2014 Tour de France to start near Drat’s back garden

PauloBarnesi

http://www.cyclingne...ance-2014-start

Tour returns to United Kingdom for first time since 2007

The 2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire, England, race organizers ASO announced on Friday.

It will be the first time that the Tour has started in the United Kingdom since 2007, and its first visit to Yorkshire.

Other cities in the running to host the Grand Depart were Edinburgh, Scotland, and Florence, Italy.

Yorkshire will host the first two days racing on the 5th and 6th July before the Tour heads south for a third stage in southern England, with a finish in London. Leeds will be the host city of the Grand Depart and will hold a festival of cycling and the arts to coincide with the arrival of the Tour. Full details of the stages will be revealed at a joint news conference in Leeds and Paris on 17 January.

Christian Prudhomme, Tour de France Director visited Yorkshire several times and has seen how cycling has grown since the Tour started in London.

“Since the resounding success of the Grand Départ in London in 2007, we were very keen to return to the United Kingdom. Bradley Wiggins’ historical victory last July and the enormous crowds that followed the cycling events in the streets of London during the Olympic Games encouraged us to go back earlier than we had initially planned," he said in a statement issued by the Yorkshire organisers.

"Yorkshire is a region of outstanding beauty, with breathtaking landscapes whose terrains offer both sprinters and attackers the opportunity to express themselves. We have encountered a phenomenal desire from the Yorkshire team to welcome the Tour de France and have no doubt that passion and support will be particularly evident for the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2014.”

Yorkshire fought hard to secure the Tour de France Grand Depart, publicizing their bid in Britain and France during this year's race and then outbidding their rivals with a financial offer close to four million pounds.

Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, the agency behind the county’s bid, said: "Today is a proud day for everyone involved in the bid and the county as a whole. We are honoured that the race organisers, the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), have selected Yorkshire to be the host location of the 2014 Grand Départ."

Yorkshire is one of the traditional centres of cycling in Britain. Eight-time Tour de France stage winner Barry Hoban is from Wakefield, while Malcolm Elliot is from Sheffield. Current Yorkshire-born pro riders include Ben Swift (Team Sky), Russell Downing (NetApp-Endura) and track Olympian Ed Clancy.

Leeds hosted the Leeds International Classic one-day race between 1994 and 1996, which was part of the UCI World Cup series. Max Sciandri won the race in 1995

Is this not nearer The Moon Man?

Damn right it is.

But it brings out the curmudgeon in me.

I have no objection to a major cycle race in the area. But the Tour de France should be staged in France. Either that or rename it the Tour of Europe or some such.

• Like 1

Damn right it is.

But it brings out the curmudgeon in me.

I have no objection to a major cycle race in the area. But the Tour de France should be staged in France. Either that or rename it the Tour of Europe or some such.

Indeed. The tour de france actually ventures into a number of countries. Should be renamed the tour of Europe!

3 stages in the UK, too. That's more than a brief dip. That's an 8th (or so) of the race

Indeed. The tour de france actually ventures into a number of countries. Should be renamed the tour of Europe!

3 stages in the UK, too. That's more than a brief dip. That's an 8th (or so) of the race

As it's the Tour De France and they are running some in the UK, maybe run it past Tony's house and make it a slow section just so he can embrace the Gallic way of life :-)
  • Like 3

As it's the Tour De France and they are running some in the UK, maybe run it past Tony's house and make it a slow section just so he can embrace the Gallic way of life :-)

I'm ready for them french-stereotype.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Giro to start in Belfast (my back garden) in 2014 - heads to Dublin (Pat McQuaid's son's back garden coincidentally) on stage one.

My favourite race - should be fun!

I'm sure Contador, Hesjedal, Wiggo et al will be delighted about this when they see the current news.

The 2014 Tour de France will feature a stage that visits the London 2012 Olympic Park and ends on the Mall after two opening stages in Yorkshire.

Leeds hosts the Grand Depart on 5 July, with the stage taking in the Yorkshire Dales before finishing in Harrogate.

Stage two of the 101st Tour starts in York and passes through Keighley and Huddersfield on the way to Sheffield.

The race last visited the UK in 2007, when London hosted the prologue and the opening stage.

"Since the resounding success of the Grand Depart in London in 2007, we were very keen to return to the United Kingdom," said Tour director Christian Prudhomme.

Britain boasts the reigning Tour de France champion, with Team Sky rider Sir Bradley Wiggins the country's first man to win the event last July.

Prudhomme added: "Bradley Wiggins' historical victory last July and the enormous crowds that followed the cycling events in the streets of London during the Olympic Games encouraged us to go back earlier than we had initially planned.

"Yorkshire is a region of outstanding beauty, with breathtaking landscapes whose terrains offer both sprinters and attackers the opportunity to express themselves."

Stage one - Saturday, 5 July

Leeds - Harewood - Otley - Ilkley - Skipton - Kettlewell - Aysgarth - Hawes - Reeth - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate

Stage two - Sunday, 6 July

York - Knaresborough - Silsden - Keighley - Haworth - Hebden Bridge - Elland - Huddersfield - Holmfirth - Sheffield

Stage three - Monday, 7 July

Cambridge - Epping Forest - the Olympic Park - the Mall

...more on link

french stuff happening in yorkshire

it'll be like some sort of perfect storm of attitude

I've already heard numerous northern types twattering on about how the frenchies won't be used to the conditions, for **** sake, it's a bit of countryside and it's what they do for a living. They don't random select a bunch of parisian commuters.

• Like 1

Â