The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Well said Mazrim.

:lol:

You hate a manager who saw us winning games and challenging top 4. You loved a manager who saw us losing games and fighting relegation. You now hate a manager for doing exactly the same.

It's very strange.

Actually, I used to quite like MON before he threw his toys out of the pram five days before the start of a new season. Like some on here I used to think he was the messiah but after he left I realised that the legacy he left behind wasn't all that great. I also realised that he spent a lot of money and that the job he did while decent, wasn't the sutff of miracles like people make out.

I never loved Houllier. I really don't know where you get this from. As always, putting words into my mouth.

Yes, I do hate McLeish, but it's more than a bit unfair to lump the two together. Overall McLeish has been working under easier circumstances. Also with McLeish, there have never really been any good signs where as with Houllier there were at least some. The most important point at all is McLeish's negative attitude. I know we'd sometimes surrender before the game had even started under Houllier but we seem to be doing this way more often under McLeish. Even the games we don't surrender we still don't put up much of a fight. We never dominate teams. We play the worst football I've ever seen.

Of course, this will probably all go over your head and you'll accuse me of loving Houllier and being hypocritical for hating McLeish in a couple of weeks time.

How is it that if you didn't hate Houllier you must have loved him?
God knows. I criticised Houllier a number of times and have said on multiple occasions that whatever the circumstances we shouldn't have been in a relegation battle.

Stephen Warnock (£6m) Good player playing well this season, Houllier didn't like him for whatever childish reason but it's hard to know if MON would have gotten the best out of him had he stayed. the transfer fee includes the England International surcharge

decent start this season but was awful mid-season that he was dropped for Clark at Wolves and think was booed at VP. had a good 1st 6 months but not good snce

£12 million paid to MoN and houllier. Compensation paid to Birmingham City. Pay rise and a 3 year contract for Mcleish.

And some people have the nerve to defend Lerner and constantly complain about MON wasting money.

That is a good point. All that money wasted on managers, we could of got a decent striker for that. Although with Mcleish tactics another striker would probably be of no use.

I remember when Villa park was near enough to a fortress,now it"s turned into a **** cradle

02/03?

I would say 08/09.

Liverpool, Pompey, United, Leicester, Sunderland, Wigan all won at VP that year

I remember when Villa park was near enough to a fortress,now it"s turned into a **** cradle

02/03?

I would say 08/09.

Liverpool, Pompey, United, Leicester, Sunderland, Wigan all won at VP that year

Wrong, Liverpool at villa park was 0-0. Portsmouth at home was 0-0. Manchester united at home was 0-0. Wigan at home was 0-0. And sunderland at home was a 2-1 win. As for the leicester game, that was in the cup, I was just talking about league.

Only 3 home defeats.

Yeah there were alot of draws, but to have manchester united, liverpool, arsenal and everton, all come to villa park and not win, is impressive. Just looking back at that season, we had it in the bag, it is so frustrating. That was the season that could of changed the face of this club for the next decade. The other 2 6th place finishes, villa were never really in the running for 4th place.

Well said Mazrim.

You hate a manager who saw us winning games and challenging top 4. You loved a manager who saw us losing games and fighting relegation. You now hate a manager for doing exactly the same.

It's very strange.

Actually, I used to quite like MON before he threw his toys out of the pram five days before the start of a new season. Like some on here I used to think he was the messiah but after he left I realised that the legacy he left behind wasn't all that great. I also realised that he spent a lot of money and that the job he did while decent, wasn't the sutff of miracles like people make out.

I never loved Houllier. I really don't know where you get this from. As always, putting words into my mouth.

Yes, I do hate McLeish, but it's more than a bit unfair to lump the two together. Overall McLeish has been working under easier circumstances. Also with McLeish, there have never really been any good signs where as with Houllier there were at least some. The most important point at all is McLeish's negative attitude. I know we'd sometimes surrender before the game had even started under Houllier but we seem to be doing this way more often under McLeish. Even the games we don't surrender we still don't put up much of a fight. We never dominate teams. We play the worst football I've ever seen.

Of course, this will probably all go over your head and you'll accuse me of loving Houllier and being hypocritical for hating McLeish in a couple of weeks time.

God knows. I criticised Houllier a number of times and have said on multiple occasions that whatever the circumstances we shouldn't have been in a relegation battle.

I don't see how McLeish has been working under easier circumstances. OK Houllier didn't get the preseason but he had Downing and Young plus £30m to spend in January. McLeish came in with Downing and Young getting sold and less than £20m to spend plus the hatred of 90% of our own fans to contend with. He has been shit but Houllier was shitter imo.

Well said Mazrim.

It's very strange.

I think more happened than just one man saying 'I've had enough' and chucking his toys out of the pram. He successfully sued the club for constructive dismissal.

O'Neill will definitely write an autobiography eventually. I'm unsure if there was some sort of non-disclosure agreement in his settlement with Villa. Lerner's too private for writing books.

I think more happened than just one man saying 'I've had enough' and chucking his toys out of the pram. He successfully sued the club for constructive dismissal.

He didn't. It was settled out of court.

But you're right of course. He walked as a man of principle, I think cos he no longer felt he could work with the idiots at the top. I suspect MON was in prime position to see what was going to happen to the club... was increasingly **** off with decisions being taken by people that know **** all about football, **** off with having his best players willingly sold by the board (other clubs don't bend over and take it up the arse from the top clubs quite like we do) and having the terms of his employment changed from "get us into the CL in 5 years" to "cut wages, sell players and try not to get relegated.

The many disastrous decisions taken by the board since he left suggest he was the only one who knew anything about football at the club. Sure he made some bad decisions, but far more good ones... and compared to Randy, his decision making was positively exemplary.

He didn't. It was settled out of court.

But you're right of course. He walked as a man of principle, I think cos he no longer felt he could work with the idiots at the top. I suspect MON was in prime position to see what was going to happen to the club... was increasingly **** off with decisions being taken by people that know **** all about football, **** off with having his best players willingly sold by the board (other clubs don't bend over and take it up the arse from the top clubs quite like we do) and having the terms of his employment changed from "get us into the CL in 5 years" to "cut wages, sell players and try not to get relegated.

The many disastrous decisions taken by the board since he left suggest he was the only one who knew anything about football at the club. Sure he made some bad decisions, but far more good ones... and compared to Randy, his decision making was positively exemplary.

Those players wanted to leave. I think the club tried to resist, especially with Barry, but the fact is they wanted to move to clubs in the champions league.

He walked as a man of principle,

Five days before the start of the season. Thanks Martin.

Â