Ashley Westwood

Nabby

There's a reason these players why you think these players are "anonymous". The things they do you don't notice. Thats the bit I think you're missing. 

Michael Carrick - Successful in an England shirt? Yes or No?

Sorry Woodytom, I don't want my central midfielder doing 100 stepovers before passing the ball.

Get and give seems to be a good system if you ask me.

I assume you mean Westwood 'gets and gives it'?? Yeah quality system for us atm. Really dominating games in midfield and flying high in the league.

Edited by Woodytom

Moral high ground on a football forum. 

I won't be able to see your posts on the forum after today so UTV!

Is there anything more pathetic than one stranger bragging to another stranger about ignoring him on an Internet forum?

Hilarious. At least you understand football though. Good work.

I think Ashley Westwood is a decent player and has had some excellent games for us.

But I also think he is a very weak player who has also had periods where he has had little impact on the team.

You can compare him to Carrick in style and approach but he's no where near the level that Carrick is when it comes to having an impact in matches.

I think there's a chance he could reach a level close to that in the future but as of right now he's still a young player who's lack of quality at times has contributed to us being in the bottom 3.

I would however still class him as a good signing.

There's a reason these players why you think these players are "anonymous". The things they do you don't notice. Thats the bit I think you're missing. 

But we're not talking about International level?

We're talking about premier league level, because we're comparing Westwood with Carrick. I don't see what playing for England has to do with it. 

Westwood is sort of like Tiote for Newcastle. 

Edited by KjParton

We're talking about premier league level, because we're comparing Westwood with Carrick. I don't see what playing for England has to do with it. 

Carrick was never picked as much as he should have been though, even though he is the perfect player to get others into gear.

That is probably why he decided not to go to the EC as a reserve, as he knows he deserves much more.

27 International games, should have been 87.

Carrick could not get in the England team because we had the triple golden balls Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard.

His game was ahead of his time as the deep-lying playmaker has only just become the standard all successful teams must adopt.

Previously everyone wanted defensive midfielders - the Makelele - and box-to-box CAM like Ballack, Gerrard, Lampard etc.

Edited by Con

Carrick was never picked as much as he should have been though, even though he is the perfect player to get others into gear.

That is probably why he decided not to go to the EC as a reserve, as he knows he deserves much more.

27 International games, should have been 87. 307 games in 7 seasons for Manchester United, always a starter - winning the league and the Champions League, but still never picked. Amazing.

Westwood is sort of like Tiote for Newcastle. 

Well you questioned why I might think players are anonymous and I had earlier said that carrick was anonymous for England.

At Club level I dont think Carricks anonymous. I see what he does and he is good at it. Club level is a lower standard to International of course.

Westwood is poor at Club level imo.

Its not about me not seeing what they do, that makes me think they are anonymous! Its because they arent very good.

27 International games, should have been 87.

I can guess that he would have a similar impact for England over 87 games as he has over 27 - ZERO!

I think Ashley Westwood is a decent player and has had some excellent games for us.

But I also think he is a very weak player who has also had periods where he has had little impact on the team.

You can compare him to Carrick in style and approach but he's no where near the level that Carrick is when it comes to having an impact in matches.

I think there's a chance he could reach a level close to that in the future but as of right now he's still a young player who's lack of quality at times has contributed to us being in the bottom 3.

Nobody is comparing them in ability, Carrick is obviously miles ahead. But he's also 10 years ahead in his career. I don't think Westwood has had much impact in our descent into the bottom 3. That's like saying Guzan and Benteke have contributed just because they've played in the team.

• Like 1

It is fair to say Westwood is not to blame for our position in the league.

Inability to defend leads is the reason we are in the relegation zone. That's due to defensive errors.

Last two games we lost - Man City, Liverpool - were both lost to schoolboy errors a more mature back line probably wouldn't have made.

With a better performing defence I think Westwood and Bannan would be looked at in a new light.

Nobody is comparing them in ability, Carrick is obviously miles ahead. But he's also 10 years ahead in his career. I don't think Westwood has had much impact in our descent into the bottom 3. That's like saying Guzan and Benteke have contributed just because they've played in the team.

Not really.

It's quite clear the impact both Benteke and Guzan have had on this team.

While Westwood has put in some excellent performances i don't think it could be argued he's had anywhere near the impact the other two have. Benteke and Guzan can be the difference between getting a point or 3 and losing. I don't think Westwood is currently that important to the team.

Our midfield has been very weak this year. Both in terms of helping the defence and creating for the attack. I think Westwood has been guilty of that at times and has certainly IMO been part of the reason we're down near the bottom.

Unlike other players currently not good enough I think Westwood shows a lot of potential for the future.

Westwood is a tidy player who does the basics well and in many ways he is one of a few players like Lowton who is consistent.

he rarely lets anyone down

but does he tackle and offer a midfield defensive shield? Ummmm not really although he covers a lot of ground and closes down well

does he create lots of goals or score goals? Ummmm well he's had his moments not many but a few, but i wouldn't say he is very creative or attack minded player.

Aside from a few blips he has definitely been getting better but at the moment he is a slightly above average player in a team of mostly average players who i think will continue to improve.

It's unfair to say that Westwood can't be playing well because we're low down in the league. By that logic no-one can be playign well for a team in our position.

Just because he hasn't singlehandedly dragged us into the top half doesn't mean he's not played well.

Exactly. Blame can not be lumped onto one person.

I believe this season. Benteke, Weimann, Guzan & Westy have played WELL. The rest have either played averagely or below par, resulting in us being in our predicament.