Ratings and reactions: Villa 1-1 Baggies

bickster

On a different day, we'd have won that. Unlucky to concede and the officials made some odd calls. Holman was excellent. Sluggish at times but we the better side for large parts of the game. I thought Bennett was excellent, although our set piece delivery was poor once again. Bent did well to score and he needs to do that more to prove he can start. Benteke, despite his poor start troubled the West Brom defence plenty with his presence.

Don't get the negativity. It was a decent performance at the beginning and towards the end and were it not for poor finishing we would've won that. Also showed plenty of fight and spirit to come back from a goal behind.

Agreed. I gave out a lot of sixes but it was one of those "greater than the sum" team efforts. The only really lacking area was obviously the front third, but that sort of performance is going to pick up points more often than not.

A fairly decent performance but I wish we'd learn to get these simple errors out of our game. The passing was fluid and purposeful but we give the ball away far far too easily still. It would have been daylight robbery if WBA won that, but why do Villa always have to give me a heart attack every time we play.

How angry and fed up did Darren sound in the post match interview? He should never have been captain in the first place, but that seems to have really upset him.

Should motivate him more, good man management by paul Lambert. Bent will have a fire in his Belly from now on. Hungrier for future.games.. Bent will come back a better player.

Sorry but that's just laughable. I like Paul Lambert but he made a major error in not starting Bent today. If he had started I think there's every chance that we would have won the game.

Paul Lambert makes an awful lot of mistakes when it comes to personnel and tactics which is quite worrying.

5 Points from West Ham,Everton,Newcastle,Swansea,Southampton and West Brom is alarming. We will really sttuggle to get to 40 points this year.

- We missed Ireland a lot.

- We missed Weimann's movement and work rate which would free up space for the other striker.

- Bannan is our only good corner taker.

- KEA didn't do too well in the role he plays, I would play Herd next game.

- Bent needs to start.

- Holman's work rate is exceptional, his technical ability is getting better too.

- I don't think we can play with just one winger, either no wingers or 2.

Funny game this. We were better before their goal and never derserved to lose base on the performance before that, and we looked off the pace right after and looking likely to give up and lose by 2-0 then all of a sudden we scored from a Corner against all odds!!!

Would have taken 1 pt at start but I thought we derserved more than that.

Not a terrible result. We had a lot of the ball today but should have tested Foster more than we did. Maybe we needed someone like Ireland to play the killer ball around the box.

Holman MotM but we didn't see as much of him in the second half.

Benteke needs to be back on the bench. I like what he can add to the team but his hold up play and finishing were poor today.

I said on the Benteke thread that we just aren't good enough a side to leave out a potential 20 goal a season man. I thought the first-half was really positive, really liked the attitude but we really needed a goal to show for it. Once we went a goal down it was almost like we didn't know how to respond which I guess goes with the territory when you're rebuilding a fragile team. The changes made a difference and I would expect all 3 to start the next match. Holman was man of the match for me.

Bennett is going to be a cracker of a player for us. Very impressed with him today. On balance a fair result, although I really felt we were going to sneak it at the end.

In regard to baggies - how about those Popov cross field passes! Things of beauty tbqh

bannan and ireland are the only villa midfielders who can pass a ball forward, when fit both should play

decent performance but we really haven't played any of the big boys yet and that is quite a scary thought

i thought allbrighton was utter garbish, he trys hard but just does not have the quality or pace for a winger

overall 6/10, work in progress

Bennett is going to be a cracker of a player for us. Very impressed with him today. On balance a fair result, although I really felt we were going to sneak it at the end.

In regard to baggies - how about those Popov cross field passes! Things of beauty tbqh

Agree and agree.

Holman man of the match again for me though. Quick mention to N'Zogbia too, thought he a good game.

If Bent was whiney he shouls shut the **** up. He has been average so far this year, and is not in posession of a divine right to start. However his football today is what mattered and he got us a point. He will start next match and he needs to be a team player.

First half: very promising, plenty of good marks

Second half - first half hour, dribbling gobshite. Paniced, and the defence were ropey and we lost composure, I didn't see us getting anything at that point. Mercifully we woke up and once we scored we were back to the first half standard and we could have won it. Overall, though have to be content with a point. 4 defeats from 6 would have been very poor. Work to do, in defence and being more clinical up front. Benteke should have some more sub roles before he starts tbh. His profligacy cost us, by not capitalising when we were doing well in the first half.

Guzan 7 - fine, don't think he could have done much about the goal

Lowton 5

Vlaar 5

Clark 6

Bennett 5

Defence in general, always seems like there are holes around. And the goal was poor from Lowton and Vlaar. Clark was good, but Bennet was ok, work to do, unlucky with the free kick.

holman 7.5 good running and good strikes, better passing mom

kea 6 - fairly anonymous I thought didn't see much of him.

delph 7-seemed pretty good, unlucky with the yellow card, glad to see him improving.

Albrighton - 6 started well enough, but faded in the second half. maybe its fitness still needs to return but appears to be more confident, again glad he's back in around the side.

gabby 5- where were you gabby? disappeared most of the match.

benteke 4- woeful. Held the ball up ok, but **** me it's a young heskey with finishing like that :s get onto the bench with him for a while

subs

nzogbia 6 - did ok I think coming on

bent 7 - does what he does, got the point.

bannan 6.5 peah was fine in his spell

lambert 6.5 brave call, but whatever happened at half time buggered us up.

Bit more concerned after today.

I think we battled hard, gave it a proper go but again the lack of experience and class were clearly evident. It takes time for a new side to gel, but the PL is an unforgiving league and you will get punished if you don't shape up quickly

I make a habit of not looking at the table until 10 games have been played but i'm starting to think it's going to make pretty grim reading come then

Not sure what the answer is, but thinking young lads can all come in and become stars straight away isn't it i'm sure

Benteke is exactly what we should have all expected, a 21 year old rough (possible) diamond. To expect him to be a starter already is asking a hell of a lot IMHO

We started both halves poorly. Went on to dominate the first half, felt they edged the second half overall. Need to sharpen in the final third and I feel Lambert needs to choose his favourite two up front and start them consistently. Holman MOTM.

Not too downbeat as we salvaged a point and are so much better to watch than last season.

- We missed Ireland a lot.

- We missed Weimann's movement and work rate which would free up space for the other striker.

- Bannan is our only good corner taker.

- KEA didn't do too well in the role he plays, I would play Herd next game.

- Bent needs to start.

- Holman's work rate is exceptional, his technical ability is getting better too.

- I don't think we can play with just one winger, either no wingers or 2.

:evil:

Not to take anything away from Bannan, but Albrighton's delivery was excellent throughout the game. Commentators were baffled how he always got it into a dangerous area with pace on it and so was I.

Thought we did okay today. A little exposed at the back and not very effective upfront, but all in all had a good grip on the game.

Guzan 6 - Didn't have too much to do.

Lowton 5 - Out of position and broke of defensive line. Ineffective going forward, but got better towards the end of the game.

Vlaar 7 - Unlucky with the goal. Had a good game.

Clark 7 - Solid if unspectacular.

Bennett 7 - Very promising. I think he'll be a good signing.

Holman 7 - Hard working effort, a few nice efforts on goal.

Ahmedi 6 - Decent finish which just about get's him a 6, but poor first 70 min.

Delph 7 - Sat deep, but had a few runs and forward passes in a game were there we struggled for ideas.

Albrighton 7.5 - Our only creative player in 1st half. Looked dangerous every time he was on the ball.

Benteke 4 - Poor. First touch was off. Didn't use his strength at all. One decent effort, but lost the ball almost every time he got a touch to it.

Abgonlahor 6 - Some promising play but wasn't involved enough. Let down by his strike partner.

Bent 7 - Good impact as a sub. Looked likely to get a 2nd if he had more time. Might fault Lambert for putting him on the bench, but I'm sure being a sub gave a needed kick up the backside.

Bannan 7 - Very good. Got forward more than Delph and was instumental in our surge at the end.

N'Zogbia 6 - Decent enough but not enough involved to make a difference.

Â