What shift would you prefer to work?

bob

What would you prefer to work?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to work?

• 7-3
    • 12-8

I currently work 12-8. I have the option of switching to 7-3.

A lot of people say "12-8 takes up your whole day", but I like it. I do do things in the morning (like go to the gym, boring house maintenance stuff, shopping etc). I live in London so its nice to do things when its quiet in the morning. The commute is also so much better than at rush hour - I travel for nearly an hour. Its good never needing an alarm to wake me and I can always lie in.

Getting home at 9pm sucks though obviously.

7-3, I'm not sure about getting up before 6am every day, but finishing at 3 would be great, and enable me to continue doing stuff when its not so busy after work. I would have a little more time with my girfriend. Friday nights would be better, but Monday mornings worse.

Pay and workload would be the same either shift.

So, I put it to you, what would you prefer to work, and why please?

Nights are horrible. Luckily I don't do them anymore, but kin 'ell, when I did they used to mess me up for weeks.

Earlies for me, as there is a lot you can do in the evenings, most people you know will work during the day so you can still go out in the evenings, it just means getting to bed a little earlier.

Im just about to start nights for the first time on monday, have a job on a production line making parks for landrover. Have been doing 6 - 2 this week and i've been so nackered! Nights is going to really mess me about!

I really cannot wait until i'm back at university!

I used to work 3-11pm, the lie in was nice, but I found it hard to enjoy my free time before work, as I knew I was going to work later on. Saved quite a bit of money though, as obviously it's quite hard to do much socially working these hours.

Personally, I think it's better to get work over with, and then you can enjoy the rest of the day in whatever way takes your fancy.

7-3 gets my vote

i do 2 shifts, 6-1.30 and 1.20-8.50. i love the early shift, no probs getting up then home for 1.40, can pick the kids up and spend all evening with them. on the afternoon shift, i take them to school then don't see them untill in the morning !!!....plus i have trouble making midweek games but on earlies next week so no problem there.......early shifts for me every time.

i work 8am-4.30/5.00 pm, time goes pretty quick cus im always working and theres no clock to look at cus im always laying bricks.

worst job i ever had was about a year ago when i was struggling to find work and i signed up for an agency and they sent me to a factory about 2 minutes walk away from where i live, and it was the most depressing job in the world, 9 hours a day standing in the same spot on a hand operated press bending a small peice of metal, working 8-5

Deffo 12-8 for me. Like you said you can get so much done in the mornings before work. Traffic is much lighter at start & finish time. Still time for a bevvie after work & you don't have to worry about sleeping in. Woud'nt fancy doing the Friday though

Wonderful to hear your opinions, as always!

Well, I'm in at 7 today so I can get to the game tonight. Did not enjoy waking at 5:30! Its been a while since I got left the house in pitch black darkness, very depressing. I do like the daylight and although the doctor says its better for you getting up early, I prefer it being light when I need to get up and leave. Its nice to have a change but I don't think I would be happy doing it permanently.

So, in conclusion, I'm sticking with 12-8 (an unpopular choice it would seem). I can always swap if necessary.

I happen to DO a 7-3. It's great, but around Thursday the 6am start really catches up on you. Just means a lie-on on Saturday to re-charge. Does make 'going out' on school nights a bit dangerous too though cuz either a) I wont get out of bed at 6am or b ) I'll be too pissed to drive to work.

Â