The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Debate, counter debate, argument, counter argument.

Randy Lerner can be summed up quite quickly and easily.

He is a proven failure as a sports club owner.

The evidence is there for all to see and be witness to.

End of story and really should be the end of this thread (but it won't be!).

Well it depends what his aims are.

You cant just call him a failure as a sports club owner because the team are doing shit. 

You cant just call him a failure as a sports club owner because the team are doing shit. 

Hes ran two sports teams and been a disaster with both, so yes..........hes a failure. ;)

Yes I can. Call a Browns fan for clarification.

Thats from a fans point of view but I think Woody may be alluding to how much he sold it for, if his aim was make money then he has. As for the Villa only time will tell to whether he manages to make money from it.

Precisely this.

If Randy Lerner came to Aston Villa to make money (which I assume he did baring in mind you would have to be mad to just fund a football team for the sake of it - (as mad as you would have to be if you ever believed there was any other case incidently)), then even if he makes 1p its a success. Not a great success by all means but he has achieved his aim. 

He didnt come to make our Saturday evenings pleasant. 

Edited by Woodytom

Thats from a fans point of view but I think Woody may be alluding to how much he sold it for, if his aim was make money then he has. As for the Villa only time will tell to whether he manages to make money from it.

If his aim is solely to make money then he has failed as a sports club owner. He could have chosen other, far safer and less emotive business ventures just to make money. So for me, he has failed.

Edited by pacbuddies

Also you cant say he is a 'failure' with his Villa tenure (regardless of his aims) as his tenure is still ongoing.

Atm, you can say he is failing (if indeed the aim is for a successful football team), just as much as you can say he is succeeding atm if the aim is to develop a profitable business.

Just like

4 years ago, you can say he was succeeding with the football team but failing withthe business.

Either way, we can not definately say what he is as we do not know his aims and his tenure is incomplete.

If his aim is solely to make money then he has failed as a sports club owner. He could have chosen other, far safer and less emotive business ventures just to make money. So for me, he has failed.

That makes no sense.

Making money is about making money. Not considering whether or not 'woodytom' or 'pacbuddies' will enjoy watching match of the day.

There is no law that says to succeed in making money, you have to choose businesses that arent risky and not upset people. You just have to make money.

In fact, you could argue that he is quite the genius because he is potentially going to make money out of a product that is completely shit!!

Edited by Woodytom

That makes no sense.

Making money is about making money. Not considering whether or not 'woodytom' or 'pacbuddies' will enjoy watching match of the day.

There is no law that says to succeed in making money, you have to choose businesses that arent risky and not upset people. You just have to make money.

In fact, you could argue that he is quite the genius because he is potentially going to make money out of a product that is completely shit!!

However, if he has an 8 year investment that makes hardly any money in this time you could still reasonably claim that he has failed at making money.

He might come out of it in the black but he would have missed so many opportunities invest his money better that you would still have to consider it a failure.

"In fact, you could argue that he is quite the genius because he is potentially going to make money out of a product that is completely shit!!"

How is he going to make money from Villa now?

Edited by PieFacE

That makes no sense.

He appointed Alex McLeish so you lost it for me when you mentioned the word 'genius'.

"In fact, you could argue that he is quite the genius because he is potentially going to make money out of a product that is completely shit!!"

Simply by cutting more costs. 

That makes no sense.

He appointed Alex McLeish so you lost it for me when you mentioned the word 'genius'.

Your going to be lost for a very long time while you continue to look at it from purely a footballing viewpoint. 

That makes no sense.

However, if he has an 8 year investment that makes hardly any money in this time you could still reasonably claim that he has failed at making money.

He might come out of it in the black but he would have missed so many opportunities invest his money better that you would still have to consider it a failure.

Yes and no. I see your point but then there is no proof that the the missed opportunities will have proved more positive.

Your going to be lost for a very long time while you continue to look at it from purely a footballing viewpoint. 

I am a football supporter. This is a football supporters forum. Think I have that bit right at least.

I am a football supporter. This is a football supporters forum. Think I have that bit right at least.

You don't.

Football is a massive brand now that includes so much more than the game. Hence why R.Lerner has always had more on his mind than the results.

Edited by blandy

Simply by cutting more costs. 

.......and then selling.

Its obvious to anyone what lerner is trying to do.

He wants to change the philosophy of the coaching to something like what Tony Dungy did in the nfl.

He thinks anyone over the age of 23 is too set in their ways and will not respond to it. Especially English and Irish working class lads so he's bombed the old pro's out of the team only Dunne, Ireland and Bent are left, but they'll be on their way soon.

just the middle class country boys like Nathan Baker and Ceiran Clarke.

I can't believe that Lambert uses this softly softly approach.

"don't get upset Ceiran, don't listen to the fans Barry they're animals who work in factorys"

The problem we have is that in a relegation scrap you need a screaming sergent major like Tony Pulis. and Dungys team first season was a write off too. Lerner has accepted relegation as a consequence, so get your sat nav's ready for huddesfield next season.

Â