The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It might sound a bit mental, but Cameron being a Villa fan, a club with the potential to be amongst the elite but in dire need of investment, would have almost certainly came up if this guy is looking to get into football.

Not that anyone of sound judgement should listen to David Cameron. Just saying, we were probably mentioned.

Thing is he's not a villa fan. It pArt of his man of the people bullshit

he would of supported Liverpool if that was the case ;)

Mantis -

A few people have contacted me to say "have you seen this" (Re: a consortium) and there was also something I had been sent about South Americans being interested, this alongside the rumours around currently just make me think the fire is burning for a takeover.

I can't say whether any of this is factual, or if it is just another smoke without fire though. I don't like posting what people have told me, because I'm the last person who would ever know things like this and hate 'ITK' tags.

I just felt I should post why I am confident.

Mantis -

A few people have contacted me to say "have you seen this" (Re: a consortium) and there was also something I had been sent about South Americans being interested, this alongside the rumours around currently just make me think the fire is burning for a takeover.

I can't say whether any of this is factual, or if it is just another smoke without fire though. I don't like posting what people have told me, because I'm the last person who would ever know things like this and hate 'ITK' tags.

I just felt I should post why I am confident.

not sure I understand what the big taboo is, with ITK's.... we are all villa fans, giving each other info.

If we have heard something say it, some info is strong, some not so strong.... we can't be trading on egg shells with it.

There are obviously, people who have no interest in AVFC and just take the piss..... we will get to know them quickly and know who we can trust or not.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Fair point mate.. 

I don't mind sharing but I don't want people thinking this is 100% happening, I don't even know if it is true... but I do think - even though others would disagree - that there are parties sniffing around, I guess it just depends on whether they are the right people, with the ability to buy the club and run it well.

For the record, I think the Red Bull rumour is bollocks but is perhaps handy for hiding something else.

Edit: I have seen how real ITK's have been treated on here, it will probably scare those off willing to share info (and I know there are some), but then people bemoan the lack of ITK's... it can't be both ways, either we treat them with respect or lose them.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

just tried to post a spreadsheet that has not transposed....IT skills up the swanny will try later

It was based on transfer fee's on current squad v Current League position in terms of points tally

some interesting points :

• 3 of the biggest spenders in the upper quartile, no surprises there.....Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea
  • 3 of the biggest spenders in the lower quartile,Man City( only just), Man Utd,Spurs
  • Aston Villa & Sunderland very much in the lower section of the lower quartile, wonder if there is a correlation there.
  • of the 11 teams in the upper quartile only 3 were amongst the biggest spenders
  • Aston Villa grouped with Everton & Newcastle in terms of spend but lower on performance of league position

will try to get the speadsheet  posted so you can make your own conclusions

Edited by TRO

It might sound a bit mental, but Cameron being a Villa fan, a club with the potential to be amongst the elite but in dire need of investment, would have almost certainly came up if this guy is looking to get into football.

Not that anyone of sound judgement should listen to David Cameron. Just saying, we were probably mentioned.

Thing is he's not a villa fan. It pArt of his man of the people bullshit

How do you figure? Pretty sure if he wanted to pretend to support a football team to connect with the public he'd choose a more popular team.

Wasn't his uncle a club secretary or some nonsense. Have vague recollections of reading that about our Tarquin.
Something like that. I don't know why people try and deny that Cameron is a Villa fan. Admittedly he's probably played it up since becoming PM but that's about it.
His UNCLE was Sir William Dugdale - Chairman of Aston Villa after our saviour (Puke) and hero of some Doug Ellis. He attended games with his Uncle so I think it is possible he is a Villa Fan (regardless if he attends or not) just like many on here who don't attend for whatever reason

He still is Cameron's uncle. You make it sound like he's dead

LOL - Yeah it does doesn't it mate - well i'm 56 this year so he must be in his 80's/90's !!!

Very interesting to read peoples opinions on being bought by someone like Red Bull.

I am one of the fortunate one who have seen us be the biggest club in Europe, seen us win the league too and there isnt a cat in hells chance I will see that again if I live to be 100 if we carry on being the only club playing by the rules. Does anyone really think that Man City fans think that their league win is somehow devalued by the fact they have been bankrolled...I bet they couldnt give a toss. They will just enjoy being a big club, watching decent football and winning trophies.

I want Aston Villa to be great again and quite frankly at this point I dont care how we achieve it. I want to take my son to watch good football played by good players who win matches and if that means my club has to sell its soul to Red Bull then so be it. Its only a matter of time before that happens or we join the big clubs like Blackpool and Preston North End.

As long as they don't change the club name and colours, then I'd be fine with it. They can have their logo on the shirts, all over the ground, even in the toilets if they want, do not care. Not that it's going to happen, mind. 

Does this suggest that it's still a combination of spending poorly as well as not enough?

yes on both counts, but more bias on the spending poorly, rather than not enough.

I would be very interested to know what our net spend has been since Lerner took over. We all know he blew loads when MON was in charge but surely a lt of this was re-couped? Wages is a different issue but you show me any company where wages isn't the biggest cost.

I would be very interested to know what our net spend has been since Lerner took over. We all know he blew loads when MON was in charge but surely a lt of this was re-couped? Wages is a different issue but you show me any company where wages isn't the biggest cost.

according to "Myoldmansaid" our current squad has cost 81.6 million euros, Newcastle 84.4 million euros, Everton 82.9 million euros....but of course this is a "moving feast" its kinda out of date as soon as its typed

We did waste most of it under O'Neill, but then recouped quite a bit with Young,Milner & Downing.

We then allowed the new managers to do much the same, but they never had enough time to "wash out" or negate the poor return signings.

problem is since O'Neill it has not been a properly structured building programme, more a quick fix to keep us in the division, strategy, which eventually can come back and bite you.

Edited by TRO

Good point about the quick fix's. They seem to be starting again from scratch almost now but left the squad a few injuries away from being a championship quality team. We seriously need an injection of funds to keep us in this league over the next few years IMO.

As for Newcastle, you gotta hand it to Pardew. He got slated quite bad for the number of French players he signed but when you compare them to the level of English player that can be brought for the same amount. It's a no brainer as to who you'd choose.

Good point about the quick fix's. They seem to be starting again from scratch almost now but left the squad a few injuries away from being a championship quality team. We seriously need an injection of funds to keep us in this league over the next few years IMO.

As for Newcastle, you gotta hand it to Pardew. He got slated quite bad for the number of French players he signed but when you compare them to the level of English player that can be brought for the same amount. It's a no brainer as to who you'd choose.

They can have a bone through their nose, or come from outer mongolia,for all i care....as long as they can do the job required to perform well.

Â