O'Neill on transfer window again

JohnCresswell

Malcom urges Martin O'Neill - less talking, more action please!

Martin O'Neill has just been on Sky complaining about the problems with the transfer window and how prices for players he wants keeps getting inflated.

He also mentioned he would be battling on and doing his best and so on and so on, as we needed to improve the squad but he would prefer the system to be as it was back in the good old days.

There are nineteen other managers in the Premiership who seem to me to be getting on with job of trying to bring in players and talking their club up.

Even those who stated they maybe couldn't afford much if anything like Pearce and Moyes have kept their council or been upbeat about their teams prospects in Pearce's case suggesting he'd love to get Beckham

Even Boothroyd under pressure to sell his star player or Pardew similarly have kept a positive profile and visibly moved to bring in players

Yes O'Neill will bring someone in, yes he is no doubt working hard to do it quickly, no he probably won't leave it all until the 11th hour as some Celtic fans keep suggesting, but why all the excuses? Why this repeated dogma about not being able to achieve what he wants because of the way the system is.

All the other managers in the various leagues get on with it, I have just seen Rafa Benitez after 2 awful results stand his ground and suggest he'll be involved in some deals soon and he is happy with the backing his board keep giving him.

What do we get? Negative platitudes and excuses which if O'Neill as I believe will bring in a few big deals, will look slightly hypocritical and of no positive value.

We have not won in 11 matches maybe 12 can we be a bit more up beat please no great need to make excuses to pre-empt possible failure.

Where has the cheeky smile gone? Where is the renowned quirky comment disappeared to? Is he feeling the pressure that much? Surely not.

Get going Martin now, not on January 31st please.

What exactly is the point of this thread , other than to bitch

There are managers other than MON out there that are pretty pissed off with the transfer system and have spoken about it

There are to many people out there that seem to want to dig at a man that still hasnt had chance to make his mark on the way the first team looks .

Give him time , the blokes obviously pissed of with people constantly trying to rip him and the club off . I mean 8 million for a kid who's played just over 20 games in the premierhip , its a feckin joke

O'Neill's window frustration

By James Pearson - Created on 12 Jan 2007

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has spoken of his frustration of trying to strengthen his squad since the turn of the year.

The Midlands outfit have been relatively quiet so far in January with only the loan capture of Manchester United's Phil Bardsley to show for their efforts.

The Ulsterman is loath to pay through the nose to bring in fresh faces and believes the transfer window makes it hard for clubs to wheel and deal.

"It's absolutely no different to what I expected," O'Neill said on this January's transfer window.

"It's been the same every single January since this foolish rule was brought into being.

"Every single club in Europe is looking at this window, because it's the only opportunity to try and do business.

"By the same token I don't want to be held to ransom, but obviously at the same time very aware that we'll like to try and strengthen the squad.

"All the things that have come into being I expected anyway."

Clicky

I know I'm late to the party, and I can only imagine the level of impatience 20 years of Deadly Doug has engendered... but there are an awful lot of tantrums being thrown about how we haven't been given our candy on demand. And be clear, these are tantrums. "I want my toys, now, now!, or I'll hate you!" is the tone of most every complaint. As if MON wants to get the club relegated or something. :roll:

I don't think you can compare our situation to Everton & Man City. They have not been taken over. They do not have money they didn't have last year. There are no promises from their board that there's a new direction afoot. In that sense the only club we can be compared to in some way is West Ham. And they've been doing far more media brain-farting than we have. So I suppose in that way MON feels obliged more than most premiership managers to justify himself every few days and to reassure people that he is doing his best.

the mention of pearce talking about beckham cracked me up...

all well and good coming out with statements about wanthing beckham, but he didnt get him did he...

so it was all hot air...

did you have enough of that under ellis?!?

I have just seen Rafa Benitez after 2 awful results stand his ground and suggest he'll be involved in some deals soon and he is happy with the backing his board keep giving him.

"My scouting department has done an excellent job but sometimes we go too slowly as a club to make signings we need. We need to work quickly. And when we do, there is not a lot of money. Arsenal spent £4m on Abou Diaby, £4m on Denilson, £8m on Theo Walcott and Julio Baptista is a £22m player

Benítez' has spent almost £78m in 30 months - more than every other club bar Chelsea and Man U over the same period, btw.

Hmmm...

I have heard almost no-one say much materially different to MO'N.

As you say, Pearce has said he's no money so can't get anyone. Chelsea have said No signings, and Arsenal too. Rafa is whingeing that it's all not fair, Even rent a quote's like Redknapp and Allardyce have kept largely stum.

There haven't been many signings, and none of note.

I Can't find anything MO'N has done or said to take issue with on transfers at all.

Seems like he's telling it how it is, which is how I like it. I don't want words and then no action.

Great interview in my book simply because he has called the transfer window foolish.

It is and I would imagine the majority of football supporters don't want it. So well done Martin. He was also spot on about the 4 minutes at Old Trafford. Give the guy a break.

Guys, there is no point reasoning with some people. They have their own agenda and that is it. If you ignore them they will eventually get bored and go away.

FWIW, I completely agree with you BOF and PP.

Agreed.

He's said he don't mind paying a little over the odds if the player is very good but he refuses to be held to ransom. I think that's fair enough and I don't mind waiting until the summer when the prices will be more realistic for these players. But until then we still need some decent players coming in to bolster our threadbare squad. These could be loan signings, transfer listed, want away or veteran players. There are players about in that position who could ensure our form improves.

I don't think you can compare our situation to Everton & Man City. They have not been taken over. They do not have money they didn't have last year. There are no promises from their board that there's a new direction afoot. In that sense the only club we can be compared to in some way is West Ham. And they've been doing far more media brain-farting than we have. So I suppose in that way MON feels obliged more than most premiership managers to justify himself every few days and to reassure people that he is doing his best.

Hang on I was doing nothing of the sort BOF.

I was comparing the way O'Neill is bitching about the transfer window, complaining about how he's getting gazumped and generally having a whinge in comparison to other Premiership managers who aren't, managers who may have more reason to whinge not having any money and are giving a more upbeat message.

Its got sweet fa to do with a comparison of how great or not each club is or how their board is building a new hotel or paying for coaches to away matches

I'm not looking for O'Neill to fail either, I keep saying I see no reason even though O'Neill obviously does, why he won't get some decent players.

I hear all the excuses for him, but the fact remains we have this new wonder regime, this superb manager and all I'm hearing now is excuses and in my view, nothing more, my view some of them are pathetic.

I repeat, where has the happy smiling, joking Martin with the little quip gone, why is he being gazumped, can he not negotiate can he not do what other managers have/are.

Can people on here stop thinking I have a vendetta against him I don't, but I don't see him or Lerenr as this God like figure who can do no wrong, sorry all.

Â