which game on PS3 - A vs B

ender4

So which is the best game for me to get in the following categories on the PS3?

1) looking for an open-world adventure game, with missions to do, but also can explore.  Not GTA4 or Saints Row as i have them already.

The games i am looking at are Skyrim vs Red Dead Redemption.

which is better, or are they not similar sort of games?

any other game to throw in the mix?

2) looking for a 3rd person shoot-em up with emphasis on story, visuals, and atmosphere.

obvioulsy good gameplay as well.  i only play single player, so don't care about multiplayer

i guess something like Mass Effect 3 vs Fallout 3 vs God of War 3 vs Far Cry 3.

assuming they are all 3rd person games?

1) Go for them both, they are both fantastic games  If you have to choose just pick your favorite Genre, wild west or fantasy!

What i will say is Skyrim is MASSIVE, if you havnt got loads of gaming time perhaps RD would be better.

2) A bit left field but check out the original Bioshock. Its old (and a 1st person shooter rather than 3rd), but for what you are looking for you wont beat it.

(Alternatively, if you go for Red Dead you could satisfy both to some degree.)

Edited by Nigel

1) looking for an open-world adventure game, with missions to do, but also can explore.  Not GTA4 or Saints Row as i have them already.

2) looking for a 3rd person shoot-em up with emphasis on story, visuals, and atmosphere.

obvioulsy good gameplay as well.  i only play single player, so don't care about multiplayer

If you're going for Mass Effect, buy 2 and 3 because the games are enormous, story driven things, and even though 3 is great (despite what some people might tell you) 2 is the best of the series. But if you only play casually Mass Effect might not be the best choice.

Far Cry 3 is superb, and would be my choice but it's a 1st person shooter, as is Fallout actually.

1) Skyrim is an incredible game but the PS3 version is borderline broken, which is a shame as it's one of the most 'explore-y' games out there. RDR is superb. Go for RDR - it's less daunting than Skyrim can be and less of a time hog. And it's just a brilliant, brilliant experience to play - I genuinely had moments in that game where I just rode around the environment admiring it (and slaughtering wildlife).

2) Fallout and Far Cry are both first person shooters (although Fallout can be played third person, it's not designed to be really, and it's shooter mechanics are... a bit different to any other shooter. Again it's rough on the PS3 - Bethesda, who make Skyrim and the Fallout series, really struggle with the PS3). Far Cry is fun though and worth a go, and pretty - the story is hopeless mind. God of War isn't a shooter, it's spectacle riddled third person action game, lots of bashing out combos. Well worth playing though and pretty simple at it's heart, but stunning. Mass Effect 3 is a good game but if you're into the story you might want to look at 2 as well - 2 is a slightly less sharp shooter, but all round a better game (largely because the story goes a bit shit in 3) and ultimately the story in 3 makes more sense if you've played the second, and events in the second game can alter events in the third (a little) if you've played both. IIRC the PS3 version of ME2 has a little interactive comic at the start that lets you learn the events of the first game and also make a few major decisions.

Max Payne 3 might be worth a look. Some people love it, others hate it. It's effectively a character study that happens to be set against a 3rd person shooter. It gets a bit repetitive, turning into a bit of a slog, but I enjoyed it, it has impressive graphics if slightly annoying presentation. And you get it for a decent price now too.

Uncharted 2/3 should come on your radar too - effectively Indiana Jones games, they're incredibly pretty, fair bit of shooting and lots of spectacle, and decent enough stories.

Edited by Chindie

I think the other posters above are pretty bang on with what they say.

It's a shame the PS3 port of Skyrim is a bit crap, because it truly is a mind-blowing game, but Red Dead Redemption is too and, like someone above mentioned, it's a third person shooter too, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone there. The only thing I'd warn about is to stick with it through the intial missions until you get to Armadillo. I felt that RDR started off a little slow.but it definitely picks up. You won't regret buying it, a truly fantastic game that makes you feel like you're in all those westerns you watched as a nipper.

For a more dedicated third person shooter ME:2 and 3 should definitely be on your list. As Chindie mentioned, there's an interactive comic at the start of ME:2 which fills you in on the story of the first Mass Effect and it gives you a few choices regarding the direction some of the character arcs go to set it up for ME:2 (adding replayability). The first Mass Effect was a bit rough around the edges for me, so I'd avoid it, though you can pick it up cheaply enough if you really want to play it I suppose.

The Uncharted series is another great shout for third person shooter/adventure games, though, unlike Chindie, I advocate buying the first game. There are a few Quick Time Events thrown in (which I friggin' despise) but you forget about them for the most part. Uncharted 2 and 3 are the better games in the series, with 2 being the best, but the first game is cheap as hell now anyway and still a really good story, in my opinion.

I'd also suggest looking at the new Tomb Raider game that is out in a few days time. It's getting really good reviews for the most part and seems to be a third-person shooter/adventure game in the mould of Uncharted.

Finally, and I know I harp on about them constantly, but I really have to recommend Rocksteady's Akham Asylum and Arkham City series of Batman games. If you're into superheroes even a tiny bit then you should get these games. They're absolutely fantastic third-person adventure games, though they're not shooters. Still, they have a really amazing fight mechanic which is deeply satisfying and insane to watch once you get the hang of it, which doesn't take long. They have tight stories, great voice acting, pretty comicbook-like visuals, fantastic characters, and the worlds they inhabit are full of life and detail. The stealth aspects to the gameplay are a lot of fun too and along with the storymode (which should keep you pretty occupied for a fair while in itself, let alone all of the Riddler challenges to collect), it has longevity in the form of the unlockable predator challenges. I can't stress enough just how great the Arkham series is. They're my absolute favourite games of recent times, though I am a pretty big Batman fan and I read the comics.

Edited by Ginko

Because the PS3 only has 256mb of video RAM.  I've no first hand experience because I played Skyrim on PC but there are many, many reports of stuttering and lag, and because of the way the game handles save files it gets worse the longer you play. It's also why DLC has not came to the PS3 version.    

Edited by The_Rev

Why is the PS3 of Skyrim broken?

I have never had a single issue with it.

Well, I've had issues with it, but yeah, it isn't really broken. I guess it isn't as smooth as the xbox version has ever been, so the idea that it's broken persists, I suppose.

If you're going to dive into the Mass Effect series, you owe it to yourself to start with the first game. It's like £12 on PSN or something.

How's about Yakuza 3 or 4. Decent 3rd person games, action based, bit of exploration, good fun, stories are ok too, mission based open world.

Edited by hogso

Because the PS3 only has 256mb of video RAM. I've no first hand experience because I played Skyrim on PC but there are many, many reports of stuttering and lag, and because of the way the game handles save files it gets worse the longer you play. It's also why DLC has not came to the PS3 version.

Yeah, have to take issue with this, man. Those threads are real old and must be from before the most substantial patching. My original save game, started on the day the game was released, is still very much playable after 150+ hours of play. As I've mentioned on here before, the worst problem I've had with it is the dammed bookshelf bug, so I can't stack books properly :(

Also, the last of the DLC was released this week, all at half price cos of the delay ^___^

Â