Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Praet is the next big thing coming out of Belgium (seriously, what's up with them at the moment?). Would be a huge signing for us, but I think it's pretty unlikely, and the source isn't credible.

What would the price for him be?

Yes, HLN confirmed #avfc interested in Dennis Praet but everyone agrees there is no way Anderlecht will release him.

No idea what 'HLN' is.

Hi Twitter Bio:

John Chapman

Account focuses on Belgian football. Started on onefootball.com years ago, written various mags & BBC since. I dislike agents, curse of football. NUJ activist.

Edited by HalfTimePost

John Chapman @BelgoFoot

Yes, HLN confirmed #avfc interested in Dennis Praet but everyone agrees there is no way Anderlecht will release him.

John Chapman @BelgoFoot

Account focuses on Belgian football. Started on onefootball.com years ago, written various mags & BBC since. I dislike agents, curse of football. NUJ activist.

Yup, Lambert wants his attacking midfielder alright.

Praet and Okore alone would mean a great window for me, but specifically Praet as I think us even enquiring could turn Benteke's head.

I have a feeling we're gonna pull off something relatively big.

If you work it out last year he spent the bones of £20mil roughly and this year you'd expect a little more between the tv money and lower wage budget, he's spent roughly 4m on Okore, 1.5m on Bacuna, 1.5m on Helenius, 1.5m on Luna, 2.5m on Tonev. I'd like to think he still has 15m to play around with.

If you work it out last year he spent the bones of £20mil roughly and this year you'd expect a little more between the tv money and lower wage budget, he's spent roughly 4m on Okore, 1.5m on Bacuna, 1.5m on Helenius, 1.5m on Luna, 2.5m on Tonev. I'd like to think he still has 15m to play around with.

I really cannot see it. Another £5m for me. At a push another £10m to sign a 'marquee' player. But I think the days of spending £25m in one window are gone. I like the route we're taking. I'd love a stand-out AM for circa £12m that still fits the 'young and hungry' philosophy mind but I really dont think it will happen.

Add a keeper to that for around 2m that gives us around 13m left.

I agree with that considering we should get 5m for Bent.

So would people prefer 1 signing for 12-15m

Or 2 at 7-8m each?

I really cannot see it. Another £5m for me. At a push another £10m to sign a 'marquee' player. But I think the days of spending £25m in one window are gone. I like the route we're taking. I'd love a stand-out AM for circa £12m that still fits the 'young and hungry' philosophy mind but I really dont think it will happen.

You could have money for Bent too, NZogbia & Bannan also likely to bring in modest fees if we can shift them. Think it'll be more than 5. 

No idea what 'HLN' is.

Hi Twitter Bio:

John Chapman

HLN is some Belgian news site.

http://www.hln.be/

Kristof Terreur who reports for HLN from England I believe, is saying Praet is a no go and nobody has confirmed it.

He also said we need to offer Benteke a proper wage and that he hopes we aren't going to think of offering him a Bent wage.

Whatever that means?

I'd like to see one more 'marquee' signing. Otherwise I think we run the risk of rotating players too much. If we can get a 10-12m creative goalscoring midfielder I think we'll be in with a great shout of pushing Europe next season, as long as Benteke stays.

Assuming that all of these summer signings are pushing for first team straight away, we have competing for the spaces :

Defenders - Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Baker, Clark, Bennett

Holding Mid - Westwood, Sylla, Herd, (Bannan)

Box to Box  - Bacuna, Gardner, El Ahmadi, (Holman), (Ireland)

Forwards / Wingers - Wiemann, Agbonlahor, Tonev, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Bowery

Centre Forwards - Benteke, Helenius, (Bent)

I think there's enough quality for each position, but I look at those midfielders, particularly the box to box ones, and wonder where the goals are going o come from. We need a Frank Lampard, someone who can take the pressure off our forwards by chipping in with goals. This would be my marquee signing, if we were to make one.

• Like 1

Terreur sounds like a twonker, wouldn't pay attention in much he says.

I'd like to see one more 'marquee' signing. Otherwise I think we run the risk of rotating players too much. If we can get a 10-12m creative goalscoring midfielder I think we'll be in with a great shout of pushing Europe next season, as long as Benteke stays.

Assuming that all of these summer signings are pushing for first team straight away, we have competing for the spaces :

Defenders - Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Baker, Clark, Bennett

Holding Mid - Westwood, Sylla, Herd, (Bannan)

Box to Box  - Bacuna, Gardner, El Ahmadi, (Holman), (Ireland)

Forwards / Wingers - Wiemann, Agbonlahor, Tonev, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Bowery

Centre Forwards - Benteke, Helenius, (Bent)

I think there's enough quality for each position, but I look at those midfielders, particularly the box to box ones, and wonder where the goals are going o come from. We need a Frank Lampard, someone who can take the pressure off our forwards by chipping in with goals. This would be my marquee signing, if we were to make one.

You forgot Delph from Box to Box.

Kristof Terreur who reports for HLN from England I believe, is saying Praet is a no go and nobody has confirmed it.

He also said we need to offer Benteke a proper wage and that he hopes we aren't going to think of offering him a Bent wage.

Whatever that means?

He said 'He hopes for Villa' we arent going to give him a Bent wage.

I assume, as in, Bent is on a ridiculous sum of money (supposedly a fair bit more than the 60-70k that often gets mentioned on here) so he's saying for our sakes not to offer him that. Which we wont. We'll offer 40, he'll reject, we'll offer 50, he'll reject and then we'll refuse to do anything and he'll eventually sign at 50k I hope.