'd be able to buy is if they sold Llorente at a decent price and even then competition for benteke would be strong.

The article also mentioned something about Benteke being worth 30 million pounds. So basically all the agent said is Benteke is on Conte's list of potential striking targets but it's going to be very hard for Juve to pull it off and a lot of stuff would have to fall into place.

(i would've quoted the article but I'm on my phone so I figured I'd just paraphrase)

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/34078-villa-news-big-european-clubs-after-benteke.php

Edited by Rovers13

'Deserving to win' is such a grey area. I'd put it down to City not deserving to win more than us deserving to win to be honest. When you miss that many chances, scupper that much possession and only make clear cut chances from set pieces, you're asking for it.

Hard to say we deserved to win when our initial equaliser was clearly offside. Obviously Man City only have themselves to blame for losing, I won't deny that.

Did they not retake the lead after that offside goal? So what happened? Like I said apart from their goals tell me what saves Guzan had to make which were so spectacular that we were played off the park.

'Deserving to win' is such a grey area. I'd put it down to City not deserving to win more than us deserving to win to be honest. When you miss that many chances, scupper that much possession and only make clear cut chances from set pieces, you're asking for it.

Which chances? They had possession and they couldn't break us down, I'd call that good defending. If someone thinks after they battered United, that we should have tried to play a passing game against them, we would have got battered. Then Lambert would have been questioned about his tactics, he gets them right, now he's told by some fans we were lucky. Also on refereeing decisions, we haven't had any against us have we this season, just rewind back to the Chelsea game.

The original point was

Yet we won against a team better than Spurs without our best player. Regardless of whether we deserved it or not is irrelevant. No delusion. If anything, the 'lucky' aspect supports this. Football isn't as black and white that the team with the better players automatically win. Anything can happen.

Right but if the game goes like that again Villa are very unlikely to win, that's all I'm saying.

Did they not retake the lead after that offside goal? So what happened? Like I said apart from their goals tell me what saves Guzan had to make which were so spectacular that we were played off the park.

The fact remains that we won by one goal and one of our goals shouldn't have counted. So we deserved a draw at best.

No doubt when we narrowly lose a game to an offside goal, you'll be one of the first ones whinging on here about how we were cheated etc.

Right, but it won't for another few months and we got the win.

Anyway, we're off the point which was we need to play our best players against the top teams. It helps, but you don't need to. Sometimes you get the luck which is more powerful than any player tbh.

The fact remains that we won by one goal and one of our goals shouldn't have counted. So we deserved a draw at best.

No doubt when we narrowly lose a game to an offside goal, you'll be one of the first ones whinging on here about how we were cheated etc.

So first it was fluke, then it was outplayed, now it was we deserved a draw. We have been cheated in games, so why can't we take a bit of luck. You still haven't mentioned those cracking saves Guzan had to make to keep us in the game as we were so outplayed and dominated.

So first it was fluke, then it was outplayed, now it was we deserved a draw. We have been cheated in games, so why can't we take a bit of luck. You still haven't mentioned those cracking saves Guzan had to make to keep us in the game as we were so outplayed and dominated.

You can dominate without properly breaking down. We outplayed Stoke at home last season for example. Secondly, such a result will be considered a fluke until it is repeated.

Linked with Juventus for 17 mill

:bang:

Will never happen. Juve are a great club but the money is just not there to sign the likes of Benteke. They have only just admitted that they will probably be forced to sell Pogba if they receive a high bid for him.
Tbf there were actual quotes in the article from an Italian agent and what he said added up. He said Juve don't like Llorente and they're going to try to go for a striker in January or June (makes sense). He also said the only way they'd be able to buy is if they sold Llorente at a decent price and even then competition for benteke would be strong.

The article also mentioned something about Benteke being worth 30 million pounds. So basically all the agent said is Benteke is on Conte's list of potential striking targets but it's going to be very hard for Juve to pull it off and a lot of stuff would have to fall into place.

(i would've quoted the article but I'm on my phone so I figured I'd just paraphrase)http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/34078-villa-news-big-european-clubs-after-benteke.php

As I say, I can't see Juventus spending £30m on one player. There generally isn't the money in Italian football for such fees. Napoli were the only exception this summer and that was mainly down to the €55m they received for Cavani.

Also, I very much doubt that £30m would be enough for Benteke now anyway. The asking price was £25m in the summer and he is proving this season that he isn't a potential one-season wonder which significantly raises his market value.

The Man City game further demonstrates how the team has improved. They withstood pressure from one of the best teams in the world and managed to score 3 goals.

Anyone notice the doom & gloom brigade don't highlight the fact that we outplayed Chelsea on their own ground for long periods, were denied a blatent penalty & then lost to a goal scored by a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch?

We're actually showing an ability to play teams off the pitch at times. Granted it's inconsistent at times, but becoming less so in recent games.

Maintaining a focus and a high tempo game is extremely demanding and with a relatively young side, that can tax the footballing brain of a few players.

But it's coming.

Edited by StigVillan

You can dominate without properly breaking down. We outplayed Stoke at home last season for example. Secondly, such a result will be considered a fluke until it is repeated.

Were you at the game against Stoke? I was and if you think that we outplayed them, then god help us.

That might actually be the problem we'll have to face when Benteke is looking to move at the end of this season. His value might sore with another good season behind him but who will actually be able to afford our valuation when no-one would pay 25m in the previous window?

That might actually be the problem we'll have to face when Benteke is looking to move at the end of this season. His value might sore with another good season behind him but who will actually be able to afford our valuation when no-one would pay 25m in the previous window?

Another good year would prove to a lot of those waiting in the wings that he's no 'one-season wonder'.

As for who could afford him, I'm sure if certain clubs do want him, then they'll meet any valuation we put on him. The money's around, as we found out in the summer with the vastly overpriced Bale, it just depends on how much value they place on Benteke.

Whatever happens, I don't imagine for one minute we would be able to turn down anything over £30m.

Â