Playstation 4

hogso

One of the best features when Sony were demonstrating the PS4 this time last year was that you could watch what your friends were playing, and then jump in with them and play with them instantly. What's happened to this? A year on and it seems to have been forgotten about. 

One of the best features when Sony were demonstrating the PS4 this time last year was that you could watch what your friends were playing, and then jump in with them and play with them instantly. What's happened to this? A year on and it seems to have been forgotten about.

That was never going to be out on release. They're still purchasing the company which will enable ps4 users to do it.

Probably 18 months away.

That was never going to be out on release. They're still purchasing the company which will enable ps4 users to do it.

Probably 18 months away.

I know it weren't ready at launch, but it has been a year. Shame, it will be a really good feature when it's out!

• Like 1

Firmware 2.0 has gone live.   I've now got a hot pink theme (yes, that's what I get for letting my kids choose...) and I'm waiting on the YouTube app which I understand will be released tomorrow in Europe when the store updates. It can be got now if you want to make a Japanese account. I can't be arsed.    Standby mode has changed, internet connectivity while in standby defaults to off so you might want to change that. 

• Like 1

Firmware 2.0 has gone live.   I've now got a hot pink theme (yes, that's what I get for letting my kids choose...) and I'm waiting on the YouTube app which I understand will be released tomorrow in Europe when the store updates. It can be got now if you want to make a Japanese account. I can't be arsed.    Standby mode has changed, internet connectivity while in standby defaults to off so you might want to change that. 

Cheers.

Does that mean, by default, your DLC's etc won't automatically download when your ps4 is in standby mode?

If so, I'd like to turn that back on.

Yea, being a battlefield 4 premium member, the dlcs are released with patches, so whenever there's a patch, they download the maps with it. Then when you log into battlefield, the premium key is then used as a "pass", to play the maps.

I've just realised my mistake, sorry guys :)

Just ordered one of these bad boys for free via a rewards points program so looking forward to giving it a try in 4 weeks or so when it arrives. Last of Us will be my first game (I never got round to it on the PS3), and I'll be getting the boy a copy of FIFA 15 for Christmas.

The only possible issue for me will be the lack of support for video via streaming or USB input. The PS3 with a portable HDD is currently my media centre of choice. Not sure what I will do - possibly look at getting a chromecast and streaming from the PC; failing that I guess I'll need to fork out for a media player.

Seems utterly ridiculous to omit this sort of functionality - and I understand it's still not added in the latest firmware.  

Yea it's alright.

Game sharing is now in. 

The menu's seem quicker, the UI has been improved (not aesthetically), but it's more ergonomic, improvements to talking to your ps4 etc.

Uploading to Youtube is now easy.

It's all the same, with a few sensible improvements.

All the key features are discussed here;

Gamespot

On Tuesday, October 28, Sony will implement sweeping changes to the PlayStation 4 operating system. Codenamed "Masamune," the console update adds numerous new features, from Share Play to a music player to YouTube integration.

GameSpot was invited to PlayStation's UK headquarters to watch an hour-long demonstration of the technology, as well as ask questions on each aspect of the new firmware. Here are the key 26 takeaway facts from the event.

Share Play

1) How it Works

Share Play is an extraordinarily generous feature that allows friends who have PS4s to share their games across the internet. The process is somewhat straightforward though requires robust connection speeds and PlayStation Plus. Here's how it works:

During any game, players can press the Share Button and an additional option, called "Share Play," appears in the menu. Once the option is selected, a Party is automatically created, and players then are asked which one friend they'd like to add to it.

Once a friend is selected, a notification will appear on their PS4. After they accept the request, they are designated as a 'guest' and their system will link to the host's.

By default the guest is just watching a live stream of what the host is playing. However, at any point the host can go to the Party menu and select "Give Controller to Guest". By doing so, the live footage being streamed to the guest can now be controlled too.

So lemme get this straight (that link is blocked for me)

If my mate has FIFA, and I don't. We could do this share play thing and still play each other online?
That's pretty cool!

Are there any restrictions on it? Like length of time or number of times you can play for?

So lemme get this straight (that link is blocked for me)

If my mate has FIFA, and I don't. We could do this share play thing and still play each other online?

That's pretty cool!

Are there any restrictions on it? Like length of time or number of times you can play for?

You can play for 1 hour, then it will cut out and take you to the PS store to give you the option to buy it.

HOWEVER! you can keep going back into the game as many times as you like, so if you were playing Co-Op Borderlands for example, your friend who owns the game, shares with you for an hour, you're both playing, then it cuts out, takes you to the PS store, you quickly come out of it and he can send you another invite to play for another hour immediately.

I think, in balance, it's incredibly generous of PS to let us do it.  There are a few caveats however;

The quality of gameplay/graphics/responsiveness is completely down to your internet, your bandwidth, supplier and how far apart the ps4's are, general rule of thumb is 1080p games will be a max of 720p.

Also, I'm not sure about playing each other online, essentially you'll be playing on his system, like you're sitting in the room with him, so you can play quick-games on fifa 15, but it won't be STEVO vs LAPAL_FAN in an online game - if you get what I'm saying.

It's like you've just picked up a controller in my front room and played me.

(I think!)

Â