Players We Can Get

limpid

by kingrollo

kingrollo muses possible signings.

I think there is only Drogba & Ronaldo that we haven't been linked with! But what do we actually know.

Considered Options:

[*:61b967c34f]Martin O'Neill has heavily hinted that he wants players with experience of the premiership.
    [*:61b967c34f]He wants players with pace.
    [*:61b967c34f]He has previously shown a liking for a big man up front - even if this guy isn't a prolific goal scorer.
    [*:61b967c34f]His liking for players he knows - suggests that he is interested in the character of players, or he hasn't yet got a good scouting network established after a while out of the game. I am bit undecided on this one.

Reading the forums there isn't a position that doesn't need strengthening; from Goalkeeper to centre forward - in every position it seems we have no position we are entirely happy with.

I think we are going to find out what sort of team O'Neill is going to build at Villa. In my opinion there are 3 routes to go down:

[*:61b967c34f]We go for big names, expensive players - not Chelsea style - but Say Craig Bellamy, Robbie Keane, Defoe. The problem is we aren’t in Europe and history has shown that it is difficult to attract players until we are in Europe even in the close season.
    [*:61b967c34f]We assemble a squad a quality players regardless of position when quality becomes available. For example most people probably think Sorenson is an OK keeper - but if better goalie became available we should go for him.
    [*:61b967c34f]Martin O'Neill does what does he knows and assembles a Leicester type side. Tough tackling with few stars, but very difficult to beat. Still lacking against the very big guns. This I feel is most likely option at least in the short term.

So who are the names then? I have no doubt in my mind that Craig Bellamy would Martin O'Neill's first choice up front but that seems highly unlikely. Defoe would be a major surprise, I even think Robbie Keane is highly unlikely.

Darren Bent would appear gettable, but Charlton would have little to gain by selling him now unless they can be convinced with a swap involving Baros (remember Pardew was keen on Baros before).

So availability seems to be key, which brings us to the likes of James Beattie at Everton. He's not for sale officially, but rumours of Everton eyeing Nugent from Preston could make him surplus to requirements. Of course Villa could go for Nugent, but he lacks the premiership experience that O'Neill seeks. One who would be available is Harewood at West Ham; he's not a great goalscorer and West Ham fans weren't convinced when he was playing in the Championship. But he fits the MON style of play and I feel would be an improvement on what we have.

My tip is that it will be one of Beattie, Harewood, Nugent in that order of probability.

For an outside punt; what about Andy Cole, or even Emille Heskey (with six premier goals this season).

The other position which I sense MON is ill at ease with is centre back. Ridgewell has recently been left out in favour of Cahill and I understand Ridgewell had one or two fraught moments against Chelsea tonight. Curtis Davies is my strong tip to join us, I believe that Mowbray at Albion wants to build his own team, and the sale of Davies would give him funds to do that.

Midfield: Barry Fergusson has been suggested, however there seems to be fog of politics up north and Fergusson and his family didn't settle south of the border. With the manager under scrutiny, I feel Fergusson may decide to tough it out at Rangers.

Steve Sidwell from reading fits the bill for me. I understand he doesn’t have long on his contract either. Hendrie may go the other way in a swap deal.

Others: Well Alan Smith on loan, he could do a job for us. Bardsley from Man Utd would appear to lack the required premiership experience. Craig Gordon from Hearts could be an outside bet to solve our goalkeeping crisis.

Either way I expect some positive news very soon!!

I think Finnan is gettable, assuming Liverpool sign Lucas Neill. Upson wants out and is left footed, so can play along side Ollie. Barton's 5.5m quid buy-out clause is within our budget. No forwards leap out at being available, with the possible exception of Tevez, although I would love Bent.

An interesting analysis, but I guess all fans have their opinions.

Certainly we need someone who can create problems for opposition defences and score some goals, something we are sadly lacking, but I don't see Beattie as the answer as apparantly Moyes doesn't. I'm sure Everton would be really pleased to recoup some of the £6m they paid. As for Cole or Heskey, no thanks.

My preference would be Nugent, providing he was sensibly priced.

I think we will sign Maloney from Celtic who is out of contract in the summer and Celtic will probably take a reasonable bid rather than let him leave for nothing in the summer.

Davies would be a good shout and I would take Smith on loan with an option of making the deal permanent.

Beattie can go take a long run off a short pier, he snubbed the Villa and went on to play like a donkey .......ha ha

Nugent sounds great to me if we can give him the time to settle. What about Pederson?? when he played up front for Bolton he showed strenght, balance and a good finisher, he is a great team player and lets be honest, with Baros and Angel up front we could do with a player like him. I think the youngsters like Moore and Gabby would get far more support and come on better as players if they had experience like his around them. I keep hearing about Klose comin to the Villa!!! yes please :lol: sign him tomorrow...... no now!!!!!!

In the midfield i would love to see SWP, I don't care what people say about this lad, he is top of my list along with Milner who should never have been aloud to return to Newcastle. As far as I know Sidwell has still not signed a new contract and if thats the case he would be a good playmaker and link up man. Or what about Ashley Young?? we should get him now before everyone fight's over him when Watford go down.

Lets just hope we buy a few players that show the Fans and all others in football that Villa are buying for a succesful future and not just to stay in the Premiership and collect a cheque at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

DOes anyone else think that Lucas Neil is a bargain?

I am completely shocked at the lack of interest in him being as he is a player with a good pass and brilliant determination?

Plus i am pretty sure that boy can tackle!

I am shocked to be honest we are not after him! Anyone else agree or think he is over-rated?

DOes anyone else think that Lucas Neil is a bargain?

I am completely shocked at the lack of interest in him being as he is a player with a good pass and brilliant determination?

Plus i am pretty sure that boy can tackle!

I am shocked to be honest we are not after him! Anyone else agree or think he is over-rated?

I agree Lucas Neill is a gutsy player.

Captains the Australian national side.

Experienced but not too old at 28 years.

Has a cool head and yes a great tackler.

He's going to West Ham for 2mill?

Forget them, we need him.

I am biased as an Aussie but I think Lucas Neill is a gun. He is a very dogged defender and was by far our best player in the world cup IMO. It was reported over here that he had SIGNED with west sham, and I was disgusted frankly. He is much better than them. Definitely worth more than 2 mil if thats what they are paying for him!

Â