Ratings and reactions: Villa 1-1 Baggies

bickster

my first villa experience.. was awesome.. we backed them all throughout.. delph was poor.. albrighton started well but faded badly.. Karim was missing a bit. Holman had a great game.. my MOM.. thought Nzogbia and Bannan with Bent changed the game.. looked sharper. overall a fantastic day with some good thai food near the bullring to top it off! Up the Villa!

A good game, IMO. Not great, but good. We could've won, but we could've lost too. We looked a bit lost the first 10-15 minutes but after that we dominated the first half. Just need to create ore chances.

Many have criticised the defence, but Guzan made two saves and let one goal in. And one of the saves came from a cross that turned into a shot. Maybe the player meant it, but it's not easy to prevent. And to blame Vlaar for the goal is strange, IMO. He just couldn't reach the ball enough to steer it away from Long. Lowtons position again failed us. But that's something he can learn and he has qualities that can make him a good player.

Benteke was poor for most of the game, but I still think he can turn out to be a good player for us. The first thing he must learn is that he won't have the time on the ball as he had in the belgian league.

Gabby motm for me, but tbh I could've given that to Holman too who's fast becoming a favourite of mine.

Bennet had a solid game. First time I've seen him play a whole game and he looked good.

8 games into the season with a whole new team and it's already starting to look good. Can we keep on progressing like this there will be no problems this season. Even Zog looked decent, I think.

A bit of perspective, these games are always tight even when we had MON we only beat them by the odd goal. They are a well organised unit and Clarke hasn't had to do a lot with the team. If you look at their side how many have played in this derby before? A good 8 of them have, in our side we had a whole new backline, we played well in the first half and we should have finished our chances. I've always thought that we will come on stronger in the second half of the season. As for Liam the Baggies fan, AVFC sang we hate Swansea so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick. The way Albion celebrated was if they'd won the League. Honestly don't know what you'll do when you actually win something important. Honestly think going to Spurs now will be a very tough game, but it would not surprise me if we get something at WHL.

Holman is going to be one of those Milner-esque players who performs above average every single week isnt he?

During that one season, Milner was in the running for MOTM in virtually every single game that he played in, and it's been a similar story with Holman so far.

We need to improve infront of goal, 20 odd shots and only a handful on target.

G.Neville was correct on his analysis of the goal, stating that Vlaar stepped out to play offside like a good defender should, but the problem is this defence doesnt have that level of experience of playing together to be playing these clever movements yet so this left us exposed.

As per the last couple seasons we eed to work on our corners, shold have created more from the 10 we were awarded. Same goes for free-kicks in their half too.

Lambert made the correct subs but thought he would have brought them on 5-10mins earlier. Also no way Albrighton should have started, he is barely match fit. Not sold on Benteke either, i reckon he'll turn out to be quick a clumsy player.

Overall not worried about out league position as i think we'll continue to get stronger and keep picking up points here and there along the way. Also think that our away form may turn out to be better than our home this year.

UTV!

As for Liam the Baggies fan, AVFC sang we hate Swansea so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick. The way Albion celebrated was if they'd won the League. Honestly don't know what you'll do when you actually win something important. .

Well singing we hate Swansea is quite frankly childish if you don't mind me saying. And what's the problem with celebrating a goal and singing afterwards? I could have said the same when Villa scored and a chunk of the North Stand came charging towards us.

Actions of both fans was entirely similar inside the ground.

As for Liam the Baggies fan, AVFC sang we hate Swansea so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick. The way Albion celebrated was if they'd won the League. Honestly don't know what you'll do when you actually win something important. .

Well singing we hate Swansea is quite frankly childish if you don't mind me saying. And what's the problem with celebrating a goal and singing afterwards? I could have said the same when Villa scored and a chunk of the North Stand came charging towards us.

A Baggie doesn't seem to get the point, you would love us to hate you and it gets your goat that we couldn't give a **** about you or your team. Yes your a better team, I see no-one actually debating that but a bigger club do me a favour. Also calling us childish when you sing veeela veeela like a bunch of seals. Your time is up here see you in Jan.

Good day yesterday.

Lots of positives in terms of trying to play decent football, retaining possession and good honest effort from all involved.

Believe this is a team we fans can really get behind. No superstars and we are going to watch them develop in front of our eyes. It’s basically a brand new squad of players.

Nice to see Bent scoring in consecutive games. Being benched really lit a fire under his ass!

Our midfield faded a bit in the second half. Benteke should of scored. Our defence was at fault for their goal but these things will all improve.

I saw enough to be looking forward to our next game.

Liam, are you disappointed that you couldn't beat us. Aren't you the "Pride Of The Midlands" ? I think thats what you lot were singing anyway. See you at Smethwick later in the year.

agree with villa_shere on the timing of the subs. It seems Lambert anticipated WBA having much more of the ball than they did, and put out a pacier counter-attacking lineup with Alby and Holman, Benteke/Gabby both holding up the ball and running channels, with two more holding midfielders in Delph and KEA.

When it became obvious that we were possessing the ball, neither Delph nor KEA went forward with it (I thought Delph should have taken more initiative and gone forward - KEA had few forward outlets when in possession and looked poorer for it). I think the subs were spot on, Bannan and Zog with more creativity, and Bent playing on the last shoulder as more play was around the WBA goal, just should have come somewhat earlier.

Good corners and crosses by Alby, not enough Claret and Blue getting to it, but he seems to struggle when we have a lot of the ball and the defense is more compressed not allowing him to get at the fullback with any sort of pace.

Vlaar unlucky for the goal. He had Long well marked despite having to come from behind after stepping up attempting the trap, just didn't clear properly. 9/10 times he clears that without any trouble. Would feel worse if he was actually caught out for pace, but he wasn't.

We really missed Ireland today. As good as Bannan played, I still think Ireland has the quality in a possession game like this to show for the ball in an advanced position, and try passes that will trouble defenses.

Liam, are you disappointed that you couldn't beat us. Aren't you the "Pride Of The Midlands" ? I think thats what you lot were singing anyway. See you at Smethwick later in the year.

Disappointed we couldn't hold on, of course. A point away from home is still good in this division, equally you should be disappointed you couldn't win one of your home matches.

A Baggie doesn't seem to get the point, you would love us to hate you and it gets your goat that we couldn't give a **** about you or your team. Yes your a better team, I see no-one actually debating that but a bigger club do me a favour. Also calling us childish when you sing veeela veeela like a bunch of seals. Your time is up here see you in Jan.

Where have I suggested or any of our fans suggested that we're a big club? Again, thank you for taking the time to tell me you couldn't give a **** about us or our team. You also fail to spot the irony behind that veela veela chant considering your nickname amongst our supporters is the Seals..

Again, this "you don't care about us" wish is continuously played doesn't wash with me. Not denying, that some folk in the Birmingham and it's surroundings suburbs might not see us a Derby as they've been brought up alongside Blues fans but there are Villa fans which were brought up amongst Albion fans in Cradley, Halesowen, Blackheath and will share a hatred towards the Albion. The actions of your supporters (not all of them) is laughable really, but then again, you "don't care". Apparently.

See you in Jan :wink:

Where have I suggested or any of our fans suggested that we're a big club? Again, thank you for taking the time to tell me you couldn't give a **** about us or our team. You also fail to spot the irony behind that veela veela chant considering your nickname amongst our supporters is the Seals..

Again, this "you don't care about us" wish is continuously played doesn't wash with me. Not denying, that some folk in the Birmingham and it's surroundings suburbs might not see us a Derby as they've been brought up alongside Blues fans but there are Villa fans which were brought up amongst Albion fans in Cradley, Halesowen, Blackheath and will share a hatred towards the Albion. The actions of your supporters (not all of them) is laughable really, but then again, you "don't care". Apparently.

Yawn.

What is the point in this kind of thing? What would you like to come of it? Do you want someone to come out and say how much they hate the baggies?

If you're going to guest on an opposition forum then you should atleast make an attempt to ignore the (inevitable) inflammatory remarks and give a better account of your football club's supporters.

Don't get the negativity. It was a decent performance at the beginning and towards the end and were it not for poor finishing we would've won that. Also showed plenty of fight and spirit to come back from a goal behind.

Agreed. I gave out a lot of sixes but it was one of those "greater than the sum" team efforts. The only really lacking area was obviously the front third, but that sort of performance is going to pick up points more often than not.

Though we were very poor. We struggled to create anything of note and really never looked like scoring until Bent came on for Benteke. Benteke is very quickly looking like a very poor buy along with Lambert's other purchases.

Yet another manager and another 17m spent and we still don't have a midfielder in our team who can create anything.

On the plus side plenty of effort to get a point but effort alone won't keep us up this season!

I hope (for my own sanity) that this is sarcasm/a joke.

Lowton - Looked solid so far

KEA - 2 bad games does make him a disaster

Bennett - Showing some promising signs

Benteke - Showing glimpses of being a good player, still a bit rough around the edges, but so are most 21 year old strikers!!

Westwood/Bowery - Not seen enough yet to judge..but are young and ones for the future.

Guzan - Decision to re-sign after we allowed his contract to expire has been vindicated.

Vlaar - Solid, one bad game, besides that looks very promising.

We have a load of players who are playing far better than they were 12 months ago. The overall style of play of the team is significantly better, our players are showing massive amounts of heart and desire.

If some fans are at all miffed at the moment..well sod them, I wish they supported someone else.

Neither sarcasm or a joke.

I do not see the significant improvement you speak of. Our results have been poor against some of the lesser sides in the Premiership and against WBA we struggled again to create anything of note. There is still a dearth of quality throughout our team even after again spending decent money in the last window. We simply have too many average players and because of that we are going to continue to struggle in the bottom half for the rest of the season.

Yes, I might start a 'View from the opposition' thread on westbrom.com, insult you all and act surprised when you get pissed off.

I'm not surprised, nor peed off. I've came here, given my thoughts on you & ourselves, might have annoyed some of you, reacted to yesterdays action, and now defending myself against an earlier claim.

Who have I insulted on this forum?

Yawn.

What is the point in this kind of thing? What would you like to come of it? Do you want someone to come out and say how much they hate the baggies?

If you're going to guest on an opposition forum then you should atleast make an attempt to ignore the (inevitable) inflammatory remarks and give a better account of your football club's supporters.

They already have.

Just merely responding to claims that you don't care about us when their are Villa supporters which do. No matter how much you try to cover it up. But still, never mind.

You really, really want us to hate you. Really yearn for some attention.

Truth is, I for one have never, ever seen baggies as a derby. Yeah your nearby but I've never had any hatred towards you, not more than I have for any other club barring small heath.

I would actually go on to say I hate Man cityand chelsea more than you lot.

To me, baggies is just another game, perhaps its because I live in Castle Bromwich and not near the black country. But I still guarantee small heath is the big derby for black country based villa fans.

The way I see it, to us Blues is the only real derby and the only real hatred that comes from Villa.

Blues, Baggies, Wolves, Walsall, Coventry etc etc all hate us. Why? Because you've all been in our shadow for 99% of your ENTIRE history. Yeah you might have the odd year where you finish above us or beat us, and you harp on about it constantly because your finally matching up to the big club in the area. Whereas quite frankly, the big club doesnt care about your tinpot club or bitter fans.

Â