Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

I still don't get why Lambert signed him to not play him as a DM. He doesn't have much ability on the ball, so I don't see the point of playing him higher up the pitch or wider in the midfield three.

Trouble is I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable with him sitting in front of the defence. He's that clueless with the ball at his feet I'd be worried about him making the odd clanger and putting the opposition in on goal.

That's true but when you consider we have a decent footballer at DM and it isn't actually making much difference to the football played anyway, then I'd go with industry over football for now sadly.

I still don't get why Lambert signed him to not play him as a DM. He doesn't have much ability on the ball, so I don't see the point of playing him higher up the pitch or wider in the midfield three.

Trouble is I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable with him sitting in front of the defence. He's that clueless with the ball at his feet I'd be worried about him making the odd clanger and putting the opposition in on goal.
That's true but when you consider we have a decent footballer at DM and it isn't actually making much difference to the football played anyway, then I'd go with industry over football for now sadly.
I'd leave Sylla (and possibly Westwood) on the bench. If Delph's fit I'd maybe look at playing a 4-2-3-1 with Delph and KEA as the 2, Lowton RM, Tonev LM (assuming everyone else still out) and play Helenius AM (worth a proper look) behind Benteke.

In the short-term, his industry and bite in midfield is the best we have to do that role within the current system. In the long-term, Lambert should really be looking for a strong, combative DM who is good on the ball.

IMO we stayed up despite Lambert's team selection last season. Benteke and Agbonlahor's goals kept us up. Sylla and Bowery playing didn't.

What a bizarre thing to say.

Weren't Benteke and Gabby part of his selection too? And Sylla was rightly getting a lot of praise on this site for his energy and all round good performances.

IMO we stayed up despite Lambert's team selection last season. Benteke and Agbonlahor's goals kept us up. Sylla and Bowery playing didn't.

Weren't Benteke and Gabby part of his selection too? And Sylla was rightly getting a lot of praise on this site for his energy and all round good performances.

Yes he has energy, work rate etc. So does Weimann. I wouldn't pick either of them. And I wouldn't have in the last few months of last season either. Or Bowery. It's possible to win a football match without picking the right team. We could put Bowery up front against Cardiff instead of Benteke and win (unlikely). It wouldn't make it the right selection though.

He is what he is. Decent doing some of the dirty work in terms of pressing, tackling and providing some physicality. On the flipside, he is pretty limited on the ball.

When you consider how lightweight our midfield were before we signed him, he was always likely to have some form of impact but his on the ball capability will ensure he is very unlikely to become anything more then an average Premier League player.

Edited by Isa

I would just say that as its his first full game for a while we should cut him some slack. Its hard to come into a side and perform at your best. he needs a few games and can we give him that. Either him or KEA when Delph comes back. 

Yes he has energy, work rate etc. So does Weimann. I wouldn't pick either of them. And I wouldn't have in the last few months of last season either. Or Bowery. It's possible to win a football match without picking the right team. We could put Bowery up front against Cardiff instead of Benteke and win (unlikely). It wouldn't make it the right selection though.

I think you better realise the squad isn't blessed with high skilled, high quality players, it's about picking a balanced team and Sylla is needed in our first 11.

Sylla was pretty good last season, he did have some flaws but it looked very promising. Still feel he can be key if we had our players performing and less injuries.Do note that our "wingers" have been a letdown so far. Gabby started excellent but started fading quick as usual,

Â