Friedel or Lloris?

freddybouma123

Friedel or Lloris  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

Toughness of the English league? In what way is it tough for a goalkeeper? They are afforded so much protection that the physical aspects of the game which some foreign players cannot adapt to simply do not apply.

I wouldn't say they have to get used to the physicality of it not in the same way an outfield player does.. but they may well have to get used to the different style. Look at Gomes when he first came to England, he didn't know what a cross was. Not entirely sure how the French League is as I haven't watched it for years, but Spanish and Dutch leagues tend to be more narrow than the Premiership, and dealing with crosses is not seen as important as shot blocking and one-on-ones.

Toughness of the English league? In what way is it tough for a goalkeeper? They are afforded so much protection that the physical aspects of the game which some foreign players cannot adapt to simply do not apply.

I doubt he be used to long punts into the box or long throws etc. that he would get at Stoke for example

I doubt he be used to long punts into the box or long throws etc. that he would get at Stoke for example

As soon as a Stoke player jumps up with the keeper it seems to be a freekick now though.

Stoke's "punt it into the box" tactic seems to be most effectively stopped by the goalkeeper jumping into the attacker and falling over, instead of trying to actually punch or catch the ball now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd still rather have him here in the second year of the two year extension he asked for than having Shay Given sit on the bench collecting £50k a week until the summer of 2016.

I dont remember him wanting a 2 year deal, from what i remember houllier kept saying he would sort the contracts out in the summer due to us being in a relegation battle and not knowing what league we would be playing in, then friedel signed for spurs and said we had a poisonous dressing room.

Oddly I remember it differently, we offered him a one year deal which he rejected because he wanted two years (he was in a bit of financial difficulty over his soccer academy in the USA or something) so he left us and signed a two year deal at Spurs. I cant see any evidence of him saying we had a poisonous dressing room, do you have a link to the quote?

Somehow I don't see Friedel wanting to sit on our bench. I'm very happy with Guzan to be honest he's an excellent keeper, I just hope we can get shot of Given this window. Effectively taking over his City contract was insane, even though he was pivotal in keeping us up last season.

Oh, I'm happy with Guzan too. I have just never rated Shay Given, ever, and I think signing him was one of the biggest mistakes we have made in an era which has been littered with mistakes.

I'm sure you can find six or seven years of me slagging Given off if you go through my post history but my criticisms remain the same. He is a player who looks great on YouTube or MotD highlight reels because he is a world class shot stopper, but his all round game is poor and any defence he has ever played behind always looks nervous and disorganised. I maintain he is one of the reasons why we conceded so many goals from set pieces last season because he doesnt come off of his line for anything, he doesnt own his penalty area and he certainly doesnt intimidate opposition players who attack the ball. He is a reaction based keeper who's reactions seem to be going with age.

And we still owe him four years salary.

I think you're right on Given, I still maintain some of his saves kept us up but despite being a great shot stopper he's your 'stay on the line' type who cannot really command his area, poor from set pieces, similar to Friedel IMO.

In Guzan we have a pretty complete keeper, I'm astonished at how he has improved.

I still think, at the time, letting Friedel go and getting Given in wasn't a bad decision.

In retrospect, sure it looks a bit daft now.

But I think a lot of us assumed Friedel couldn't keep going for another 2 years and, given his age, that was a pretty sensible assumption.

Given's an excellent keeper. He seems to have dropped in form recently but when we bought him he was still a good keeper.

WIth the ability to look back it's a poor decision, we should have just given Friedel his 2 year contract. But I think a lot of managers would have done the same thing.

Â