Joe Bennett

Si.

I honestly couldn't give a monkey's chuff what you find pathetic, I imagine I've been watching the Villa a bit longer than you.

Pathetic, immature better fan behaviour and I expect far better from an older fan.

Why all this emphasis on the first season on a new league?

Being in your first season doesn't give you licence to play poor football. It was the same for Lowton and Westwood and they did OK where Bennett did not. That's just how it is.

Different players adapt at different speeds. Bale? Modric? Essien? Top, top players that looked poor at the start of their PL careers. I can go on with more but I think my point is made.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I honestly couldn't give a monkey's chuff what you find pathetic, I imagine I've been watching the Villa a bit longer than you.

Pathetic, immature better fan behaviour and I expect far better from an older fan.

Why all this emphasis on the first season on a new league?

Being in your first season doesn't give you licence to play poor football. It was the same for Lowton and Westwood and they did OK where Bennett did not. That's just how it is.

Different players adapt at different speeds. Bale? Modric? Essien? Top, top players that looked poor at the start of their PL careers. I can go on with more but I think my point is made.

Bales first season with spurs they didn't win a game with him in the team I'm pretty sure, and he played quite a few games. No doubt spurs are upset they persevered with him. People seem just to evaluate Bennett on the shocking spell after Christmas where he made mistakes and conveniently forget his better performances later on. Maybe as they had made up their minds and would hate to be proved wrong

• Like 1

^ and does that make your opinion more valid than Stefans? 

Not JUST that, no.  But in 30+ years of watching Villa, I can't remember a left back with less defensive ability than Bennett, however old he is.

^ and does that make your opinion more valid than Stefans? 

Not JUST that, no.  But in 30+ years of watching Villa, I can't remember a left back with less defensive ability than Bennett, however old he is.

In this time how often has Villa played 433 offering little protection to the left back? I think the standard and variety of offensive players has increased hugely compared to 30yrs ago which impacts on how well the defenders are perceived to be. Has Luna really been much better defensively than Bennett since he's been here compared to how Bennett ended last season, I don't think he has been. Did you watch the Newcastle game?

Bale was 17/18 when he signed for Spurs. which was only a couple of years after he'd left school.  Bennett is a) never going to make it as a Premier League defender, and b ) isn't really fit to lace Gareth Bale's boots.

Edited by Risso

Ah, I get it. You're using one of my names as an example of how I'm wrong then compared how good they both are, which wasn't what my post was about. I was deliberately using 'top players' (please try to read a bit more carefully, I even clearly said that) to show that even top players sometimes take time to settle. So to use that point against me is pretty terrible debating.

Especially the likes of Essien, Modric, Dzeko, Kaboul etc etc etc who were grown men that took a season to settle. Then look at their careers. Bennett was 21(?) when he signed and struggled to settle. That doesn't make him 'the worst LB in over 30 years', get a bloody grip.

Bale was 17/18 when he signed for Spurs. which was only a couple of years after he'd left school.  Bennett is a) never going to make it as a Premier League defender, and b ) isn't really fit to lace Gareth Bale's boots.

still has more technical ability than KEA and can cross a ball unlike the rest of the midfield.

also at times he has been decent defensively as well as awful, my feeling is he could make it if he changes his weight/muscle ratio and haircut.

with Villa when anyone is shit there is no covering for them, all players make mistakes in other teams it just seems that because average players can't mop up other average player's mistakes, therefore we get punished for every mistake made big or small.

Why are you continuing this ridiculous argument?  Bennett has not shown a single thing to suggest that he's going to make it at this level.  Comparing him to sone of the best players in the Premier League who may or may not have got off to slightly slow starts proves nothing.  I'd be interested to hear which left back has been worse than Bennett in that time, because defensively he's as bad as I've seen at Villa.

Why are you continuing this ridiculous argument?  Bennett has not shown a single thing to suggest that he's going to make it at this level.  Comparing him to sone of the best players in the Premier League who may or may not have got off to slightly slow starts proves nothing.  I'd be interested to hear which left back has been worse than Bennett in that time, because defensively he's as bad as I've seen at Villa.

Apart from technically he's one of our best players and his form towards the end of last season. In fact why should he be written off? That's what confuses me most 

Apart from technically he's one of our best players and his form towards the end of last season. In fact why should he be written off? That's what confuses me most 

This really looks like a question for the manager, who appears to have dropped him even from the bench.

Bennett can put in a decent cross, no question.  But the defensive side of his game is non-existent.  And he's never going to play as a winger in our 4-3-3 system, so really think he'll be shipped out at the end of this season.

Really, this idea that gets wheeled out from time to time, that Bennett is going to turn out to be the new Bale, is absurd.

JESUS **** CHRIST. HOW MANY TIMES.

I DIDN'T COMPARE BALE TO BENNETT ON ABILITY. NOT ONCE. I used him as an example (along with Kaboul, Essien, Dzeko and Modric, but you guys have conveniently left these out in order to try and discredit me) to show that even TOP PLAYERS (TWICE I'VE SAID THIS) take time to adapt to this league.

• Like 1

Really, this idea that gets wheeled out from time to time, that Bennett is going to turn out to be the new Bale, is absurd.

JESUS **** CHRIST. HOW MANY TIMES.

I DIDN'T COMPARE BALE TO BENNETT ON ABILITY. NOT ONCE. I used him as an example (along with Kaboul, Essien, Dzeko and Modric, but you guys have conveniently left these out in order to try and discredit me) to show that even TOP PLAYERS (TWICE I'VE SAID THIS) take time to adapt to this league.

I didn't say you HAD him based on ability, just that your whole argument is clearly nonsense.  Why not list the ream of players who have come from the lower leagues and haven't made it?  Some players will take longer to make an impact, but those who are good at what they are supposed to be doing, have a better chance of making it.  Joe Bennett can't defend, hence I don't think he'll make it as a left back.

I'm not saying he will or he won't. Just that he needs more than one bloody season without his own fan writing him off and giving him abuse.

He doesn't deserve abuse of course.  It's up to his manager to give him more than one season, but there doesn't appear to be any sign of that happening so far, seeing as he can't even get in the matchday squad.

Â