Grand National Meeting 2013

Xela

I've had £5 on Bathazar king, £2 on teaforthree and £1 on forpadydaplasterer

in the sweepstake at work I have got ballabriggs and join together

I know absolutely fook all about horse racing, not a clue at all, I just pick one with good odds, one with decent odds and one with a good name

Might jump on the VT (Balthazar king) band wagon knowing exactly nothing about horse racing.

Skybet (who I have an account with) offering 16/1 and 5 places 'each way'.

£5 *2 for each way = returns £110 if in the top 5. Decent value?

You won't get back £110 unless it wins . You will only get a quarter of the odds if it places.

Ok I'm putting 3 bets on.

3 different horses, all each way (£10 on one and £5 on the other 2, so 20 total)

For all the betting gurus, is there any better way I can do that? All these triple malarkies, and yankees and bobsyouruncles and zipadeedoodah's??

Or shall I just stick to 3 each way bets

Might jump on the VT (Balthazar king) band wagon knowing exactly nothing about horse racing.

Skybet (who I have an account with) offering 16/1 and 5 places 'each way'.

£5 *2 for each way = returns £110 if in the top 5. Decent value?

EasyOdds page or Oddschecker page for the market across the bookies.

The latter may be better as it shows place terms for some of them.

Tbf, 5 places at 16s looks about the best you'll get unless you have an account with Chandler (BetVictor).

For returns, wot Brumerican said.

3 different horses, all each way (£10 on one and £5 on the other 2, so 20 total)

For all the betting gurus, is there any better way I can do that? All these triple malarkies, and yankees and bobsyouruncles and zipadeedoodah's??

You are doing it right. Yankees are for when you are picking winners/places from different events.

I'd be tempted to take a little of your stake on each and have a combination forecast and tricast at something like 25p stake (so 12 bets at 25p - £3 and then £4.50 e/w on one and £2 e/w on the other two)

If by some major bit of luck two of your three nags come first and second or even they all occupy the first three spots then you'd likely end up with a decent return and it doesn't detract much from your other bets. It's very unlikely but you'd kick yourself if it happened and it's all for a bit of fun. :)

Edited by snowychap

I'd be tempted to take a little of your stake on each and have a combination forecast and tricast at something like 25p stake (so 12 bets at 25p - £3 and then £4.50 e/w on one and £2 e/w on the other two)

If by some major bit of luck two of your three nags come first and second or even they all occupy the first three spots then you'd likely end up with a decent return and it doesn't detract much from your other bets. It's very unlikely but you'd kick yourself if it happened and it's all for a bit of fun. :)

I doubt it. That would require me to understand what you just wrote ;)

I doubt it. That would require me to understand what you just wrote ;)

:)

Where are you intending to place your bet? On line or in a shop?

If you're doing it in a shop then they'd help you to do it. Online and it's relatively straightforward too (simply checking the appropriate box for each horse in the forecast/tricast bit of the screen).

A forecast is predicting the horses that come first and second; a tricast predicting the horses to come first, second and third.

Doing it so they can finish in any order is a combination bet.

So if you select three horses (A, B and C) and have a combination forecast/tricast (6 forecast bets and 6 tricast bets) that means that they can finish in any order:

AA

AB

AC

BA

BC

CA

and

ABC

ACB

BAC

BCA

CAB

CBA

Edited by snowychap

Gotcha... sort of

I'm going to do it online, SkyBet most likely as I already have an account.

I'll attempt to do what you've suggested, as it sounds like a bit more excitement

And, as you said, if I don't and it does happen now I'll be furious!

Edited by Stevo985

I'll be backing Ballabriggs as the McCain/Maguire combination is one I can never turn down, not too sure about the rest of the field. Had my biggest bet on Chicago Grey last year and probably won't be doing so again.

Stevo, I've just had a quick look on SkyBet and if you go through the main link to the National betting it isn't obvious how to do forecasts. If, however, you click on Horse Racing - Aintree Racecard from the left hand menu and scroll down to tomorrow's cards (Grand National), under the runners there is a button for Forecasts & Tricasts. Click that and when making your selections click on 'any' against each one in both the forecast and tricast columns. It should then come up with a betslip that has 6 x whatever stake you enter.

That is if you do want to do forecasts. :)

snowychap endorses no particular betting strategy above any other nor any particular bookmaker. Horses can stay up as well as get brought down. I am no kind of financial advisor and a terrible tipper - it's just for a bit of fun, &c. ;)

I have never understood people when they talk about the horses, to people who dont understand it really is like listening to an entirely new language.

There's 3 blokes who always talk about it in the pub and everyone standing around them just look at each other blankly

Â