The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Just had a piano lesson and it was terrible, I think that with quite a hectic weekend behind me, a job interview tomorrow and a few money worries everything kind of got on top of me.

I couldn't play anything I already know for shit and was getting pretty frustrated, the strange thing is that I was playing some new stuff for the first time really well.

Bit annoyed with myself though, I probably should have postponed that lesson and asked if we could reschedule for later in the week, ah well I'll know for next time won't I

My headphones broke whilst I was away over Easter so that when I was out walking and listening to music I seemed to be getting an entirely new track ( think it's known as the oops effect ?)

it sorta brought the drums to the fore , pushed back the guitars and vocals and then every now and then you'd hear random instrument or backing track  .. actually rather fascinating and made me realise how easy bass players have it as half the time they don't seem to be playing anything  ... or am I being harsh on them ?

It depends on what you're into.

Punk is often pretty simplistic, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to play it, though a little bit of precision is nice.

Jazz bassists are altogether different creatures, they will often be the most aware of scales and modes as they are laying the foundation that the rest of the band build upon.

Drummers are often the butt of band humour, but the reality is that if your bass and drums are tight, you can sorta get away with just about anything.

• Like 4

but the reality is that if your bass and drums are tight, you can sorta get away with just about anything.

Totally. And if they're not up to it, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the musicians are!

• Like 1

Always been intrigued by those be caused of the hollow body and the propensity towards crunchy tones. How does it play?

I haven't had a chance to have a good go on it so far, just a quick plug in and play for 5 minutes but initial impressions are very good indeed

I'd bloody well hope so for the best part of a grand! [emoji38]

When you throw in the cost of the 2 guitars I traded in at the same time it might come to a little bit more than what I said, but my missus reads VT so ill edit this post in a few minutes...

Well done Jim, I think you picked up a find guitar there, a real bargain at only 200 quid. Your missus will be dead chuffed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the Country that spawned The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cream and The Who, I see that Zayn Malik has been awarded an award for his contribution to music !

Speechless.... but I guess that's progress. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had another piano lesson earlier, my teacher said she's going to get me started on graded pieces, she said anything below 4 will be to easy for me.

She's going to give me a couple of grade 3 songs to start me off and then move me onto the harder stuff.

I'm not sure what what difficulty level they will be but to be at a grade 4 level after 3 months of playing cant be too bad can it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at how much uprights go for - Not a lot.

£5 for one in Worcester with 40 minutes to go - Good nick too.

Saying that - I would want it to go on the ground floor.

Â