The Randy Lerner thread

CI

GT speaks the truth. the players really haven't shown up and to be fair the supporters haven't exactly given them much reason to, which started because our owner hired a hated rival. Don't know what else he expected. Recipe for disaster. We'll stay up, and AM will have to go. No other which way about it.

What? That isn't balanced, that's just another typical McLeish wank fest. He keeps on falling back to the old "Villa fans don't like him because of where he came from" crap. I'm fed up of all the excuses. The sales of Young and Downing and the fact that McLeish wasn't backed to the hilt do not justify the results or the performances.

When you say balanced you mean you agree with it.

McLeish has done a terrible job, it is irrelevant that he hasn't had the same backing as O'Neill.

As for not listening to the fans or forums, well as an ex England manager who's reputation was damaged when he left the job much like Mclaren's he would say that wouldn't he. Yet the truth is that Randy perhaps should have listened to fans a little more, he avoided the nightmare that was McLaren thanks to the fans then stopped listening and walked into an even bigger one with McLeish.

I would rather have a owner who didn't listen to fans but when we have an owner as clueless as Lerner then listening to the fans wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The amount of money available has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with the way a side it set up or the approach a team takes to the game. That is about the manager and his approach to the game and not the finances he is given.

Oh and another thing, he says N'Zogbia has been "almost a disaster" (personally I wouldn't go quite that far) but doesn't acknowledge that this is partially because of bad management. Hardly balanced is it?

Oh and another thing, he says N'Zogbia has been "almost a disaster" (personally I wouldn't go quite that far) but doesn't acknowledge that this is partially because of bad management. Hardly balanced is it?

He also forgets that fact that McLeish spent £9.5m on him, he might not have had the money O'Neill had but he has wasted what he has had.

He also forgets that fact that McLeish spent £9.5m on him, he might not have had the money O'Neill had but he has wasted what he has had.

Agreed. He makes out that McLeish has had next to nothing to spend but that's not true at all.

Not sure if I've forgotten history or Taylor has but didn't o'neil take a 16th place side to 6th in his 1st season when he wasn't greatly backed financially? I may be forgetting but wasn't that season built on freebies like agathe etc.

Not meaning to praise o'neil but point out that mcleish has failed to get anywhere near the 1st season with same restrictions and previous poor season by the team the year before.

1st post so go easy on me ????

I think that you need to approach things with an open mind in order to recognise 'balance'. Clearly in the last paragraph GT is criticising McLeish and pointing out the fact that he is sending the team out not to lose.

I just think it's better to lose a game by trying to win it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it's better for the supporters, spectators and the game as a whole.

"If you are preparing your side not to lose - and I'm sure Alex would disagree, but that's how it looks - then, if you don't win that game, you come in for a great deal of criticism and that's what's been happening at Villa."

He is also right that the handling of McLaren was downright rude, but that is a black mark for Mr Lerner, and perhaps Paul Faulkner.

I have previously gone on record about McLeish and 'backing'. Manager's take jobs to work with the players available, and maybe the opportunity to sign one or two. As far as I am concerned McLeish has received enormous backing, as Houllier did. Nevertheless the press are bound to point to the huge difference between that and the megamoney that was made available to the Messiah.

I do approach things with an open mind. If GT was so balanced, how come he doesn't consider the possibility that N'Zogbia's poor form is partly down to bad management? Why does he bring up the SHA connection? It's irrelevant. Houllier got more abuse than McLeish is getting and when McLeish was originally appointed the vast majority preferred him. It's not like he's doing an average job and getting stick for it. He's doing an incredibly shit job. He's the worst Villa manager in decades. Of course he's going to be getting heavily criticised from the fans.

One thing is for certain, Taylor isn't coming into the club on the board as some have previously suggested. There is absolutely no chance of that happening when he is being so openly critical of both board and manager.

TBF even McLeish's own mom would slag him off at the moment.

Remember, Taylor doesn't write the headline or the article. If you look at just the quotes, he critises McLeisn IMO....

"Anybody that's at Birmingham City and moves to Villa, if they don't 'win, win, win' as soon as they start, the criticism of their appointment will get fiercer. And that's what happened to Alex to the extent that, when you're not winning games, the players lose confidence."

"It's been hard for him to make the players get belief in him as to how he wanted them to play."

"There was a fall-out between Martin and the club and Martin left. What is very difficult for Alex - and is not his fault - is that it was most surprising that he was offered the job.

"I was most surprised at that and thought it was very rude as well. And yet, immediately after that within a week or 10 days, they appointed Alex McLeish from Birmingham.

And there were far more comments on the internet than there had been about Steve McClaren, but they took no notice of them on that occasion."

"If you are preparing your side not to lose - and I'm sure Alex would disagree, but that's how it looks - then, if you don't win that game, you come in for a great deal of criticism and that's what's been happening at Villa."

I just heard a little snippet concerning Nigel Reo Coker.

He didnt expect a pay increase. What he did want was a 2 year deal or 1 year rolling deal as he was settled - but was offered neither.

Now I know he had his detractors but surely his experience this season would have been invaluable and he may have been one player who may actually have worked under McLeish.

Lets hope letting him go for nothing doesnt prove to costly.

Â