The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It's absolutely astonishing how a man who had to just pay MON & GH with what is reported to be 12m can give AMC a 3 year deal. Just the fact he just got Birmingham City relegated is enough to only offer a 1year deal, and that's forgetting how much Villa fans didnt want him here in the first place.

The mans business sense is pretty shite for a billionaire.

Thats what I was thinking. It is a similar situation with the Browns.

It's just a shame that you didn't do it 18 months earlier.

Yes, after having seen the appointments Lerner has made for manager it is a real shame he didn't replace MON earlier.

We could be all excited challenging for the playoffs if he had.

I think Randy has got one right, one wrong and one so-so in terms of his appointments.

When he arrived he needed a manager that could win right now - that could make a team over perform - Martin O'Neill was the right man and anyone that thinks he was Doug's man really wants something of a check up.

When it became clear that we wouldn't be able to get into the top four on that basis (through the emergence of City, the arrival of more money into the game and the depletion of our own Chairman's wealth) - he needed to go out and get a builder, someone who could put in a philosophy and help us get there slowly - Houllier might have been that man, he might not, we didn't really get the chance to find out - Lerner's mistake wasn't necessarily in his choice of replacement but in the speed and severity of his switch from one philosophy to the next - the players weren't up for it.

I'd have thought the natural thing to do would be to continue this path, and indeed it looked like we tried - the manager that inspired Swansea's footballing style and has kept Wigan in the league was our first choice - I think he'd have been the right one.

What we ended up doing was finding we couldn't quite get what we wanted and panicking. The current manager is the worst I can ever remember at Villa Park - not just on the basis of results, but on his methods - there is no discernible style, there is no discernible plan, there doesn't seem to be a vision or an aim - no style, no hope, no future.

The most important thing Lerner has to do now is admit his mistake.

Lerner is a typical American......all gung ho rubbish and loud noises but no plan B if it all went wrong. The appointment of Eck was Barmy.

Not stereotyping too much there are we.

Anyway not sure what thread to put this is in, so I will stick it here.

There are 2 key dates that have put the club in the position we see today. As has already been mentioned, the Emile Heskey transfer.

The other date is the Carling cup final in 2010. I remember on that same day Spurs had a tricky game against a good everton side. I remember thinking they would slip up, they went on to win 2-1, you all know what happened in the cup final. That Spurs win according to my spurs supporting friends was the catalyst, the key game that drove them on to the champions league 4th place. That was also the game where they overtook us in the league (went 2 points ahead), and also overtook us as a club.

A Villa win in the cup final (damn you phil dowd) and an everton win in that important top 6 game, and we would see a very Aston Villa football club today

A very symbolic day. :cry: :cry:

I've never said CI loves McLeish. At least read my posts properly before accusing me of being hypocritical.

Yes you have, dont lie. And before you ask me to trawl back through 600+ pages in the Mcleish thread to find you 'evidence' , dont bother, i cant be arsed.

No, I didn't. I asked him what he saw in McLeish but that's it.

Lerner is a poor businessman pure and simple.

MON was so low down the pecking order in terms of the management structure of the club and he wasn't even a Board member.

In what other company would the owner and CEO allow a manager to recklessly spend money that put the company into a serious financial position meaning that they could no longer function at a level where they could compete with their main competitors in the market place?

In any other business MON would have been curtailed or sacked before it got close to this state.

I wonder if some of those high earners who hardly played feel a bit guilty for the mess the club is in. I know none of us would turn down 50k but still.....

Oh yes, I am sure that they are all sitting up a corner nervously shaking and crying because of the mess that AVFC is in!

I wonder if some of those high earners who hardly played feel a bit guilty for the mess the club is in. I know none of us would turn down 50k but still.....

Oh yes, I am sure that they are all sitting up a corner nervously shaking and crying because of the mess that AVFC is in!

If Beye has a conscience he will . How can a man take 50k out of the club every week for doing absolutely nothing.

If Beye has a conscience he will . How can a man take 50k out of the club every week for doing absolutely nothing.

Well he did and I doubt that he is a gibbering guilty wreck because of it.

I think Randy has got one right, one wrong and one so-so in terms of his appointments.

When he arrived he needed a manager that could win right now - that could make a team over perform - Martin O'Neill was the right man and anyone that thinks he was Doug's man really wants something of a check up.

When it became clear that we wouldn't be able to get into the top four on that basis (through the emergence of City, the arrival of more money into the game and the depletion of our own Chairman's wealth) - he needed to go out and get a builder, someone who could put in a philosophy and help us get there slowly - Houllier might have been that man, he might not, we didn't really get the chance to find out - Lerner's mistake wasn't necessarily in his choice of replacement but in the speed and severity of his switch from one philosophy to the next - the players weren't up for it.

I'd have thought the natural thing to do would be to continue this path, and indeed it looked like we tried - the manager that inspired Swansea's footballing style and has kept Wigan in the league was our first choice - I think he'd have been the right one.

What we ended up doing was finding we couldn't quite get what we wanted and panicking. The current manager is the worst I can ever remember at Villa Park - not just on the basis of results, but on his methods - there is no discernible style, there is no discernible plan, there doesn't seem to be a vision or an aim - no style, no hope, no future.

The most important thing Lerner has to do now is admit his mistake.

One of the more sensible posts on here for some time.

The only point that I would make is timing. O'Neill's job was always a quick fix, and he should have been removed much earlier. That would have given the club a much better choice of potential appointments, and his successor a much better chance of building something.

And you are entirely correct in your final line.

What a load of rubbish. Why should he? He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't go on strike he trained with who he was told to, he didn't bad mouth anyone. Should every player that isn't picked feel some sort of guilt?

I've never said CI loves McLeish. At least read my posts properly before accusing me of being hypocritical.

Yes you have, dont lie. And before you ask me to trawl back through 600+ pages in the Mcleish thread to find you 'evidence' , dont bother, i cant be arsed.

Here's my position. The McLeish appointment was bizarre & wrong.

However he's here, I will support him as best I can as a fan. Wigan away was a seminal moment for me. 4000 Villa fans calling our own manager a bluenose word removed etc etc, segments then chanting Darren Bent what a w***ker. It affected the players and meant we didnt win that game. Thats no way to carry on.

McLeish will eventually be fired, so while he's here I refuse to undermine him or the club.

As for all the abuse, bring it on. If you dont like that stance thats your problem not mine

The only point that I would make is timing. O'Neill's job was always a quick fix, and he should have been removed much earlier. That would have given the club a much better choice of potential appointments, and his successor a much better chance of building something.

You're the only person i've ever seen argue that MON should have been sacked earlier.

You really think we'd attract a high quality manager by sacking a bloke who was getting more points every season? What kind of message does that send out if improving the team and finishing 6th was worth being sacked?

When Mon left we'd just had a good season and clearly there was around £25 million to spend. You want us to believe that this wasn't a situation where a decent manager could be attracted?

And after the appointment of houllier, Mcleish and the numerous failires at the browns you think that somehow Lerner was going to do something he's struggled with and appoint a fantastic manager if he sacked MON earlier?

Blind faith must be a nice feeling.

In a way I agree, we could and perhaps should have removed MON after he plateaued in season 3

We were still on an upwards trajectory then and could have attracted a Grade 1 manager such as Van Gaal (just an example)

In a way I agree, we could and perhaps should have removed MON after he plateaued in season 3

We were still on an upwards trajectory then and could have attracted a Grade 1 manager such as Van Gaal (just an example)

This is just utter nonsense.

We could have attracted a top class manager yet 12 months later after a better season we then can only attract rubbish?

Â